Brooklyn embarkation

Seal

We'll be boarding the Caribbean Princess in Brooklyn--Have never boarded there--soooooo a couple of questions for those that have embarked in Brooklyn.

What time are you allowed aboard??? I'm aware of what they want us to do--which is to go in the afternoon--if we are able, we prefer to board in the morning about 11 or noon--most all times we've been able to do this excluding San Juan which is quite serious about 1 pm. We enjoy having lunch in the MDR on embarkation day and most times we are successful doing that--Just don't ask questions about which dining room is open--you will be told that none are--but.....just a few minutes to go and open the dining room doors and if you find the one with a few people in it--that's it. I think that is the best way to begin your cruise--enough of just getting there--getting the bags to where they belong.

Would love to hear from those of you who have had the Brooklyn experience

Thanks

Nancy:D:D

We went around 11 am and were on the ship shortly after. This was 2 years ago...

Thanks for the info--we'll be going early--why sit in a hotel lobby to watch the time go by then get on our way??

Thanks

Boarding will usually start no later than noon.

A dining room will be open for lunch from Noon until 1:30. Princess has been better about letting people know about this lately.

Good--things seem to have changed a bit--we've been on 20-some Princess cruises but have not cruised this past year--seems things are looking up!!

Thanks,

Embarcation in Brooklyn is very easy and organized. Between 11 - 11:30 the BVE folks will board, followed by Elites/Suites/Platinums. There is a small Elite lounge in Brooklyn. The rest is done by first come first serve with a number system.

Good--things seem to have changed a bit--we've been on 20-some Princess cruises but have not cruised this past year--seems things are looking up!!

On the maps now handed out at check-in it says "Shortly after we wlecome you aboard, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship's dining rooms. Check your Princess Patter for dining locations and times."

And, the Patter will list which dining room and the time (usually just noon-1:30).

So there is not the denial there has been in the past.

A couple of years ago on one ship, when we asked at the correct dining room we were told it was not open for lunch even though we could see people eating at a distant point from the entrance.

Last year on the same ship, people were eating right near the entrance and we were welcomed with open arms.

Just my 2 cents....boarding for BVE in Brooklyn a few weeks ago was very smooth. Parked the car, walked across the street, passed through the check points, checked in with Princess rep, sat in waiting area for 10 min., lined up for boarding with the other BVE'ers, had complimetary picture taken, up the gangways onto the ship. Cruisecard picture taken at entrance. I would estimate from parking the car to arriving onboard 35 min. Coral dining room was to the right of the security station. MDR lunch was good but "hurried" waiter asked for our whole order (including dessert selection)

Just my 2 cents....boarding for BVE in Brooklyn a few weeks ago was very smooth. Parked the car, walked across the street, passed through the check points, checked in with Princess rep, sat in waiting area for 10 min., lined up for boarding with the other BVE'ers, had complimetary picture taken, up the gangways onto the ship. Cruisecard picture taken at entrance. I would estimate from parking the car to arriving onboard 35 min. Coral dining room was to the right of the security station. MDR lunch was good but "hurried" waiter asked for our whole order (including dessert selection)

Okay--I'm going to show my ignorance --what is BVE???

Nancy

Okay--I'm going to show my ignorance --what is BVE???

Nancy

Bon Voyage Experience.

At some USA ports on embarkation day, you can come on the ship for 3-4 hours at a cost of $39. You get to explore the ship, have lunch in the dining room (or elsewhere if you prefer), relax on deck, etc. You can also purchase FCCs if you wish.

It is a good way to introduce friends and relatives to a cruise ship although you can book it without being associated with a person who is cruising.

The $39 can be applied to a cruise if you book within 90 days.

Bon Voyage Experience.

At some USA ports on embarkation day, you can come on the ship for 3-4 hours at a cost of $39. You get to explore the ship, have lunch in the dining room (or elsewhere if you prefer), relax on deck, etc. You can also purchase FCCs if you wish.

It is a good way to introduce friends and relatives to a cruise ship although you can book it without being associated with a person who is cruising.

The $39 can be applied to a cruise if you book within 90 days.

Thanks

Nancy

So there is not the denial there has been in the past.

A couple of years ago on one ship, when we asked at the correct dining room we were told it was not open for lunch even though we could see people eating at a distant point from the entrance.

This is the exact opposite of my experience for many years on Princess. The embarkation lunch has always been listed in the Patter and we have always been politely directed to the correct dining room by Princess employees.

This is the exact opposite of my experience for many years on Princess. The embarkation lunch has always been listed in the Patter and we have always been politely directed to the correct dining room by Princess employees.

There have been times (several years ago) they tried to turn me away from the dining room that was serving lunch. I showed them the Princess press release which said embarkation day lunch in a dining room was now a feature of Princess cruises and they reluctently let us in.

Thanks for this, we will be doing the BVE a week from Saturday. What time were you able to get on the ship? What time did you leave? Thanks!

Thanks for this, we will be doing the BVE a week from Saturday. What time were you able to get on the ship? What time did you leave? Thanks!

We were on the ship before 11:30 and left approx. 3:15. It was a picture perfect clear day in NY. We purchased FCC's and I am trying to book for 2013 to take advantage of the extra credits.

I am definitely interested in doing this for my DH, we are sailing on the Caribbean in a couple of months out of FLL and altough we have been on the Caribbean several times, think it would get us in the mood for our cruise. What time did you arrive at the terminal? How much was parking across the street?

I just tried to book through Princess so we can go on the ship while she is still in NY and they couldn't do it - only the date of our sailing. Did you book it through your travel agent, or did you have friends on the sailing you visited on?

I just tried to book through Princess so we can go on the ship while she is still in NY and they couldn't do it - only the date of our sailing. Did you book it through your travel agent, or did you have friends on the sailing you visited on?

You do not have to know anyone onboard to participate in the BVE. The only restrictions on the BVE are the number of guests allowed on for each sailing (I think it is 50). You must also book it a week in advance and not every sailing has a BVE available. Call Princess again, someone gave you incorrect information.

We were on the ship before 11:30 and left approx. 3:15. It was a picture perfect clear day in NY. We purchased FCC's and I am trying to book for 2013 to take advantage of the extra credits.

Great!! We plan on doing that too :)

One more question. Is a drivers license an acceptable form of ID or do we need passports?

I am definitely interested in doing this for my DH, we are sailing on the Caribbean in a couple of months out of FLL and altough we have been on the Caribbean several times, think it would get us in the mood for our cruise. What time did you arrive at the terminal? How much was parking across the street?

We got to the terminal approx. 10:45 am. Parking was $13.00

Archived