Room selection - 1st time cruise on Oceania

rockport

I am looking at booking at cruise in 2013 on the Rivieria (Rome to Venice). We have only sailed once before on the Windstar and thoroughly enjoyed the casual atmosphere, small ship feel and easy access into the ports. Hopefully the Rivieria won't feel as big as some of those mega 3000 room ships! I have a good feeling though that this will be one special cruise. I am getting ready to select a room so my question is whether there is usually a better side of the ship to book? Does it depend on whether you prefer privacy or want to see all the action at the port? Does the same side of the ship usually dock facing the town or ocean at each port? Also, is it worth upgrading to a concierge room for the sake of having priority reservation service at the restaurants? I am currently looking at a Veranda mid-ship room, with balcony. Thanks!

It is a 50/50 chance you will face the port when docking.

It will certainly not feel as big as the 3000pax ship but it will be a bit roomier than Windstar ;)

Upgrading to concierge is a personal choice

Some people would not sail in anything less than a PH

The A, B & C cabins Cat are all the same size

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Thanks Lyn. That's what I figured so no need to worry about which side the room is...so long as I pick one that is "well located", mid ship. We are active 50 year olds and will spend a lot of time off the ship exploring, but it will be nice to have a balcony at the end of the day!

I loved the Windstar and now that it is refurbished intend to go back on it..Oceania is a huge difference from Windstar..and I am sure you will love both experiences..glad you are getting a balcony..I am sure you will enjoy it..

Jancruz1

As to which side -- port or starboard -- is best in terms of views, that can depend on the itinerary. Here is where a good TA can be a great help.

On our recent Black Sea cruise friends on the port side had a great view one day of a sailing ship passing by (they thought it might be a Windstar). But when we were coming into Istanbul at the end of the cruise, our view from a starboard cabin was superior. OTOH, at the beginning of the cruise when we were passing through the Dardanelles on our way to Bulgaria, our view was zilch and the other side was best.

Mura

About restaurants - concierge cabins get the same number of reservations as balcony cabins -

Number of reservations (Marina and Riviera):

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Oceania Suite

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

8+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

All other suites and staterooms

All Sailings: 1 reservation at each restaurant

You do have to wait a bit longer to reserve your 4 restaurants but I didn't have any trouble doing so in my balcony cabin. Just make a note of your allowed date (it is in our statement from the cruise line or calculate it).

Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms can make reservations 60 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms can make reservations 45 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

And if you are lucky, you can get extra reservations once on board. We got two visits to Red Ginger last time!

We traveled once in a concierge cabin and once in a balcony cabin. When we were in the concierge cabin, we were three people and the extra space was great for early risers. Apart from that, I believe the cabins are the same. Different locations, of course.

Thanks everyone for the great info. Our Windstar cruise was from Athens to Istanbul in Sept 20111, prior to refurbishment. One day, I will go back again...but the Oceania itinerary seems great even though I have already spent time (land) in Italy. Love it there...but I haven't visit Sicily, Corfu, Montenegro or Dubrovnik yet. Should be a great trip to celebrate our 30th anniversary.

With the cruise you are considering Venice is the ALL important aspect whether you sail into or out of will determine port or starboard. If you are sailing out of Venice you want port side. If sailing into Venice you want starboard side. Venice is one of the most beautiful harbours as you pass St Mark's Square. The view is sublime. Naturally, the higher the deck the more impressive the view in this instance. If you don't book a balcony cabin, you can always find somewhere on deck to get the view though.

Port or starboard cabins often are a consideration if you want to have the sun on your balcony, I realise you're not doing a transatlantic, both it's something we consider before booking our cabin when we go on one. :)

How important do you think it is to have a sunny balcony on a westbound crossing in November? I read this, and suddenly realized we're starboard, which means basically no sun on the balcony at all for most of the crossing.

At the time I booked it was the most midship PH3 available--I wonder if I should ask if there are any portside cabins that have come available?

How important do you think it is to have a sunny balcony on a westbound crossing in November? I read this, and suddenly realized we're starboard, which means basically no sun on the balcony at all for most of the crossing.

At the time I booked it was the most midship PH3 available--I wonder if I should ask if there are any portside cabins that have come available?

We have done a few Transatlantics, they are our favourite type of cruise. For us, given the choice, whatever the time of year, I'd always go for a South facing cabin. I do think it makes a difference. Transatlantics don't tend to book up too quickly, probably worth checking if you can change? We don't tend to ever sail in the Penthouse cabins though, we're usually in the cheap seats, so anything that's free (like the odd burst of sunshine!) is good for me. :D

Had to respond because your post was exactly what I wanted to post. We are also going on this cruise and I am overwhelmed as to how to pick a stateroom, which floor is best?? We have paid for B1, and I usually prefer the higher the better, but someone on this forum indicated the 10 and 11 floors had obstructed views? Does anyone know where I can find this post or whether this is the case?

We have paid for B1, and I usually prefer the higher the better, but someone on this forum indicated the 10 and 11 floors had obstructed views? Does anyone know where I can find this post or whether this is the case?

There are no obstructed view Cabins on the Marina or the Riviera, you must be thinking about another ship.

Archived