Ipad use on Royal Carribbean ships?

Our cruise in January will be our 3rd total, and 1st on Royal Carribbean (Liberty of the Seas). On Princess, I was able to pre-purchase internet time and use my Ipad in my cabin. When I checked RC's FAQ's, they mention needing a 'laptop, Windows based OS and 802.11b wireless capability'. They also mention, that other than the Internet cafe, there are approximately 6 'hot spots' on board.

Can any seasoned cruisers of RC tell me if I have to leave my Ipad at home and drag my laptop with me instead? I have to (big sigh:() do some work while on 'vaca' and my Ipad is SO much easier to transport!

Many thanks!:)

I took my ipad on the Rhapsody Alaska cruise, it worked great, I used all our D+ internet coupons for free minutes, then I bought a small package. No problems setting it up, worked great!

Some have mentioned using a log off feature, I just logged off the normal way on the log off screen from RC and then turned off the ipad, I didn't have any issues doing it that way.

We have taken our iPad on Liberty before and it works great. You have wireless internet throughout the ship including your cabin. All you need to do is set up your account on a RCI computer and pick your internet package and after that you can logon with your laptop. Don't forget to bookmark the logoff page or you may have difficulty logging off.

I took my ipad on the Rhapsody Alaska cruise, it worked great, I used all our D+ internet coupons for free minutes, then I bought a small package. No problems setting it up, worked great!

Some have mentioned using a log off feature, I just logged off the normal way on the log off screen from RC and then turned off the ipad, I didn't have any issues doing it that way.

DW discovered that loging off didn't always work. Lost 30 minutes one time. What she did was log off then put the pad into airplane mode and no more lost Internet minutes. Maybe over kill but didn't lose any minutes after that.

The IPad was perfect for cruising.

I have a question for you, I am not very tech savvy other then my desktop computer and have never had anything beyond a regular Cell phone. My question, I would love to buy something that I could store our copies of Passports, credit card information and such for our Australia cruise in a little over a year, what would be the best device to use and not cost me $$$$. I normally print out all this then have to deal with folders. Thank you.

I have a question for you, I am not very tech savvy other then my desktop computer and have never had anything beyond a regular Cell phone. My question, I would love to buy something that I could store our copies of Passports, credit card information and such for our Australia cruise in a little over a year, what would be the best device to use and not cost me $$$$. I normally print out all this then have to deal with folders. Thank you.

The basic Kindle e-reader will display pictures although only in black and white.

Paul

Hi Shelley, & thank you, I was looking at that. We have such a long flight to Sydney a year from March, I wanted something I could play games on or read without laying out a fortune. I already bought my new Canon SX40 12 MP and know I could photograph all this which I may still do.:). We will spend 9 days sight seeing after the NZ cruise before the Transpacific so wanted to really upgrade my camera.

Gay

I use Dropbox for my information. You can set up a folder just for your cruise, copy all documents and information into the folder and you are good to go. You can access your Dropbox folder from any computer anywhere.

I second the Kindle Fire suggestion. I have a IPad (using it right now) but the screen on the Kindle is easier on the eyes. I have a regular Kindle which I plan to bring on my cruise for reading, along with my IPad for everything else. If money was not an issue, I would consolidate the two devices into one Kindle Fire

My hat is off to any of you who can use the iPad successfully ANYWHERE! I am much better with a PC, laptop, or netbook. Even my DH (who is very good with things like that) doesn't like it. Im about ready to turn mine into a frisbee.:rolleyes::eek::D

DW discovered that loging off didn't always work. Lost 30 minutes one time. What she did was log off then put the pad into airplane mode and no more lost Internet minutes. Maybe over kill but didn't lose any minutes after that.

Yep. I discovered that the RC logoff page sometimes didn't work or somehow went away and I couldn't even find it to hit logoff. So when I did the transpacific from Australia to Hawaii this past April (you're going to LOVE it, Gay!), I never even fooled with trying to logoff. When I was finished online, I would just put the ipad into airplane mode and that disconnected me with no problem and no lost minutes.

Tracy

I appreciate all these suggestions, between the new Canon SX40 and new Dell, I have laid out around $800, maybe I will just lug the new Dell around.:D Seriously, I think the Kindle Fire would suit me, it is small enough and if I can read, play games during our long flight and store important copies and have it available to quickly access from the one unit that seems to be the way to go. It certainly would avoid all these folders I end up taking. Next, one of you can stop by and show me how to set it up.;)

Tracy, we are so looking forward to our first trip to Australia and taking the TP back to Honolulu. This has been a dream trip of ours and will be taking our daughter on her very first cruise, she is involved with Australian animals and travels the states lecturing.

Gay

Yep. I discovered that the RC logoff page sometimes didn't work or somehow went away and I couldn't even find it to hit logoff. So when I did the transpacific from Australia to Hawaii this past April (you're going to LOVE it, Gay!), I never even fooled with trying to logoff. When I was finished online, I would just put the ipad into airplane mode and that disconnected me with no problem and no lost minutes.

Tracy

Lisa was glad to hear it wasn't just her. She wasn't happy when she lost the 30 minutes.

Andrew

Archived