MDR food for room service

2 cruzen

Didn't want to start a controversy over my question..The reason we ordered off of room service (and is was nice that the option of MDR food was available on HAL) last year was because we were in Aruba very late....7 pm....had early set dining so missed our dinner. By the time we got back and cleaned up, the buffets were closed. didn't just want the room service option and then remembered HAL offered anything off their MDR menu as long as they were still serving. Thankfully for us, late dining was still going on.

It's funny to me how 2 cruise lines, owned by the same corporation has such different policies. But I guess it is for different types of cruisers. REALLY liked some things on HAL but missed many of the more "fun" things going on with Carnival.

I don't think you started a controversy. It was the poster who thinks everyone should vacation the same way he/she does. Have a great cruise!

Why would I want to bring food back to our room? Well, we'll be traveling with our 2 year old and she might not be in a mood to go to the MDR. I don't want to ruin anyone's experience in the MDR because my toddler is having a meltdown. She is little but she is LOUD ! Also if there is a chance we get the upsell call and get a balcony, I can't imagine a nicer dinner than eating it on your own private balcony at sunset. To each their own.

our little girl was crying our first cruise i asked and they let us take food out the MDR

Why does it bother you what they want to do on their vacation? :confused:

Really. I cruise alone and sometimes don't even leave my cabin one single time during the day. I work really, really hard at a high stress job where much of my day is on the phone with clients....some not happy. I'm also a bit of a loner who loves to spend a lot of time alone. When I go on a cruise, I get a balcony and spend 75% of my time on it reading and doing crossword puzzles. Some days I don't want to have to socialize or speak to anyone else. I have been known to eat all three meals in my cabin. It is true there are other lines with much better room service....particularly Celebrity where you can get full, hot breakfasts and dinner from the MDR menu.

I don't think you started a controversy. It was the poster who thinks everyone should vacation the same way he/she does. Have a great cruise!

I remember being on an elevator after re-boarding from Curacao and a lady going off about the rest of us being "shallow" since we didn't eat some weird food she had tried... her comment was something like, "why go to a foreign country if you're not going to try the local food?

I wanted to say, for the beautiful beaches, to see new things, to "whatever"....don't have to eat like Andrew Zimmerman (Travel channels weird food guy) to enjoy cruising to new places.

OK...I got off topic a little, but it is my thread! LOL :eek:

our little girl was crying our first cruise i asked and they let us take food out the MDR

Ooooooo this is excellent information! Thank you so much!!!! If she has a meltdown in the MDR (she could wake the dead when she is pitching a fit), they would probably pay us just to get us to leave! Haaaaaa!

Please don't take this the wrong way but Thank you for not wanting to bring your screaming child to the dining room. Some people could car less how disruptive this is to other guest. Let the flaming begin.....

Oh I didn't at all! :) I used to get so ticked off at other people for their screaming children and them not doing something about it. I said I'd never have a child like that, and then I did! haaaaa! :)

I think what I will do is warn the wait staff ahead of time that she will get very fussy after about an hour and we need to get in and out quick, or take food back to the room. We are doing ATD and we plan on being there right at 5:45. I'm also going to ask if I can get a table as far away from others as possible.... like in a corner or something or hey, maybe by a window!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I completely understand wanting to eat in youre room. Maybe for some people who say get out of your room and go eat their cruise is all about food. For me, I enjoy watching the water and the sunset from my balcony. We normally go to the MDR, but not having to center our cruise around meal times is nice too.

That being said, is there a room service menu posted anywhere?

We have, always, filled a couple of trays in the Lido and then wisked them down to our cabin for a romantic couples night. Actually, we have found this better than the cruise lines who do offer full service room service and much better than the paid for in room dinner that RCI offered (do they still do this). Sure it means throwing on a beach cover-up and getting out of bed for a few but at least we get all the stuff we really want...and someone does head to the bar and gets a very stiff, very fancy drink for us both. Actually the "getting" can be as much fun as the "eating"....and sitting on a balcony in our swimsuits with the evening breeze is a hoot.

And, yes, I have had room stewards help us out getting dining room food if we are sick and don't want to infect the rest of the ship. I have had delivered hot breakfast and dinner in my room that way.

I always thought the answer was no. But there are exceptions if you ask nicely. Our friends celabrated their anniversary on of the days on board the Freedom a couple weeks ago. She was able to persuade the Asst. Matrade into bringing her and her hubby food off the main breakfast menu along with mimosa's. He delivered it himself with another waiter with him. i was like GTFO!! I seen the remains with my own eyes so it can happen.

Why would I want to bring food back to our room? Well, we'll be traveling with our 2 year old and she might not be in a mood to go to the MDR. I don't want to ruin anyone's experience in the MDR because my toddler is having a meltdown. She is little but she is LOUD 😄! Also if there is a chance we get the upsell call and get a balcony, I can't imagine a nicer dinner than eating it on your own private balcony at sunset. To each their own. 😄

the lido buffet will have the same food as the MDR-minus a few items.

also know that there is no table out on the balcony- just that little parson type table. You will have to eat from your lap.

the room service menu--is what it is. no substituions.

http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/roomService.htm

the lido buffet will have the same food as the MDR-minus a few items.

also know that there is no table out on the balcony- just that little parson type table. You will have to eat from your lap.

the room service menu--is what it is. no substituions.

http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/roomService.htm

How about a few towels or blankets on the ground for a picnic?

Archived