Mystery

Solon

Firstly, thank you Jim and Stan, Mura, Lyn, Don et al. for all your time/efforts in unravelling the mysteries of travelling on Oceania. It is greatly appreciated, especially your patience in answering yet another question on dress code and drinks packages! :D People appear to be particularly concerned with alcohol and how they look. So, thanks. BUT the real mystery to me is who is/are Jim and Stan? Are they two people? If so, how can we know who is writing on which thread? And why does Jim always precede Stan. Is J&S like G&S (Gilbert and Sullivan)? So, who are you? :cool:

BUT the real mystery to me is who is/are Jim and Stan? Are they two people? If so, how can we know who is writing on which thread? And why does Jim always precede Stan.

Is J&S like G&S (Gilbert and Sullivan)

Because it is Jim

and YES reading between the lines on some of the posts :D

A bit like JoySav is 2 people on several other forums. :p

In previous years it was JIM & STAN OR STAN & JIM

Then CC had a meltdown & some people had to re register

so I think they are now just J & S

Most of the posts are from JIM (i think, hard to tell sometimes) ;)

Why is Jim always first...he is taller :D:D

Maybe one of them will tell us ;)

Lyn

Jim and Stan are referenced many times on the board because they (as well as Jancruz) seem to have a direct line to Oceania.

If an answer to a question is in doubt they are able to obtain information "from the top"

I assume they each have an office with a phone like this;)

That rings in FDR's office.

redphone.jpg.0a39cb016425223d38c08b568c28039e.jpg

Jim and Stan are referenced many times on the board because they (as well as Jancruz) seem to have a direct line to Oceania.

If an answer to a question is in doubt they are able to obtain information "from the top"

Mine is yellow..LOL

Jancruz1

A Rotary Dial phone...EGAD

I was hinting at the famous "red phone" that supposedly was a direct connection from the White House to Moscow

I assume it was rotary.;)

I remember visiting my parents when my children were small. They were fascinated by Mom's rotary phone. Now my grandson wants to try it.

It brings back many memories of a time when contact was not as "Instant".

I also remember the "party-line" days when you picked up the phone and could hear someone else's conversation. You had to wait until the line was free to make a call.

I was hit by a car (on my bike) when I was 12. My mother picked up the phone to call for an ambulance and the woman wanted to finish her call 1st because it was long-distance.:eek:

I was hinting at the famous "red phone" that supposedly was a direct connection from the White House to Moscow

I assume it was rotary.;)

I remember visiting my parents when my children were small. They were fascinated by Mom's rotary phone. Now my grandson wants to try it.

It brings back many memories of a time when contact was not as "Instant".

I also remember the "party-line" days when you picked up the phone and could hear someone else's conversation. You had to wait until the line was free to make a call.

I was hit by a car (on my bike) when I was 12. My mother picked up the phone to call for an ambulance and the woman wanted to finish her call 1st because it was long-distance.:eek:

Of course we knew it was the "famous red phone" I remember those days ..are we dating ourselves?? Since the presidents phone is red, I painted mine yellow..

Jancruz1

We had a party line in Los Angeles when I was a wee one. But fortunately we never encountered someone who wanted to finish her long distance call before we could call an ambulance! Obviously you recovered ...

Mura

In 1948 I spent lots of time on a sheep farm in New Zealand and remember the wooden phone box on the wall. One lefted the receiver and cranked a handle hree times to get the Putaruru operator so a call could be made.

In rthe thirties we lived in Hollywood Hills and the phone number had two letters and four digits. But that was pre UCLA..,"You See LA When The Smog Clears." :cool: Catalina Island was a mantelpiece.:)

the real mystery to me is who is/are Jim and Stan? Are they two people? If so, how can we know who is writing on which thread? And why does Jim always precede Stan. Is J&S like G&S (Gilbert and Sullivan)? So, who are you?

We ARE two people (almost three, by some counts) who live in Stamford Ct, and (after a long history of cruising elsewhere) "discovered" Oceania in 2005.

005610.jpg Jim left, Stan right

The "why do we do it" goes something like this:

On that very first cruise with Oceania, Barcelona to Istanbul on the old Insignia, Stan's mother had a fairly serious accident on the ship. At that time, nobody at Oceania knew us from Adam, and to make matters worse, I had the sinking feeling that the incident was 70% our fault.

Despite that, the entire staff were exceptionally kind and helpful to her; their above and beyond treatment made Mom feel important, which in turn kept her happy and enthusiastic about our trip despite her injuries. They really saved our cruise.

I won't bother you with all the grim details, but the incident ended with Oceania sending Mom flowers at home, wishing her a speedy recovery.

Naturally, we were hooked.

The "how we do it", works like this:

Jim writes 95% of what you see here (which is why he gets top billing) but Stan fancies himself as the voice of reason, and will occasionally chime in.

For many years, Stan maintained his own "Stan and Jim" Identity, on the boards, but Cruise Critic objected to the interchange-ability of the two names, and it was they who decided upon the Jim and Stan Identity that you see today.

Hope this clears up some of the mystery, I'm off to explore the intricacies of the Beverage Packages---Jim :D

J&S, we're all most fortunate to have you guys. My wife and I are still two months away from our inaugural O cruise but we've learned so much here at CC and particularly from your posts and especially your wonderful pictures.

I believe there really is some truth to the red phone rumors. I think it was confirmed a little while back when FDR posted "...never, ever, doubt Jim & Stan..."

I sincerely hope we sail together some day.

the real mystery to me is who is/are Jim and Stan? Are they two people? If so, how can we know who is writing on which thread? And why does Jim always precede Stan. Is J&S like G&S (Gilbert and Sullivan)? So, who are you?

We ARE two people (almost three, by some counts) who live in Stamford Ct, and (after a long history of cruising elsewhere) "discovered" Oceania in 2005.

005610.jpg Jim left, Stan right

The "why do we do it" goes something like this:

On that very first cruise with Oceania, Barcelona to Istanbul on the old Insignia, Stan's mother had a fairly serious accident on the ship. At that time, nobody at Oceania knew us from Adam, and to make matters worse, I had the sinking feeling that the incident was 70% our fault.

Despite that, the entire staff were exceptionally kind and helpful to her; their above and beyond treatment made Mom feel important, which in turn kept her happy and enthusiastic about our trip despite her injuries. They really saved our cruise.

I won't bother you with all the grim details, but the incident ended with Oceania sending Mom flowers at home, wishing her a speedy recovery.

Naturally, we were hooked.

The "how we do it", works like this:

Jim writes 95% of what you see here (which is why he gets top billing) but Stan fancies himself as the voice of reason, and will occasionally chime in.

For many years, Stan maintained his own "Stan and Jim" Identity, on the boards, but Cruise Critic objected to the interchange-ability of the two names, and it was they who decided upon the Jim and Stan Identity that you see today.

Hope this clears up some of the mystery, I'm off to explore the intricacies of the Beverage Packages---Jim :D

Love the photo, so nice to put faces to your posts which I really enjoy reading. Just need a fan club now...;)

I agree!! You two have answered many questions I have had on thios board. We are embarking on our first Oceania cruise in February. Your pictues and comments have helped significantly!I agree start a Fan Club! :)

Pam

Fantistic. I echo the previous poster's praise and thanks. What a wonderful story as well...... Thanks for the photo. It is nice to put a face to a name(s) in this instance. Mystery solved! And I hope to cruise with you one day. You look like a lot of fun! :D

I agree!! You two have answered many questions I have had on thios board. We are embarking on our first Oceania cruise in February. Your pictues and comments have helped significantly!I agree start a Fan Club! :)

Pam

I'll join the Fan Club! I, too, have learned so much from 'their' posts and Jim has been kind enough to send me some info. directly.

Dolores

RDMOREU

We are fans too! I am astounded by Oceania sending flowers at home to get well soon.

We have learned so much from you, JimandStan... Thank you very much. We are very much looking forward to our first cruise with Oceania.

We also appreciate the picture... it's nice to put a face to the name.

I remember our first cruise on the Regatta in 2007 when I had asked on the boards a question regarding cover ups at the pool. I had never heard of J&S before and Jim responded with numerous pictures of different styles of cover ups. These were nice slim outfits..they did not know how "fluffy" I was. Well..we got to meet them on this trip and we had enjoyable "bar time" with them:D Since then we have still been in touch and we hope to sail again with you guys sometime in the near future. What is up for you next guys?

Deb

Love the photo, so nice to put faces to your posts which I really enjoy reading. Just need a fan club now...;)

Having met and dined with them on the Marina's Innaugural, (Miami to San Fran) I have to say that they are the nicest and most welcoming men I've ever met and a joy to be with. I just love them both!!!

Archived