Main Dining Room

canes20

Can you choose more than one entree and one main course when dining in the MDR? We have only been on Carnival and you can order more than one of each if you want to try more than one dish. Thanks in advance for your help.

Normally, most people do choose,

1 x appertiser.

1 x Salald or Soup

1 x Entree

1 x desert.

But they are very accomodating and if you want to try something extra you can.

So if there is something nice on the meue and you have never tried it before, do ask and they will accomodate you.

Now with DCL in the MDRs its Dinner included, and so you can do what you want, a few take it a little too far and think its all inclusive, and think they can order 3 or 4 entrees say of lobster, its rather embrassing if someone does that.I find the portions are good, and most people are very full with the one of each above, or even drop one.

Everyone eats far more than normal on a cruise, with a fuller, Breakfast lunch than normal and the avaialbility of room service, and the snack places accorss ship.

I recently had a back to back on the Fantasy, for 14 nights and was able to see what people were ordering most nights, bar the ones we were in Palo and Remy, I didnt see anyone in our section order more than one entree, or dessert.

On DCL they will happily serve you more than one of any course. Feel like two appetizers? No problem. Feel like two main courses? No problem. Feel like two deserts? No Problem. You server will be happy to bring them all.

Normally, most people do choose,

1 x appertiser.

1 x Salald or Soup

1 x Entree

1 x desert.

But they are very accomodating and if you want to try something extra you can.

So if there is something nice on the meue and you have never tried it before, do ask and they will accomodate you.

Now with DCL in the MDRs its Dinner included, and so you can do what you want, a few take it a little too far and think its all inclusive, and think they can order 3 or 4 entrees say of lobster, its rather embrassing if someone does that.I find the portions are good, and most people are very full with the one of each above, or even drop one.

Agreed. Often my husband and I will order separate entrees and then each take some of the others if there's something we'd like to try or can't make up our mind between two items. We don't care to waste food, nor do we care to stuff ourselves to the point of discomfort. I seldom order both a salad and an appetizer, instead choose one or the other.

Everyone eats far more than normal on a cruise, with a fuller, Breakfast lunch than normal and the avaialbility of room service, and the snack places accorss ship.

I disagree. On the mass market lines and perhaps to a degree on DCL, yes, but make the jump to the luxury lines and you see a lot less of that. Portions tend to be more in line with European portions than American TGIF swinefest portions, and people seem to stop eating when they are full.

On my most recent B2B I tended to eat a typical (for me) breakfast--a little fruit, a couple of eggs, maybe some breakfast meat or toast. On days that I ate more at breakfast (there were a few because I was hungry, not just because the cheese danish looked delicious) I tended to skip lunch or maybe just had something light--soup or a small Caprese salad. The one thing I ate a few times that I wouldn't normally have was a small scone with afternoon tea--although on the days I had lunch I passed on the scone. We never ordered anything from room service except morning tea, and other than the scones, never had a snack.

I paced myself at dinner--we had several dinners that were five to seven courses, and I seldom ate everything on my plate and even skipped a course or two most nights. I know that most of my fellow cruisers did the same thing. No one ate (or drank) like it was their last meal or like they had to "get their money's worth." (We had unlimited free wine as well as part of the cruise fare, and generally people really moderated their alcohol consumption.)

Agreed. Often my husband and I will order separate entrees and then each take some of the others if there's something we'd like to try or can't make up our mind between two items. We don't care to waste food, nor do we care to stuff ourselves to the point of discomfort. I seldom order both a salad and an appetizer, instead choose one or the other.

I disagree. On the mass market lines and perhaps to a degree on DCL, yes, but make the jump to the luxury lines and you see a lot less of that. Portions tend to be more in line with European portions than American TGIF swinefest portions, and people seem to stop eating when they are full.

On my most recent B2B I tended to eat a typical (for me) breakfast--a little fruit, a couple of eggs, maybe some breakfast meat or toast. On days that I ate more at breakfast (there were a few because I was hungry, not just because the cheese danish looked delicious) I tended to skip lunch or maybe just had something light--soup or a small Caprese salad. The one thing I ate a few times that I wouldn't normally have was a small scone with afternoon tea--although on the days I had lunch I passed on the scone. We never ordered anything from room service except morning tea, and other than the scones, never had a snack.

I paced myself at dinner--we had several dinners that were five to seven courses, and I seldom ate everything on my plate and even skipped a course or two most nights. I know that most of my fellow cruisers did the same thing. No one ate (or drank) like it was their last meal or like they had to "get their money's worth." (We had unlimited free wine as well as part of the cruise fare, and generally people really moderated their alcohol consumption.)

I think we are on the same wavelength and generally agree, I know Cruise directors joke on how much everyone eats on a cruise, how much you put on, most people I find, eat very sensiblly, and do not over do it, ie they do not go out to'' get their moneys worth'', but consider what they like, what they normally eat, and consider their personal health, which we all understand over eating, has considerable effects on.

Now there is a balance, enjoying new foods and new presentation stlyes, against not over doing it, so if there is Wild Boar on the menu and you havent had it before and are unsure if you will like it or not, a sample from your server is fine.

I have read internet posts encourgage people to order four or five lobster tails at dinner, now in nine Disney cruises and near on 100 days cruising, I have yet to see that!!!

Most people are very sensible but enjoy themselves.

We ate at Remy have many courses, and enjoyed it but bar taking the Candys 'to go' we disnt feel full.

You will sometimes find that your server will bring an occasional "extra" to the table. On my cruise on Magic last month, our server brought an extra appetizer at least twice, and once brought an entree (might have been a veal dish). Years ago, for Thanksgiving, my husband couldn't decide what he wanted. Our servers brought him every entree that was on the menu last night. He and our tablemates managed not to leave anything behind. :rolleyes:

I'm another who doesn't go crazy with food on a cruise. I eat a light breakfast, a light lunch, and dinner. Once during that five night cruise I had ice-cream in the late afternoon after an excursion. My roommates each had sandwiches and fruit at that time, and they weren't hungry at dinner, although both of them ate EVERYTHING that they ordered at dinner!

In the two-week period that included that cruise, I lost three pounds. Of course, I walked as often as I could on the ship!

Beth

You will sometimes find that your server will bring an occasional "extra" to the table. On my cruise on Magic last month, our server brought an extra appetizer at least twice, and once brought an entree (might have been a veal dish). Years ago, for Thanksgiving, my husband couldn't decide what he wanted. Our servers brought him every entree that was on the menu last night. He and our tablemates managed not to leave anything behind. :rolleyes:

I'm another who doesn't go crazy with food on a cruise. I eat a light breakfast, a light lunch, and dinner. Once during that five night cruise I had ice-cream in the late afternoon after an excursion. My roommates each had sandwiches and fruit at that time, and they weren't hungry at dinner, although both of them ate EVERYTHING that they ordered at dinner!

In the two-week period that included that cruise, I lost three pounds. Of course, I walked as often as I could on the ship!

Beth

Some good servers will listen to your conversation over the menu. If you say "I can't decide between the shrimp appetizer and the clams. I think that I'll have the clams" They might bring you the shrimp also.

It's all about making the guest happy and if that requires a buck worth of shrimp, so be it.

Some good servers will listen to your conversation over the menu. If you say "I can't decide between the shrimp appetizer and the clams. I think that I'll have the clams" They might bring you the shrimp also.

It's all about making the guest happy and if that requires a buck worth of shrimp, so be it.

Agree

We had a server from India a few years back and he heard me say I like crurries, and one day we had a curry with everythnnig, poppadoms and nan bread etc. Pity we couldnt eat it all, as we had dishes we liked on the normal menu.

I find most people nowadays have a respect for thier bodies and their own health and do not over do it, the odd one who orders 2 of everything, is not the norm.

Just off the Disney-Pixar Cruise on the Wonder.

On Lobster night, two of our tablemates ordered a 2nd lobster. Not a problem.

There are some entrees that are listed on the bottom of the menu that are available each night. If you don't find something on the menu you care for, you can order one of those. You can look at the side items listed on the entrees and ask them to bring those with your "always on the menu" choice.

Sometimes I would see a side item listed on something I wasn't ordering, and I would order that too. The portions are not huge.

I remember on Carnival, the portion sizes seemed smaller than average and lead to many people in our group to order more than one entree. When we tried DCL this year we didn't have that issue. The portions were a good size, 1x each course was more than enough for us.

Can you choose more than one entree and one main course when dining in the MDR? We have only been on Carnival and you can order more than one of each if you want to try more than one dish. Thanks in advance for your help.

The portions are good size on DCL....however sometimes you just can't make up your mind or maybe there is something you've never had and want to try but not sure you will like. ;) My husband and I rarely ordered the same things on our cruise so that we could try each other's. However, sometimes there was another item that we wanted to try so we would order one of that item without the sides for us to try. It worked out well...we had what we knew we would like and got to try different things. You can certainly have as many apps, soup/salads, entrees and desserts as you would like...it's up to you.:)

Archived