May not be able to sail - Question

Hello: I am booked on a 14 day cruise leaving Oct 28th. A week ago Sept 21st, my Dermatologist diagnosed Squamous Cell Skin Cancer on the left cheek of my fact. The earliest appointment I could get with the Plastic Surgeon is this Thursday, Oct 4th. He will schedule a time with the local hospital for out patient surgery and then I will have stitches for 14 days and two weeks follow up with him. So depending when he can schedule the outpatient surgery I am likely going to have to cancel my trip. I do have insurance. But I saw someting on these boards that one can schedule another trip? If I must do this, will that be possible or do I use the cancellation insurance? Thank you.

Hello: I am booked on a 14 day cruise leaving Oct 28th. A week ago Sept 21st, my Dermatologist diagnosed Squamous Cell Skin Cancer on the left cheek of my fact. The earliest appointment I could get with the Plastic Surgeon is this Thursday, Oct 4th. He will schedule a time with the local hospital for out patient surgery and then I will have stitches for 14 days and two weeks follow up with him. So depending when he can schedule the outpatient surgery I am likely going to have to cancel my trip. I do have insurance. But I saw someting on these boards that one can schedule another trip? If I must do this, will that be possible or do I use the cancellation insurance? Thank you.

No one here can give you as definitive an answer as your TA or the cruise line. I recommend that you contact one or the other as soon as possible to determine your best options. Good luck with your surgery. Have been there and done that with good results.

Isn't yours a relocation cruise? If so, it is a special itinerary, not a cookie cutter one that can be done any old week. If I liked the itinerary, I would try very hard to go on that cruise. Talk to the surgeon...maybe he will think it is safe for you to wait a few weeks for the surgery. Or you might be able to squeeze it in before the cruise. Stitches in the face for 14 days? That seems rather long for the face...my mom just had a skin cancer off her face and the stitches were out at seven days. If the surgeon recommends a shorter time for the stitches, it will be easier for you to be ready for the cruise.

If you do feel you cannot go on the original cruise, you will likely have to use your insurance to cancel the original cruise; you can use that money to pick another trip.

Yes, call, explain your situation, and ask if you can re-schedule. Sometimes people have been allowed to do so. If you are told "no", ask to speak with the resolutions dept. Even if you have to cancel and rebook, your insurance should take care of it.

I believe it will depend on how extensive the surgery is. I have had that surgery removing a spot about the size of a quarter and was not impacted other than the bandage on my forehead. I believe the Medical Staff on board the ship can evaluate and remove the sutures when appropriate. I believe your Surgeon is the best one to advise you and if he/she tell you no to go, get it in writing and notify RCCL in writing immediately. Some insurance requires cancellation within 2 days of learning you need to cancel. Good luck. My results were good and yours will probably be good also.

Isn't yours a relocation cruise? If so, it is a special itinerary, not a cookie cutter one that can be done any old week. If I liked the itinerary, I would try very hard to go on that cruise. Talk to the surgeon...maybe he will think it is safe for you to wait a few weeks for the surgery. Or you might be able to squeeze it in before the cruise. Stitches in the face for 14 days? That seems rather long for the face...my mom just had a skin cancer off her face and the stitches were out at seven days. If the surgeon recommends a shorter time for the stitches, it will be easier for you to be ready for the cruise.

If you do feel you cannot go on the original cruise, you will likely have to use your insurance to cancel the original cruise; you can use that money to pick another trip.

I think that saying not to do the surgery and go on the cruise is irresponsible, obviously you never had that diagnosis of cancer, don't wait just do the surgery there will be plenty of other cruises, nothing is more important then your health, as a cancer patient I just wanted THAT cancer cut out.

I think that saying not to do the surgery and go on the cruise is irresponsible, obviously you never had that diagnosis of cancer, don't wait just do the surgery there will be plenty of other cruises, nothing is more important then your health, as a cancer patient I just wanted THAT cancer cut out.

Irresponsible? No, I was not being irresponsible...Please read take a deep, deep breathe and my post again slowly. I did not say to postone the surgery. Rather I suggested the OP talk to her surgeon...the surgeon may feel the surgery can wait..or he may not...it depends on the details of the situation. do not prejudge what the options may be...the Op did not provide enough info to do so. Also remember hers is a squamous cell of the skin. fortunately, those usually do very well; given your emotional reaction, yours was perhaps a more life threatening form of cancer. I wish you the best.

Saw Dr today and he said although urgent this is not critical and it would take 3-4 weeks for a surgery date at the hospital. So I can go on the cruise and will be very careful with the sun (as I always am) I return on a Sunday and have day surgery at the hospital on the Wednesday after that. So thanks for all your encouragement.

I am glad to hear you are going to be able to go on your cruise. I have had squamous cell carcinoma growths removed and it was not a big deal. Quickly heals. It is apparently not an invasive cancer so removal is not as urgent as would be with melanoma.

There is a lot of info at the American Cancer Society's website that will put you at ease.

But stay out of the direct sun!

Saw Dr today and he said although urgent this is not critical and it would take 3-4 weeks for a surgery date at the hospital. So I can go on the cruise and will be very careful with the sun (as I always am) I return on a Sunday and have day surgery at the hospital on the Wednesday after that. So thanks for all your encouragement.

I'm glad it will all work out. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Archived