crew wages?

vols159

Does anyone know how much the crew makes on average

Wait staff?

Room Stewart?

Cruise staff?

I'm just going to answer the best I know and not read the flaming posts :D

I'm trying not to get sucked into an argument....

I read this book, published in 2010, called The Truth About Cruise Ships - A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life.

This is said in the book. (he worked for Carnival) Hope I'm allowed to post this :rolleyes: but credit is given to the author anyway

Cruise lines paid their waiters $ 0.15 an hour. That’s not a typo and I’ll say it again. Cruise lines paid their waiters 15 cents an hour. About 95% of a waiter’s total income was from tips. Although with tips a good waiter could make over $ 4,000 a month, the cruise line only paid about $ 50 a month to that waiter who worked eleven hours a day, seven days a week. To get away with this, cruise lines registered their ships in countries like Liberia or Panama so they wouldn’t have to pay federal taxes or deal with the labor restrictions they would face if they registered their ships in the United States.

Herring, Jay (2012-01-10). The Truth About Cruise Ships - A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life (pp. 50-51). SaltLog Press. Kindle Edition.

I'm just going to answer the best I know and not read the flaming posts :D

I'm trying not to get sucked into an argument....

I read this book, published in 2010, called The Truth About Cruise Ships - A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life.

This is said in the book. (he worked for Carnival) Hope I'm allowed to post this :rolleyes: but credit is given to the author anyway

Cruise lines paid their waiters $ 0.15 an hour. That’s not a typo and I’ll say it again. Cruise lines paid their waiters 15 cents an hour. About 95% of a waiter’s total income was from tips. Although with tips a good waiter could make over $ 4,000 a month, the cruise line only paid about $ 50 a month to that waiter who worked eleven hours a day, seven days a week. To get away with this, cruise lines registered their ships in countries like Liberia or Panama so they wouldn’t have to pay federal taxes or deal with the labor restrictions they would face if they registered their ships in the United States.

Herring, Jay (2012-01-10). The Truth About Cruise Ships - A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life (pp. 50-51). SaltLog Press. Kindle Edition.

How can they register their ships in the U.S.? They aren't built in the U.S. so not allowed to be registered here.

No shipyards in the U.S. that build cruise ships.

Well they could get a politician to pass a special law to circumvent the current law.

Bill

I work hard at a job I love. I work really hard, actually. I risk injury, and debilitating diseases. At my job I've gotten hit, spit on, bitten, scratched, kicked, had bloody scabs thrown at me, peed on, pooped on, thrown up on, and gotten more verbal abuse than the average waiter or room steward (gotta love psychs and demented patients) so I dare say that I do work hard. I routinely lift and move people with my partner that weigh ~350. We get a lift assist for anything over that. last week we moved someone who was 600lbs. Do 10 minutes of Good effective CPR and tell me thats not hard. Just as hard as they do. My pay is less. I am not going to throw a pity party for them. They work hard. But they get compensated well and free room and board. Good for them for making life better for themselves and families at home.

Your post was out of line.

My post was not even alittle out of line

We all pick what we do as a living ,im sorry you dont get paid what you should,or think you should be paid.But you get no pity party either

Great post. I think some people on here equate the crew of a cruise ship with a brain surgeon. The way people go on and on about how hard they work for no money. . . . Most of us out here have hard jobs, work hard, make little/decent money etc.

In the end, these jobs are not the most difficult to do by a long shot. Most do not need advanced education, I mean we are talking about cleaning, cooking, vacuuming and serving food. Long hours,yes--hard work,yes--more important than what anyone else does or better-NO.

I work on average 12-14 hour days-I work on insurance claims. I work hard. I get no tips, nor will I ever, no matter how good I do my job. Nor will most of us. Doesnt matter if our employers pay us little or great. But, I love my job and the benefits I get . So, I will continue-just as most people do.

We have been offered tips(can't accept them), sometimes patients or families will gift little trinkets. They really make my week :)

I've got the best job in the world. Wouldn't trade it to be a cabin steward or waitress.

I think it would be insulting if people pitied them because they come from a poor country and have a job.

I really do appreciate what they do. It made my cruise really awesome. The towel animals were a highlight. I'm glad they get paid well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My post was not even alittle out of line

We all pick what we do as a living ,im sorry you dont get paid what you should,or think you should be paid.But you get no pity party either

I wasn't looking for a pity party. I was saying that I don't understand the pity party for crew, and that I wouldn't want their job.

Your post was a personal attack and it was out of line.

Great post. I think some people on here equate the crew of a cruise ship with a brain surgeon. The way people go on and on about how hard they work for no money. . . . Most of us out here have hard jobs, work hard, make little/decent money etc.

In the end, these jobs are not the most difficult to do by a long shot. Most do not need advanced education, I mean we are talking about cleaning, cooking, vacuuming and serving food. Long hours,yes--hard work,yes--more important than what anyone else does or better-NO.

I work on average 12-14 hour days-I work on insurance claims. I work hard. I get no tips, nor will I ever, no matter how good I do my job. Nor will most of us. Doesnt matter if our employers pay us little or great. But, I love my job and the benefits I get . So, I will continue-just as most people do.

12-14 hours a day working ,you work hard and long hours but get a pay check .You get no tips because your salary and again we all pick what we do for a living

I work hard at a job I love. I work really hard, actually. I risk injury, and debilitating diseases. At my job I've gotten hit, spit on, bitten, scratched, kicked, had bloody scabs thrown at me, peed on, pooped on, thrown up on, and gotten more verbal abuse than the average waiter or room steward (gotta love psychs and demented patients) so I dare say that I do work hard. I routinely lift and move people with my partner that weigh ~350. We get a lift assist for anything over that. last week we moved someone who was 600lbs. Do 10 minutes of Good effective CPR and tell me thats not hard. Just as hard as they do. My pay is less. I am not going to throw a pity party for them. They work hard. But they get compensated well and free room and board. Good for them for making life better for themselves and families at home.

Your post was out of line.

It was totally out of line, argumentative and rude, Tricia, I agree. Good for you for standing up for yourself. Your first cruise alone seems to have been very good for you. I'm proud of you!! Silver

Our business because we are constantly TOLD what to tip because they live on tips. I want to know if that is really true or a scam for higher tips.

On our last cruise, cabin boy broke down in tears the last night with a big sob story about sister in terrible accident and he was not allowed to take time off to console his "poor" mother or he would be fired. BUT he could console her with some cash. Coincidence that he expected tips that evening? I think not.

Did anyone else see how innapropriate the stewards behavior was in this instance. I hope he was reported.

Yes I am sympathetic about the circumstance back home but that was the risk they know they take when they sign up. I work in the good old USA and it isn't my customers concern or problem what I am dealing with on a personal level. They still deserve the service they paid for. Asking for additional pay because of fate or preying on ones compassion is absolutely innapropriate!

As far as my wages and how hard I work, I would venture to guess I work as many hours per week if not more than some on the ship. I get paid a salary so I am not compensated for additional hours nor do I recieve tips. I do have a great bonus potential though for putting in the time to making the business more successful. It's what I signed up for and I accepted the terms of employment so I am not complaining.

I wasn't looking for a pity party. I was saying that I don't understand the pity party for crew, and that I wouldn't want their job.

Your post was a personal attack and it was out of line.

I have been here a long time and dont personally attack anyone

We can all have opinions

It was totally out of line, argumentative and rude, Tricia, I agree. Good for you for standing up for yourself. Your first cruise alone seems to have been very good for you. I'm proud of you!! Silver

D'aaaaaw. Shucks :) thanks!

there is no harm in asking. Almost all the cruise ships pay a salary plus a draw against tips. The amounts vary by seniority, ship, where it sails from etc. there is actually a Union(company union) that covers all this.

If the tips are removed or not paid in the employee(stewards and waiters) have a mark against them for what ever the reason. Continued removals and not paying in from cash are held against the employees in the form of non renewal or even mid contract firings.. I have been told that some employees even put in other cash they received to make up the minimum so that won't be asked why their assigned passenger didn't tip.

On many cruise lines the eastern European staff have mostly left because of the weakness of the dollar and the fact that employment has improved in their own countries. This has become particularly problematic for the senior officers who mostly come from Europe or Scandinavia as they are paid in US dollars and the dollar has declined(although it is up this year). So for the waiters and stewards you get a lot more of third world countries(including the Philippines and other places where the standard of living is much lower).

In my view they work hard for every penny and for the service I get the 11-13 per day per person is well worth it...IMO

How much do you make? Why is it any of our business?

That was a valid question. Thanks for being rude and starting the attacks on this thread...

I've been reading through the boards for about a month and I've learned a lot. The #1 thing I've learned is to avoid cruise critic members on my cruise.

That was a valid question. Thanks for being rude and starting the attacks on this thread...

I've been reading through the boards for about a month and I've learned a lot. The #1 thing I've learned is to avoid cruise critic members on my cruise.

Not all members are buttheads. Sorry you were attacked on this thread. Don't let it scare you off of CC.

Not all members are buttheads. Sorry you were attacked on this thread. Don't let it scare you off of CC.

Thanks! I wasn't attacked. I feel bad for the OP, and I don't understand why some people have to be so rude on here.

It is good to know how much they make. I will definitely tip extra.

Here in the UK tonight there will be a documentary on TV, an undercover investigation into crew conditions and salaries http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-111/episode-4

I am sure there may be some posts from the UK tomorrow after this airs. Not sure if you can watch it over the internet there in the US.

How can they register their ships in the U.S.? They aren't built in the U.S. so not allowed to be registered here.

No shipyards in the U.S. that build cruise ships.

Well they could get a politician to pass a special law to circumvent the current law.

Bill

Ncl has one ship registered in the USA only cruise ship that is

I'm pretty sure the crew does not have luxurious accomodations aboard the ship. Many of the stewards and waitstaff accept these working conditions because it is a little better than anything available back home. Many do indeed support other family members back home and they need steady, reliable earnings to maintain at least a minimal standard of living.

Their accomodations were better than what we had in the Navy, the only personal space that I had was my bunk and locker. And I shared quarters with 20 to 75 other men (depending on which ship I was on).

I read it on the internet. I cannot verify it. I must admit that I have zero knowledge of what a room Stewart earns. (never met anyone named Stewart on a ship)

I also cannot be concerned with how much they make. I do my share and they seem happy.

That is my view, also.

LOL so true. The board monitors used to be much better at stopping the crap that does on here.

And as I understand it the good Senator from Hawaii had to pull a lot of strings in order to make it happen.

not really. The cruise line that went bankrupt wound up owing a couple of hundred million dollars on a government guaranteed loan on the hulls that were being built. It was the Federal maritime Commission that proposed that NCL take over the hulls. In fact NCL wanted to complete them in the US but no US shipyard were bid they were too busy with government contracts for the Navy. It wasn't a difficult lift at all.

Their accomodations were better than what we had in the Navy, the only personal space that I had was my bunk and locker. And I shared quarters with 20 to 75 other men (depending on which ship I was on).

Here is the living qtrs on the navy Destroyer I was on. My bunk is in the very back top next to ladder. My locker was next to the bunk and the bunk itself lifted up for more storage, why there called "coffin Racks". This pic was taken in 1989. the Destroyer was built in 1960s.

20845_1525020852432_1441963870_31378166_3731126_nnavy.jpg

Here is a pic of my ship in question, taken in Spain in 1989 while I was ashore.NavyDeploymentdays017.jpg

I do not care what any of the crew makes. I figure we all have choices in how we choose to earn a living. I hope they make enough to be financially stable, as they sure deserve that.

Exactly.

I don't go on any vacation and wonder what anyone makes, from the person at the airline counter, to the stewardess, the captain, the bus driver, the luggage handlers, reception, the purser, the steward, waiters, captain or cruise director.

I suppose that would change if I were interested in one of those careers. And certain inquire how much higher education was involved as an investment.

An interesting note: I haven't seen anyone offer their salary here.

Archived