Imagination September 24-28, 2012

happylady

Imagination September 24-28, 2012

This was our fourth cruise and the second on a fantasy class ship. On Carnival, our favorite layout is the Spirit. Our favorite decor is on the Imagination.

We've all read long detailed reviews and I didn't want to repeat telling about the food, rooms, shows, etc. I just want to review a few things that I've never seen in previous reviews and a couple of things that I forgot.

Transportation to the Port of Miami:

Since we live only 1 1/2 hours north of the Port of Miami, we decided to travel down the morning of the cruise. DH hates, hates, HATES, to drive in Miami and refused to drive. I just started driving short distances after a bad head-on car accident last March and didn't want to tackle that far or busy of a trip. So our next thought was a limo service, but we didn't want to spend $220-$250 round trip. We decided to take the Tri-rail. Tri-rail is a commuter train that runs from just north of West Palm Beach to Miami through the three counties of Palm Beach, Broward and Dade (thus the name Tri-rail). The ride was much better than we expected but very typical of mass transit. The cost per person was $8.90. For $6.90 we took Tri-rail south to the tri-rail transfer station in Miami. We then switched to the Metrorail for $2.00 and exited at the Government Center. From the Government Center we took a taxi to port for $10.50. The worse part was not finding a taxi at the Government Center, but after a call to Yellow Cab, 15 minutes later we were picked up and on our way to the port. All stations are well light and have roaming security. We felt comfortable and safe the whole ride. Since Metrorail runs to the Miami Airport, this is also a great option for those arriving by plane. On both systems, an area is set aside for baggage on each train car. We'll take the Tri-rail again if leaving from either Port Everglades or Port of Miami.

Embarkation:

We arrived to port around 12:30pm. Our first stop was a 5-10 minute line for the review of our passports and boarding documents. We were marked with a green pen, showing that we were using passports rather than birth certificates. We then took the escalator to the second floor and were instructed to enter the "green" line which was much shorter than the other line. (This is when I asked a Carnival rep what the difference was between the two lines and was told about the "green" pen marks for passports). The second stop was a short 5 minute line until we were called to the counter and given our sail and sign cards. Our third stop was our welcome aboard photo (again a very short line). The last stop was to take a picture and have it linked to our sail & sign card. This was one of the fastest and easiest transition from curbside to being on board the ship. Usually we arrive to port by 11:00am, but this convinced us that a little later might be better.

Cozumel:

We were limited since I'm still having trouble walking and standing for a long periods of time. We decided to tour the Kaokao Chocolate Factory because they have chairs to sit if needed. We arrived a few minutes late to port and knew we couldn't get to the factory by 1:00pm for the tour. We decided to go anyways and if the tour had already started, we'd just buy some chocolate and leave. Out of the 10 reservations for the 1:00pm tour, we were the first and only ones that showed up. The owners are very passionate about the art of chocolate making. Even though we were the only customers, we were given the complete tour. We were given samples to taste and at the end were able to purchased some to take home with us. For $10 per person, we had a great time. Later we saw their brand of chocolate at Los Cinco Soles for double the cost.

A couple things that I forgot from other reviews:

No icebox/refrig in our ocean view room.

No blow dryer in the bathroom.

If you buy the endless bubbles card before leaving port, you will pay sales tax.

I think I left about $4 in my players bank.

In the end, we had a nice time and hope to be on another cruise soon. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try to answer. I also have the Fun Times if anyone would like a copy.

Thanks for the review...

We live in North Broward, never thought about Tri-Rail.

So how was the food and service?

Did you do ATD or traditional.

How was the crowd, DW is afraid this will be a rowdy cruise, although, we never had that problem on other CCL cruises.

We leave on the 15th.

Thanks for the review...

We live in North Broward, never thought about Tri-Rail.

So how was the food and service?

Did you do ATD or traditional.

How was the crowd, DW is afraid this will be a rowdy cruise, although, we never had that problem on other CCL cruises.

We leave on the 15th.

Tri-Rail was our last option, but it worked well. The ticket machines we're a bit confusing at both our Tri-Rail station and at the transfer station, but there was always someone nearby to help. Not sure why I thought there would be a bunch of taxi's outside the government center in Miami. Once we were outside, I called Yellow Cab and they said someone was near by so it would only be 5 minutes. We waited, but no one showed up. I called a second time and they said the driver couldn't find us. They said he would circle and be right there. A minute later another yellow cab pulled up and we thought it was the guy looking for us. Once we we a block or two away, the original driver was calling my cell looking for me. :o Just so happened that this second taxi was driving by and saw us...we never thought to confirm. When I said something to the second driver, he sort of just smiled. :rolleyes:

Tri-Rail will be cheaper from Broward County as they use a zone system. Both systems have nice websites that are very informative and apps for your phone. We were surprised that Tri-Rail only runs every hour after the morning rush hour, but timing was in our favor and we only had to wait both ways about 20 minutes. Metrorail runs every 6-7 minutes. Just be sure to board Metrorail "green" train on your return trip. The "orange" train goes to the airport.

We elected to have ATD. The first night we choose to join a larger table. Well.....sort of back fired because they sat us with a family of 4 that only spoke Spanish and 2 ladies that only spoke French. We all tried to communicate, but all only knew a few words in the others languages. The other three nights we asked to be seated at tables for 2. You are very close to the table next to you and we ended up in conversation with our neighbors every night. It seemed like they tried to seat all of the nearby 2's around the same time and tried to keep us on the same pace. I'm sure the poor asst waiter that runs to the kitchen and back with our food appreciated this....less trips.

We thought the food was okay. Not great, but okay. I liked parts of each meal, but noticed the change in quality. Small things like hardly any cheese in the French Onion Soup.

We usually ate between 7:00-8:00pm. and never had to wait for a table. We did notice that on three out of the four nights, there were long line waiting as we exited the dining room.

Our ship was full, but we never noticed unbearable crowds. The heaviest crowds were by the photo gallery....people would just stop in the walk way to talk to each other....seriously! just step to the side so those behind you can pass. My DH and I just kept saying "We're on vacation, we're on vacation, we're on vacation....no need to rush to get anywhere." We did run into a few people that may have had drank more than they should have, but there was never a problem....except the lady that started playing one of the trivia games, then ran down to the Art Gallery, then came back and wanted the questions repeated so she could play. After every answer was given, she would yell, "that's what I was going to say". By the end, we all started saying, "that's what I was going to say." :p

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks for the review and I love the Imagination! Everytime I read a review it makes me want to book again.

We had a good time, but wish we had booked as early saver rather than past guest. The price actually went down $200 after final payment....would have been a nice OBC.

Thanks Kathi!!

I think I'll bite the bullet and just drive down, maybe take A1A to de-stress on the way down.

That would have been my first choice, but DH refused. I never use to mind driving, but after the accident not so much. He really doesn't mind driving, but has this thing about Miami (not sure why...he's only driven in Dade County to the airport once in the last 30 years). We've driven all over the Eastern US and nothing bothers him...but Miami! :rolleyes:

Hope you have a great time on the cruise. If you happen to see a beverage server named Maria from Mexico tell her hi from the people that were playing cribbage the first night of her training. She was very, very nice and we wish her luck with the new job with Carnival.

Thanks Kathi!!

I think I'll bite the bullet and just drive down, maybe take A1A to de-stress on the way down.

Thanks for the review. We sail on the Imagination next April.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I knowticed that Mike is driving to the port and was wondering where you can park and how much it cost. There's lots of information on hotels etc. for people flying into Miami but not a lot of info on driving to the port. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks for the review. We sail on the Imagination next April.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I knowticed that Mike is driving to the port and was wondering where you can park and how much it cost. There's lots of information on hotels etc. for people flying into Miami but not a lot of info on driving to the port. Any information would be appreciated.

I'm going to park at the port, it is expensive @ 20.00 per day.

The reason for this is that, at least at Port Everglades, we parked in an off site lot that seemed like a good deal at first with valet parking, but when re returned it was pick up your own car, and we were crammed in like sardines.

I have a new car since then and want to at least be in a "traditional" lot.

There are a few off sites spots that are very inexpensive. Just google "Port of Miami parking"

We leave on Monday for the same cruise. Was there an "elegant" nite and which night was it?

Thanks

Elegant Night was on Tuesday. We saw many people dressed up in cocktail type dresses and suits. Probably since it was a short cruise, we didn't see any long dresses or tuxs. I wore pants and a nice top and my DH wore a golf shirt and dockers.

A note on the attire in the dining room. This was a very laid back cruise for us. I'm sure I'll get flamed by some, but we decided to dress as we wanted according to the guidelines posted in the FunTimes.

Monday, Wednesday & Thursday:

DINING ROOM DRESS CODE

Today's dining dress code is Cruise Casual attire.

Please Note: Gym or basketball shorts, flip-flops, bathing suite attire, cut-off jeans and men's sleeveless shirts are not allowed in the dining rooms.

Tuesday:

DINING ROOM DRESS CODE

Breakfast & lunch dress code is Cruise Casual attire.

Tonight's dining dress code is Cruise Elegant attire.

Please Note: Gym or basketball shorts, flip-flops, bathing suite attire, cut-off jeans, men's sleeveless shirts and baseball hats are not allowed in the dining rooms.

On Monday, Wednesday & Thursday nights, my DH wore a golf shirt and jean shorts (not cut-off's) and I wore a nice top and jean capris. He wore tennis shoes and I wore a flat ballet type shoes. I did notice a lot of people wearing flip-flops. We didn't feel out of place as many were dress similarly.

In your Ocean View room was there a safe?

Thanks in advance - Barry

Yes, it's in the closet next to the vanity. There were instructions to use two swipe cards to open the safe. I never noticed this on my two other Carnival cruises. Both DH and I repeatedly followed the directions but couldn't get it to work.....so we just used one card to lock and open the safe.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try to answer. I also have the Fun Times if anyone would like a copy.

Hey Kathi, I would love copies of the Fun Times, thanks so much!! :D Good to hear you had such a great time!! I'm sailing on Imagination with my boyfriend (it'll be his 1st cruise) in Dec. 2013 and would love to give him an idea of what to expect!! Also, do you have any pics of the ship? The last time I sailed on her was my 1st cruise in 2003 so I'd love to see all the Evolutions of Fun changes and upgrades!! We're doing a B2B (3 day then the 4 day) so I'm super excited!!!! :D :D

My email is assumptionchic@gmail.com

Thanks again!!!! :D

Hey Kathi, I would love copies of the Fun Times, thanks so much!! :D Good to hear you had such a great time!! I'm sailing on Imagination with my boyfriend (it'll be his 1st cruise) in Dec. 2013 and would love to give him an idea of what to expect!! Also, do you have any pics of the ship? The last time I sailed on her was my 1st cruise in 2003 so I'd love to see all the Evolutions of Fun changes and upgrades!! We're doing a B2B (3 day then the 4 day) so I'm super excited!!!! :D :D

My email is assumptionchic@gmail.com

Thanks again!!!! :D

I just sent them to your email. I didn't take many pictures around the ship....just a few here and there. I thought the colors where much more muted than those on the Sensation in 2006. After three days of walking around and seeing naked busts of women, my DH finally commented that he thought it was funny that the gold paint was rubbed off of two certain body parts on the statues within reach. :eek::rolleyes:

Have a great time and I hope your BF enjoys his 1st cruise.

No flaming, always dress as you wish, it is your vacation, just no wife beaters!

We will be totally out of place, but I AM wearing my Tux and DW is wearing a gown.

We love playing James Bond and Mrs. MollyPenny ;)

You'll have a great time!

Archived