portable locks for balcony doors?

mandakate42

Hey all, I just upgraded to a balcony last week thinking that it would be great for us when my then 23mth old will be taking naps. Then my mother had to go and freak me out about my daughter getting out on the balc by herself.... anyone know of any travel door locks that work for this situation?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as now I'm only imagining the worse case scenarios in my head!! Thanks!

Your 2 year old will NOT be able to open the door alone...they are heavy and they have locks that are hard to open! No worries. The room is so small, that you'll never be more than 2 steps away from anyone else in the cabin.

And, you'll most likely be ON the balcony when she's napping...you'll want the door cracked so you can hear her.

You are worrying over NOTHING. So far, NO child has ever, ever fallen off a ship. Ever.

Sometimes, mother doesn't know best!

ITA with cbatsea, my 7 yo has a hard time opening the balcony door, and my very determined 4 yo can't do it either :). Just keep the door locked when you're not out there and everything will be fine. We usually sit out on the balcony when the boys are sleeping, which eliminates the worries.

I know how you feel, I was petrified the first time we cruised, which was with a balcony. We were extra careful on the balcony, initiated rules such as no toys on the balcony (DS2 has been known to climb over railings to get toys...), and no kids on the balcony unless accompanied by an adult. They still follow the rules now, which makes me feel better :rolleyes:

Enjoy your trip!

We were on the Fascination last week and I had a hard time opening our balcony door - the lock was a real pain plus the door was heavy. There was no way my DD could open it (she's almost 3), though she tried, LOL!

I'm glad to see this post, this is why we have yet to be on a balcony I'm afraid DS will try and escape if he wakes up in the night while DH and I are asleep. Our little guy is very mischeivious. We have those door knob locks at home that encase the door knobs and he figured them out within a month and just takes them completely off! We still use them in hopes we would hear him monkeying with them and that it'd wake us up.

Hey all, I just upgraded to a balcony last week thinking that it would be great for us when my then 23mth old will be taking naps. Then my mother had to go and freak me out about my daughter getting out on the balc by herself.... anyone know of any travel door locks that work for this situation?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as now I'm only imagining the worse case scenarios in my head!! Thanks!

I agree with the other posts. Sometimes I cant even open the balcony doors because they are very heavy.

Many ships have a high (top of the door) extra lock just for peace of mind with kids; I don't know about your ship though.

The chance of a 23 month-old being able to unlock and open the balcony door is practically zero. And, you will be either in the room or on the balcony anyway.

• 1 month later...

we have always had a balcony room with our young kids, and never had any issues- we cruise NCL and they have locks for the balcony door up high.

BUT I do worry about the kids opening the room to the hall, and having it shut (AND LOCK) behind them (especially worrysome in the middle of the night, thinking they are going into the bathroom). We always bring one those small, cheap, door alarms and put it on the door to the hall at night- works via magnet and if the magnet is separated (door opens) a loud noise occurs. Makes me feel better.

Archived