Comfortable walking shoes

We will be sailing the Greek Isles from Venice in May 2013. I'm thinking of wearing some light weight sundresses for touring but am confused of what shoes to wear. Obviously a tennis shoe or walking shoe is best, but doesn't look as good with a sundress. Any suggestions for a sandal that is comfortable for walking, preferrabley with a softer sole. :)

Brands to look for are Clark, Tevas, Keens, Ecco, Merrell. Others will chime in with what works for them.

Walk on a variety of surfaces at home. What feels good on the flat vinyl or carpeted surfaces in the store might not feel good when walking on ruins or cobblestones. I find Aerosoles comfortable for walking around town but not on anything bumpy.

By now, everyone will know that I will recommend some Jambu shoes ;)

See if you can find some Water Diva sandals or the Coconut sandals. The WDs can be use on land or sea and have some cute colors. The Coconut look like nice slingback shoes. They both have the same flexible and comfy sole on them. I use a pair of Coconuts for my work shoes, 8 hours/day/5 days/week. I still have my 2 pair of the previous incarnation of the Water Diva - they are 3 years old. I used pair one right out of the box for a 3 week trip through Europe, with lots of walking involved with them.

I think I'm going to spring for another pair of Water Divas - the lavender strap or lemon strap...

I'm another one that wouldn't recommend slip-ons, especially if you're walking around cobblestoned streets, etc. Too easy to twist an ankle when your shoe slips off.

A special warning about the last shoes in the links above -- I tried them on, even brought them home. But they are REALLY loose, at least on my feet. I had a hard time keeping them on even when just walking around the house, so I took them back.

Whatever shoes you choose, wear them a lot before going on your trip. Make sure you can walk for miles or stand for hours in them. You don't want to ruin your trip due to blisters or sore feet due to uncomfortable shoes.

The shoes I wore on my Med cruise were Riekers, I still wear them 4 years later to work (instead of sneakers), or just to kick around town. Mine are like these, only all brown:

http://www.travelsmith.com/rieker-celia-95-slingbacks/women/footwear/shop-by-brand/rieker/22739?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=8

I find that comfortable walking type sandals are somewhat ugly.:D

It is sometimes hard to get pretty and comfortable.

I wear Born and have about 6 pairs, and most of them are slip on but I have never slipped out of them. They have a built in cushioning in the sole, rubber soles and are just so comfortable even the thong type. As an aside they also do boots and shoes if anyone is looking for something comfortable this winter.

These are just a random selection.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/born-albright-sandal/3229192?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Fanta&resultback=4006

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/born-natania-sandal/3327643?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Fuchsia+Linen&resultback=5528

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/born-gemma-floral-flat/3338887?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=3405

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/born-martine-sandal/3296934?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=6369 These are a bit "uglier"

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/born-jerrica-flat/3387919?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=4496

Now let me say, if I was going to say the ruins or traipsing around a lot I would wear hiking boots or at least sneakers to give that ankle support, so it would have to be shorts really against a sundress. I love fashion/stye but sometime circumstances dictate practicality:o

Everyone is so helpful. Thank you for sharing all of your "shoe" experiences. All of the slip-ons are very pretty, but I don't think I could wear those for extensive walking. I am planning on a mix of shorts & capris, as well as sundresses, so I wanted a versatile shoe. This is my first time abroad, so I'm going to have to learn more about "light packing". I do really like those New Balance mary janes. I'm a loyal New Balance customer. I may HAVE to have those ;)

Everyone is so helpful. Thank you for sharing all of your "shoe" experiences. All of the slip-ons are very pretty, but I don't think I could wear those for extensive walking. I am planning on a mix of shorts & capris, as well as sundresses, so I wanted a versatile shoe. This is my first time abroad, so I'm going to have to learn more about "light packing". I do really like those New Balance mary janes. I'm a loyal New Balance customer. I may HAVE to have those ;)

I think you are right with the versatility approach as it will cut down on the packing a lot. I lived in Greece/Cyprus for a coupe of years and it was an experience and I am sure you will have a lovely time there.

Just as an FYI, order a half size larger than you do for regular shoes. I normally wear a 7.5, I bought these in an 8 and the length is perfect.

I've decided to order these. I'm going to give them a test run for comfort. I think they are a good mix of cute & comfort, from the reviews anyway :rolleyes: I was happy with the price too!

http://www.altrec.com/keen/womens-paradise-sandal

I love these and now have them on my wish list on Amazon. I'd go with something like these for your cruise. You'll be waking on all kinds of uneven surfaces so toe protection is pretty important. Imagine stubbing your poor unprotected toes, then trying to put them in your formal night pumps, or worse, having them stick out of your dressy sandals! :D:eek:

These would be really cute with sundresses.

My friend has this Gemma flat and they are really cute with sundresses of all lengths. She says they are her most comfortable shoes.

I cannot walk very far in anything other than running shoes, so when I tour I plan my wardrobe around the shoes and wear yoga pants or shorts.:) I wear comfort flats or slides in the evenings when I know we aren't walking as much.

My friend has this Gemma flat and they are really cute with sundresses of all lengths. She says they are her most comfortable shoes.

I cannot walk very far in anything other than running shoes, so when I tour I plan my wardrobe around the shoes and wear yoga pants or shorts.:) I wear comfort flats or slides in the evenings when I know we aren't walking as much.

Have you tried real walking sandals, like Keens? I have a pair of Sarasota and a red pair of Naples. Both can be seen on Amazon. No, they are not particularly cute but oh are they comfortable and supportive! I figure nothing is all that cute in size 10 anyway! I actually did the On Deck for the Cure 5K walk on HAL wearing the Sarasotas and my feet and my back felt great. Btw, I have really bad feet - 6 surgeries on the left foot alone.

The shoes I suggested are all ones I either have or very similar, and I've never walked out of them. Now, I've not been on European cobblestones in them, but I have other rough surfaces, and I've never walked out of them. I go to a couple of events a year that are out in fields and walking on loose gravel and have worn them just fine. For fun, one year I took a pedometer just to see how much walking I did. I was guessing 8-10 miles per day but I was wrong. I walked 12-16 miles per day. My feet never hurt, but sometimes my legs did (nothing that a jetted bath wouldn't solve). I am more of a sandal person because they aren't as hot.

I took a pair of Ahnu sandals to Hawaii and Barcelona last summer and loved them! They are about as supportive as sandals can be, very comfortable, and cute too. This is the style I bought, but not the color. Mine are a surprisingly neutral green.

http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/ahnu-nicasio-black/18911

I also have a pair of Keens that are very comfortable.

I've decided to order these. I'm going to give them a test run for comfort. I think they are a good mix of cute & comfort, from the reviews anyway :rolleyes: I was happy with the price too!

http://www.altrec.com/keen/womens-paradise-sandal

I ordered these after I saw your post and just got them today. They are sooooo comfortable, right out of the box. I got my exact size and they are perfect, with plenty of toe room. Love them and can't wait to wear them on my cruise (yes, I'll wear them before that). I got them in chocolate chip. I would never hestiate to buy Keens, they are very comfortable, last a long time, and fit me well. This is my fourth pair.

I ordered these after I saw your post and just got them today. They are sooooo comfortable, right out of the box. I got my exact size and they are perfect, with plenty of toe room. Love them and can't wait to wear them on my cruise (yes, I'll wear them before that). I got them in chocolate chip. I would never hestiate to buy Keens, they are very comfortable, last a long time, and fit me well. This is my fourth pair.

I received mine also. I wore them all afternoon when they were delivered. Some slight rubbing, but I have plenty of time to break them in. I am very happy with this purchase.

Thanks again everyone for your advice & opinions. :D

Archived