Experience with Aft Facing Cabin on Noordam?

Cruising Boomer

Just got upgraded from VF to VA 8145 - aft facing cabin on Noordam. Never had an aft facing cabin before.

The balcony is bigger - saw a picture of similar cabin on Westerdam. It is hard to tell if the cabin configuration/size/shape is different from the standard VA cabins on the Navigation deck? Anyone been in one of these aft facing cabins? Comments? Pros/cons?

Doug

I've never been in an aft facing cabin, but I understand they are great! I've read on your deck, you can hear chairs being moved around early evening, but other than that, great location.

I've always wondered about privacy from the aft pool on that deck. Can people look down right onto your balcony, or is it more private than that?

I have not been on an aft cabin on HAL, but a few years ago we had one on Princess.

We flat out loved it - in fact there were six of us cruising together, and we would all end up on my balcony before dinner.

We actually booked an aft cabin on the Noordam for the upcoming TA cruise (i believe you are coming to our M&G) cabin 8134 or 8136 i believe - but we took an upgrade to a SZ guarantee.

It would be great if you offered your cabin for the Cabin Crawl - i am sure a lot of people would like to see an aft cabin.

See you on board...

Keith

I have not been on an aft cabin on HAL, but a few years ago we had one on Princess.

We flat out loved it - in fact there were six of us cruising together, and we would all end up on my balcony before dinner.

We actually booked an aft cabin on the Noordam for the upcoming TA cruise (i believe you are coming to our M&G) cabin 8134 or 8136 i believe - but we took an upgrade to a SZ guarantee.

It would be great if you offered your cabin for the Cabin Crawl - i am sure a lot of people would like to see an aft cabin.

See you on board...

Keith

We had an upgrade to a Suite on one cruise that spoiled us forever. I read that the VA cabins are not that much less than a Suite so fewer people book them - meaning HAL ends up with these left over. For no cost, I'll take it! :D

I've never been in an aft facing cabin, but I understand they are great! I've read on your deck, you can hear chairs being moved around early evening, but other than that, great location.

I've always wondered about privacy from the aft pool on that deck. Can people look down right onto your balcony, or is it more private than that?

From the picture I saw, the balcony is about half covered from the deck above.

Doug

Doug,

I got an upsell at the last minute, last year on the Westerdam, to a handicapped suite. While it was a bit smaller than other deluxe suites, I was in heaven. Like the other poster who said all her friends came for afternoon drinks, I had 4 others on the cruise with me and they left their SA suites to have cocktails on mine.

In fact, I loved the location so much that I paid a premium to have an aft wrap cabin on the Noordam in Dec.

CJ

Doug,

I got an upsell at the last minute, last year on the Westerdam, to a handicapped suite. While it was a bit smaller than other deluxe suites, I was in heaven. Like the other poster who said all her friends came for afternoon drinks, I had 4 others on the cruise with me and they left their SA suites to have cocktails on mine.

In fact, I loved the location so much that I paid a premium to have an aft wrap cabin on the Noordam in Dec.

CJ

CJ,

Thanks - I am liking this more and more! :D

Doug

OP, I would kill for that room :D...well almost! I have a VB guarantee on my November cruise and I'd be delighted with that room. My very first balcony (a couple of years ago) was an aft balcony (Princess). I LOVED it! I've also sailed in a suite on HAL (SY) and it didn't beat that aft balcony. Enjoy!

Recently was on the Oosterdam for 21 days, which is a sister ship to the Noordam in aft facing cabin 8136.

We loved the views from the back of the ship, and also the size of the balcony.

We had the option of either sitting in the sun or shade most of the time. With the pool deck just above us it there wasn't an issue of noise, or privacy. But just be aware that you are in plain view from the above deck the further out you are on your balcony.

The only two cons about the aft facing balcony on that deck at times is the falling of soot from the ships stacks and the smoke from aft balcony smokers tends to drift back while the ship is underway. IMO certainly not a deal breaker.

Enjoy:D

oosterdam_003.JPG.f1550d383f8f7bea12e0888eb65c661c.JPG

Just got upgraded from VF to VA 8145 - aft facing cabin on Noordam. Never had an aft facing cabin before.

The balcony is bigger - saw a picture of similar cabin on Westerdam. It is hard to tell if the cabin configuration/size/shape is different from the standard VA cabins on the Navigation deck? Anyone been in one of these aft facing cabins? Comments? Pros/cons?

Doug

We have stayed in an aft cabin before and all I can say is you will LOVE it.

We had an upgrade on sister ship Oosterdam to an aft cabin. OMG! (as the youngsters would say.)

The deck we were on was the one just above the dining room (deck 4 I *think*), so it was the lowest deck with aft cabins, and everyone else in an aft cabin could look down on part of our balcony. But it was HEAVEN. I spent oh-so-much of the cruise laying out there. Reading/sleeping. I actually liked looking up and seeing people on their balconies enjoying what I was enjoying!

Yes, you may get some black soot from the stacks. It can be wiped off. But the view of the wake is mesmerizing...... if you like waterfalls, it's that kind of noise / motion.....

.... now if I could just convince my hubby (who doesn't enjoy balconies due to other people smoking - he's a bit HYPERsensitive - smells smokers once, and he'll think he's smelling it in the same place for two weeks....).....

We stayed in 4179 and 4181 on the Noordam… and 7139 on the Eurodam.

All of which are Aft Cabins.

YOU WILL LOVE THEM!!! The view is tremendous, and because they are "at the end of the hall" you get little to no foot traffic.

The verandah is larger by about 50%, it seems. The cabin is the same size as a regular, it seems.

I see no negative, except a little more noise and vibration, but not enough to be bothersome.

Congratulations on an excellent cabin choice!

As a side note: This will be your view!:)

Spring-Break-2008-232-L.jpg

Last summer I was in CABIN 4180 a DELUXE VERANDA suite with an enormous balcony ..like 2 decks . I had a large table 4 chairs 2 loungers .THe view was marvellous. I took pictures at sunrise and sunsets ...GLORIOUS

DRinks in the Pm .I actually spent a lot of time there

Cabin was huge and very comfy ..I loved this cabin ...I was spoiled for forever ..boohoo I will never get one like it again ...boohoo Plus Concierge service was very nice

I prefer aft cabins but NOTHING could top this one

Michele

We had an aft cabin on the Noordam a couple of years ago. We were traveling with five other people, in other cabins. We had the room steward bring a couple of extra chairs. We were able to comfortably fit all seven (1 was a small child) of us out there, along with a small table. We really liked it.

We were in the starboard aft corner on the Navigation deck on the Westerdam, which is also a Vista Class. It looks like the stern of the Nordam is the same tiered design as the Westerdam. You'll love it. The views are terrific and the sound of the wake is so relaxing! I'm spoiled now and hope I always get an aft balcony.

Privacy: being right under the Sea View pool/bar area on the Lido deck, there were people standing at the rail right above us, but it was usually only when we were leaving ports or during scenic cruising in Glacier Bay. Most of the time, there was no one above us. They were close enough to have a conversation with them, though. We had several people holler down and ask us what cabin category we had. It wasn't really a bother to us. There was enough of an overhang that if we wanted privacy we could just step back closer to the berth and they couldn't see us. Our chairs were against the wall and no one could see us sitting there.

Noise: We really didn't have a problem with noise from the pool area BUT we were in Alaska and very few people used the outdoor pool. That could be a different story in a warm climate. We never heard the deck chairs at night when we were sleeping. There were some reports on here that the chairs scraping the deck in the middle of the night when the crew were cleaning the deck kept people awake. We never heard that.

We were sitting on our balcony one day photographing the sunset when they started washing the deck above us, splashing water down on us. There were a bunch of people out on their balconies watching. DH talked to the concierge in the Neptune Lounge, she called the crew and they immediately stopped cleaning so we could finish watching the suset. We were very pleased with their response and understanding.

DH and I would choose an aft over any other cabin. We had decided before hand that even if they offered us an upgrade to the penthouse, we would refuse. The aft facing view is that great! There are pics of our balcony in my review below,if you're interested. Just remember, ours was not the standard aft cabin. It was the corner with the wrap around balcony, so yours won't be as big.

You may have already left, but I wanted to tell you that we had VA8136 on the Noordam (in Alaska) and loved it. You do get some early noise from the Lido deck, and they can see the back part of your balcony, but neither bothered me. The room was a little longer and so was the deck. Great views, and the wind is blocked. Enjoy your trip! As far as Tunis is concerned, it was my least favorite stop on the 20-day Med cruise, and I think you'll have a good time anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
We had an aft suite and loved it. Only downside for me is there was no breeze. The ship blocked the wind. Some folks may like that!

That was a GOOD thing in Alaska ;) We spent most of our cruise on the back out of the ice cold wind and only went on the side for pics.

Archived