trying to prepare myself... just in case

just in case we miss HMC. going 10-13 on the Fascination and it looks like this port is missed about as much as it is used. Gosh. I am not thrilled about having another sea day or going to freeport-and its only like from 7-2??? that is horrible. :(

Lots of people in our group have never been to the bahamas EVER and i dont feel like Nassau or Freeport is a great introduction. just imo.

has anyone missed hmc and had a WHOLE day in freeport? that would be better than 7-2.

just in case we miss HMC. going 10-13 on the Fascination and it looks like this port is missed about as much as it is used. Gosh. I am not thrilled about having another sea day or going to freeport-and its only like from 7-2??? that is horrible. :(

Lots of people in our group have never been to the bahamas EVER and i dont feel like Nassau or Freeport is a great introduction. just imo.

has anyone missed hmc and had a WHOLE day in freeport? that would be better than 7-2.

What makes you think the port is missed 50% of the time? Hyperbole alert! :p

There are no statistics (that I know of) that actually shows how often any given port is missed.

Stop worrying about it. You're aware that it COULD happen, but it's just a waste of energy to worry about it before you sail. It's a risk that you accept when you book (as it is for any port but much more so when it's a tender port). I'll be going for my 6th time and booked it specifically because we all want to go to HMC. Have even reserved a cabana for the first time.

Will be very disappointed if we miss it, but will still have a wonderful time even though we'll "only" be in the Bahamas.

I have absolutely NO problem with either Nassau or Freeport. There's plenty to do - just have to get out there and do it. Are there other ports I like more? Sure. But it's easy enough to find fun or relaxing things to do in any port.

I get it. im not asking for everyone to waste 3 pages with "you should just enjoy your cruise, and even if it happens you'll be fine." i know this, and know i will still have a good time. Dont really need a pep talk...lol... and am not saying i think its REALLY 50% of the time... but i have read a lot on here about it being missed.

im just asking for answers as to what happened to others and how the situation was handled. thats it.

Thanks

also... was there any compensation for the missed port, or no? it kinda sucks that you plan on having your lunch furnished by the boat in form of a free b-b-que then end up stuck buying it on land or eating on the boat.

The free bbq is just food from the ship. It;s pretty much the same food you get at the buffet on the ship.

I hope you get your day on HMC. I totally understand your disappointment if it was skipped. I would rather spend 6 hours on HMC than 3 weeks at Nassau. HMC is just like no other! And the food at HMC is very good. The jerk chicken was awesome...the burgers were a tad bit burned :) but still good...the brownies and the cookies were great! I would also be major bummed if the port was skipped, but like you it wouldn't ruin the cruise. Enjoy!

I get it. im not asking for everyone to waste 3 pages with "you should just enjoy your cruise, and even if it happens you'll be fine." i know this, and know i will still have a good time. Dont really need a pep talk...lol... and am not saying i think its REALLY 50% of the time... but i have read a lot on here about it being missed.

im just asking for answers as to what happened to others and how the situation was handled. thats it.

Thanks

You should enjoy your cruise:D

I see this is not your first post about what happens "IF".

We actually could see HMC and had dropped anchor when the announcement came that it was to rough to tender in. We ended up going to Nassau instead

Then two years ago we booked a cruise that went to HMC. We did go but it was only 14 degrees celcius.You can imagine how cold the water was. Virtually no one else went in the water but us and all cabanas were empty.

Time to try again!

Didn't mean to be insulting. Just don't see any point in worrying about something that might happen. But probably won't.

If you DO miss it, don't expect that you'll end up at another port. Sounds like some have, but it isn't like the ship can just sail somewhere else and dock. The docking berths are booked way in advance (which is why we can book a cruise 2 years before we sail). So if the nearby ports, in this case just Nassau and Freeport, are full, there will be no option to go elsewhere and you'll just have another sea day.

Yeah, I'm definitely not doing a B2B because I want to go to Nassau twice in 10 days, so I certainly will be VERY disappointed if we can't get to HMC. But I figure, that would just give me an excuse to book yet another cruise that stops there. :D

I have had five cruises booked where HMC was a port of call and only one of the cruises was it changed. Well, it wasn't just HMC that changed, the whole Eastern route changed to Western thanks to Hurricane Ike.....

HMC doesn't have stats as to how many times it is missed, but more often than not the ships gets there as intended.

Weather at HMC should be nice all year round....ya, there might be the odd day it rains for a bit.

Missed HMC in March 2011 on the Carnival Liberty after a medical emergency four hours after departure from Miami. The ship turned around and headed back to Miami. At 1:00AM a Miami Dade Fire Boat pulled up alongside the ship. Two paramedics boarded the ship and a few minutes later a elderly Asian women was placed in a Stokes Basket and put onto the fireboat. Because of the delay we bypassed HMC on Sunday and headed directly to San Juan. While enroute to San Juan we had another medical emergency which caused us to stop offshore of Grand Turk on Monday morning. A tour boat pulled alongside of us and a crew member was removed from the ship. We all received a small onboard credit for missing Half Moon Cay. Passengers were all upset about missing HMC. I told fellow passengers that stuff happens all the time and what if the sick passenger was you mother, sister, grandmother,etc. You try and make the best of an unfortunate situation.

I have been on 11 cruises and have never missed a port. Don't worry needlessly, concern yourself only if it happens. Have a great cruise! :)

I agree...we have sailed to HMC twice and BEEN to HMC twice. However, having been there, I would NOT be happy if we were to miss the port; we would actually book a cruise just to go there. BUT, there is nothing you (or anyone) can do about it, so don't spoil the anticipation and excitement of your cruise by worring about "what if." And be sure to post a WE MADE IT thread when you get back! ;) Bon Voyage! :D:D

Archived