Iron in rooms

maryooo

I read that HAL asks that you don't bring an iron with you. How do you iron your clothes? The thought of going down to a facility to iron is not appealing. I have a great little travel iron. Think I could bring it?

Of course you can bring your travel iron. You just can't use your travel iron. HAL doesn't want you using an iron in your cabin as it is a potential danger to others. When there's a fire at sea the Fire Engines aren't just a 911 away! On all but the Vista class ships there are several laundry rooms with irons and ironing boards.

If that absolutely, positively won't do you are free to send your things out for pressing. Or hang them in a steamy bathroom. Or bring Downy Wrinkle Release.

But under NO circumstances should you use an iron in your cabin.

Travel irons are ``verbotten''. Do not take, do not use on a cruise ship.

However, if you happen to pack one of the new plastic models that are light weight and have automatic cut-offs geared in, the iron police may let them aboard.

Do we need another iron thread or has this been covered before? :confused:

Dianne

I read that HAL asks that you don't bring an iron with you. How do you iron your clothes? The thought of going down to a facility to iron is not appealing. I have a great little travel iron. Think I could bring it?

Hope so.:eek:

We packed a portable steamer made by Orick. Found it on sale in their website for less than e-Bay. It has a creasing tool you can use.

However, if you happen to pack one of the new plastic models that are light weight and have automatic cut-offs geared in, the iron police may let them aboard.

Dianne

Also hope you are kidding about your new plastic model.......

travel irons start fires.

Please don't use it on a ship....on any ship.

Dianne

Please be patient with NEW posters, even if it has been covered before:(. MANY subjects have been posted time & again, but not everyone is familiar with the search engine..We were all new once!

Welcome to the boards Maryoo..Please do not bring that iron, it is much too dangerous..What ship are you booked on?

All of the ships, with the exception of the Vista Class ships, have self service laundry facilities..If you pack your clothes in plastic dry cleaner bags, they do not wrinkle as much..As several posters have mentioned, a steamer or the "Downey wrinkle remover" spray both work well..Enjoy your cruise..:) Betty

Please be patient with NEW posters, even if it has been covered before:(. MANY subjects have been posted time & again, but not everyone is familiar with the search engine..We were all new once!

Welcome to the boards Maryoo..Please do not bring that iron, it is much too dangerous..What ship are you booked on?

All of the ships, with the exception of the Vista Class ships, have self service laundry facilities..If you pack your clothes in plastic dry cleaner bags, they do not wrinkle as much..As several posters have mentioned, a steamer or the "Downey wrinkle remover" spray both work well..Enjoy your cruise..:) Betty

She started her post by saying HAL asks that you don't bring...she did not want to go down to a laundry facility...

The other cruisers prefer not to abandon ship because of a fire. What ship is she booked on?:cool:

We all welcome newcomers, and want to be as helpful as possible. That's why we're all here - to share cruise information and experiences.

However, I think the OP's phrasing is what incited the concern:

"I read that HAL asks that you don't bring an iron with you...... I have a great little travel iron. Think I could bring it?"

Sorry, Maryooo, if you feel a little clobbered. It's not meant as a personal attack. Fire hazards are just a huge concern on a ship.

Best regards,

Serendipity - I agree that we have to be patient with new posters and sometimes the Search Engine does not work, but when the OP said she read that HAL asks you not to bring an iron with you and then turns around and ask if it's OK for her to bring one, it's no wonder that posters tell her NO in no uncertain terms. :rolleyes:

Sorry Maryooo, but like Ruth says, you can bring it, you just can't use it.! :)

If you tell us which ship you are on and in what cabin, we can tell you where the closest ironing room (self-service laundry with washer and dryer) is located.

thanks for the warm welcome guys!!! And for your information I tried the search engine and it didn't work. I understand fire hazards, I just wasn't sure since my travel iron has an automatic shut off if it mattered to HAL. Clearly not. Thanks to all that were nice to me. I'll stay a lurker from now on.

Dianne

Please accept my apologies to those that did not understand my post....I really was only commenting on the above sentence & think that people should be a little nicer to new posters even if the subject has been covered before..That's why I mentioned the search engine..

I really was not commenting on the other posts & sorry that you thought that..I enjoy all my HAL cruises & also enjoy reading all the CC posts...In the three years I have been here I've learned a great deal from you all..

Obviously the poster has not thought about the consequences of bringing an iron on board..I'm sure she did not think about Irons starting fires...And I truly believe that if posts such as this are started once a week it would be ok also..I'm sure I asked questions when I joined CC that were asked before, and no one was nasty about it.. The only way the general public thinks about fires is to have the rules DRILLED into them over & over again..Also think we need another thread about not bring candles on board, as I've heard people say they do..

The reason I asked what ship, was wondering If we could point out the ease in using the launday rooms for washng & pressing..But did not want to continue if whe was going on a Vista ship.

Sorry Maryooo, but like Ruth says, you can bring it, you just can't use it.! :)

If you tell us which ship you are on and in what cabin, we can tell you where the closest ironing room (self-service laundry with washer and dryer) is located.Unquote

Betty

it IS possible she's on one of hal's ships that has no ironing facilities... so that may not be an option. best recommendation is to try a travel steamer or just hang your clothes in the bath and run the shower on full hot for about 15min (leaving them in there for sometime afterwards).

that said, i understand her question. my ex-wife refused to cruise w/o her travel iron - prohibitions and all. but if never got used - thankfully, the two cruises we took had ironing facilities on both ships. but i am quite confident if i had said there were no facilities and under no circumstance could she take the iron she very well would've refused to go... one of those women who would arise two hours before necessary to get ample time "prepping" herself for the day. :rolleyes:

maryooo, please understand that this particular topic is a sore-one around here... and people that slammed you weren't doing it with malice. please don't take it personally - and i hope you'll be posting again soon.

thanks for the warm welcome guys!!! And for your information I tried the search engine and it didn't work. I understand fire hazards, I just wasn't sure since my travel iron has an automatic shut off if it mattered to HAL. Clearly not. Thanks to all that were nice to me. I'll stay a lurker from now on.

Maryoo: Don't want to be included in your bad reply column. Just know we have been on 10 cruises on 4 lines over the past 3 years and have packed our travel iron on all cruises. Never had the iron confiscated. :) On the other hand, only used the iron twice. Both time following a very compliated flight to port from our home port.

Our trave liron is packed only as an ER measure, as much as others on a cruise might pack bottled water in case they NEED it. Travel irons aren't needed on cruises - You can leave home without them. :D And you really should not plan on using them if you pack them.

Cruise laundry services or a good spray of wrinkle spray should do you quite well in place of a travel iron.

We have found a generic brand of Downey Wrinkle Release to work well on releasing wrinkles from clothes on a cruise and would swear by that spray.

I only pack the iron because I need that packing back up in case everything else fails

A bit of hanging in the shower, a bit of spray from Downey or clone, and most wrinkles are alleviated.

Dianne

I don't mind repeat questions. We've all been newbies at one time, and I am sure most of us have benefitted from the wealth of information posted on this site.

Maryoo, welcome to the Cruise Critic HAL board! :p

I think what often sets off a chain reaction of negative posts is when someone starts with: I know HAL doesn't ... but can I???

In other words, the poster acknowledges HAL's policies, then asks if he/she can break them.

Whether it be irons in the room, diapers in the pool or shorts in the dining room [or alcohol smuggled in luggage], people often want to circumvent the rules and ask for their fellow CCers' blessings.

On the Zuiderdam last week there was some sort of deal for unlimited pressing. My daughters' boyfriends took advantage of the offer and had their suits, pants and shirts pressed during the week. It worked out well.

I agree that irons are a potential danger in a cabin. I also think that allowing smoking in cabins is a potential danger. But apparently HAL thinks smoking in a cabin is less dangerous than irons, even though irons don't fall asleep and never drink, except for a little water.

I agree that irons are a potential danger in a cabin. I also think that allowing smoking in cabins is a potential danger. But apparently HAL thinks smoking in a cabin is less dangerous than irons, even though irons don't fall asleep and never drink, except for a little water.

I Agree!!!

I Agree!!!

And when you and TedC are making the rules for HAL then you can change them. For now, though, I respectfully ask that you abide by the cruise line's rules, even if you don't understand them.

And when you and TedC are making the rules for HAL then you can change them. For now, though, I respectfully ask that you abide by the cruise line's rules, even if you don't understand them.

I always abide by the cruise lines rules, & who are you to say that I don't understand them..Why are you so defensive about an OPINION on smoking in cabins...:confused:

Maryooo I know how you feel about being a lurker. I haven't quite figured what type of questions to ask. So far my questions have been relatively ignored or misinterpretted. I'm going to be reading everyone else's Q & A's from now on.

I always abide by the cruise lines rules, & who are you to say that I don't understand them..Why are you so defensive about an OPINION on smoking in cabins...:confused:

The posting you agreed with implied that ironing was somehow less dangerous than smoking. That's an opinion, of course, and you're welcome to hold it. But the conclusion can then be drawn that since smoking is allowed, and it's more dangerous, then ironing is a very minor offense and can be overlooked.

If that is not what you were agreeing to, I apologize, but it's the way I understood your message to read.

...In other words, the poster acknowledges HAL's policies, then asks if he/she can break them. Whether it be irons in the room, diapers in the pool or shorts in the dining room [or alcohol smuggled in luggage], people often want to circumvent the rules and ask for their fellow CCers' blessings...

imo, this is the key comment in the entire thread. people are going to do what they're going to do, whether the majority approve or not. main thing is for a poster (be they newbie or veteran) to just ask the question - but do so without seeking "fellow CCers' blessings", since (at least on the iron issue) you're not going to get it - and then just accept the answer given w/o the need to endlessly debate the validity of the rule.

to that end, irons are forbidden by holland america as a fire hazard. if the poster (or anyone else) chooses to ignore that rule (or any other, be it smuggling liquor in one's luggage, bringing-back cuban cigars, not dressing formally-enough... or staying in costume for the entire evening, speeding on the highway, or whatever) it's best to just keep that choice in private.

Noticed your post & remember a few months ago wondering how I was going to travel without my little travel iron. Don't be tainted by this board-there are lots of wonderful people who are happy to answer all your questions so just keep firing away. The best tip for keeping clothing wrinkle free all in your packing. I had drycleaner bags over each of my hanging items (which included formal, informal & a few casual peices)-not one wrinkle! Had taken along wrinkle spray-never used it once. Had planned to use ship serveces for pressing if needed since the rates are very reasonable. What cruise are you going on? It is easy to check to see if they have services ahead of time. Spoke with other guests who were very pleased with the services for both laundry & pressing. Since we did not need to fly on our recent cruise we had lots of luggage but would definitely consider the ships laundry/pressing services if we need to minimize our packing list on fly/cruise vacation. Have a great time on your trip!

Archived