iPad prices inboard

adriand100

Welcome to Cruise Critic --

You don't state where you are from , which might make a difference as to the advice you would get, but you should know that the inventory of products on board is usually very limited, and it's not likely that you'll find new IPad's for sale. There isn't much advantage to buying anything on board beyond the fact that you won't be paying sales tax (or VAT, or whatever you might be subject to) that you might pay at home.

It's good that you're starting this research so far in advance, since it is a complex issue --

A good thing to do now might be to start a search of this board, putting in a couple of pertinent search terms -- IPad, and UK come to mind, to see if anybody else from the UK has already been able to purchase one and if they have had any problems so far

• 2 weeks later...
All points noted.. I will dig a bit deeper on here for any further help. Generally £500 Uk equates to $500 in the US then with conversion

I believe that 500 pounds sterling=$800USD

When I was on the Solstice, this past May, they wanted the same price as the Apple Store in Phoenix did, only no sales tax. Quantities were very limited and were gone in the first couple of days. Where you buy them should have nothing to do with the warranty coverage.

Keep in mind that if you do not purchase it in your home country, repair options may be limited. Additionally, some consumers have reported issues with the App Store when purchased outside their home country.

Sorry, but thats absolutely not true! Apple grants you international warranty (except for the iphone) even at all the apple stores and official resellers. The issue about the appstore is nonsense too. Those devices are not in any way locked or built to any specific country/region except for the charger.

Last but not least, I have bought many many apple devices all over the world over the past 10 years and had no issue running them anywhere. Even my ipad bought in Germany, that had a problem recently, I had no issue to get it exchanged for free at my local apple reseller here in Curacao...

To come back to the pricing, i've understood that on Celebrity they have the same prices as in the US apple store (just without VAT). For a lot of Europeans this makes it a huge bargain, since official pricing in EUR or GBP is quite steep and it gets worst, the more expensive a product becomes...

I was on the Infinity in may and the price was actually slightly higher than the US stores, we can also get educational discounts from Apple that do help a bit.

I am going on the Reflection next November I guess us US folks should ask our foreign friends if they want us to pick up an Ipad for them if the US is that much cheaper due to VAT can you bring it back into your country duty free, or do you just not bother claiming it as purchased?

I was also surprised that the Apple classes onboard were not even free or discounted if you purchaeed onboard?

Sorry to confuse, but yes Cruisestitch is correct regarding my comparison. What costs £500 here in the UK will cost roughly $500 in the US.

Current Apple shop prices:

16gb £399

32gb £479

64gb £559

Thats for wifi only models. Add £100 extra for Cellular.

One advice from a globetrotter...

Buy your Ipad in the USA or indeed onboard, and then before gong back to the Uk, put some apps on, download pictures etc. Get rid of the original packing. This reduces the risk of being caught by the maffia called Customs when arriving back in the UK and when you have bought more than the max. Amount for tax free exemption.

One advice from a globetrotter...

Buy your Ipad in the USA or indeed onboard, and then before gong back to the Uk, put some apps on, download pictures etc. Get rid of the original packing. This reduces the risk of being caught by the maffia called Customs when arriving back in the UK and when you have bought more than the max. Amount for tax free exemption.

sadly it won't prevent customs from identifying if you are stopped for search. The iPad (and all Apple products) needs to be registered to work and one click by customs and the date when it was registered will be displayed.

Another thing to consider - Apple products sold on celebrity have US power leads. No big deal, but if you need to buy a UK power lead then then that could be another £30 from Apple in the UK unless you buy a cheap generic substitute.

Warranty is not an issue - I buy Apple goods / accessories regularly in NY and when something needs fixed within warranty I just pop into my Apple store in Glasgow and they replace without question.

From the Celebrity website:

Is there Internet access onboard?

All of our ships have Internet Cafes. Celebrity iLounges are found on Celebrity Summit®, Celebrity Solstice®, Celebrity Eclipse®, Celebrity SilhouetteSM, Celebrity ReflectionSM, and Celebrity Infinity®. Online@Celebrity is found on Celebrity EquinoxSM, Celebrity Century®, Celebrity Millennium®, and Celebrity Xpedition®. Internet access is available in the Internet Cafés 24 hours a day until debarkation is completed.

You can connect to the Internet on each ship, either by accessing a 24/7 wireless connection "hotspot" with your own laptop or tablet, or utilizing the resources of the Internet Café and its computers onboard. You will be able to receive email, via satellite link 24 hours a day, satellite conditions permitting. We also have an Internet Manager on board to assist you.

INTERNET PACKAGES

Package Name Minutes Included Price

In and Out 38 $24.95

In Touch 90 $49.95

Informed 208 $99.95

Interact 555 $199.95

Involved 1666 $399.95

Per minute rate is $0.75. Captain's Club Premium Offers that are distributed onboard may not apply to all packages. Internet rates and packages are subject to change without prior notice.

Archived