New restrictions re US$ on Argentine citizens

pmacher61

Travelers to Argentina should be aware that the thriving parallel market for US cash will no doubt be accelerated by the latest government moves on its own citizens to cure the problem. Bottom line. If cruising into Buenos Aires, use US cash for major purchases. Merchants will give you a good rate of exchange and that is not illegal trading outside the official circuit. See http://en.mercopress.com/2012/10/13/dollar-clamp-in-argentina-extended-to-all-outgoing-tourists?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily

Travelers to Argentina should be aware that the thriving parallel market for US cash will no doubt be accelerated by the latest government moves on its own citizens to cure the problem. Bottom line. If cruising into Buenos Aires, use US cash for major purchases. Merchants will give you a good rate of exchange and that is not illegal trading outside the official circuit. See http://en.mercopress.com/2012/10/13/dollar-clamp-in-argentina-extended-to-all-outgoing-tourists?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily

Very glad to know this. I've had my driver from the BA airport offer to exchange US$ for us and I was wondering if doing so would land me in jail!! He also mentioned that merchants and restaurant owners would also give a good rate of exchange for US$.

Very glad to know this. I've had my driver from the BA airport offer to exchange US$ for us and I was wondering if doing so would land me in jail!! He also mentioned that merchants and restaurant owners would also give a good rate of exchange for US$.

I have no opinion on whether a pvt person may trade one currency for another (although that is very commonly done in Bs As), but trading goods for foreign currency is another matter.

Archived