Shops in the Falmouth Port

LiseD

Is it a large shopping area in the Falmouth port area? I have lined up tours in our other 2 ports and am wondering if this might just be a good day to walk around the shops? I will have my 19 yo twin girls with me who LOVE to shop and I don't think we will have a lot of time for that at the other ports.

Ok...sounds like this may be a shopping day....none of the tours really jumped out at me! As I said...the girls LOVE to shop and we are busy at the other 2 ports....so this will be a good plan for Falmouth

We were not even planning on leaving the ship in Jamaica so hearing the port area is gated and secured is great news. It will be nice to get off the ship and walk around the new area. We ported in Montego Bay on our last W. Caribbean and were not impressed. It is a shame as the island is beautiful but the people were so pushy.

Do passengers have to go through the Jamaican security to get back off the ship if they stay in the secured port area. I read that the pat downs can be pretty humiliating. We didnt experience anything like I read about on our subsequent trip there.

We were not even planning on leaving the ship in Jamaica so hearing the port area is gated and secured is great news. It is a shame as the island is beautiful but the people were so pushy.

Oh boy, where have I heard this before? It is starting to sound like a broken record. A port was brought to our town (Falmouth) for which we were not prepared. We have to get our act together before we scare everyone away. The sad thing is that the locals are really nice but honestly, aggressive. I wrote about it in a blog post entitled: The Real Reason Cruise Ship Visitors Avoid Falmouth Town.

Oh boy, where have I heard this before? It is starting to sound like a broken record. A port was brought to our town (Falmouth) for which we were not prepared. We have to get our act together before we scare everyone away. The sad thing is that the locals are really nice but honestly, aggressive. I wrote about it in a blog post entitled: The Real Reason Cruise Ship Visitors Avoid Falmouth Town.

Nice blog post. We recently returned from Falmouth, and experienced the agressiveness of the vendors outside the port gates. Unfortunately, because of their off-putting agressiveness, we would never know if they were nice or not! I hope that the residents of Falmouth are successful in turning around the prevailing attitude toward their town. I would much rather support the economy of the locals at their own businesses outside the port (vs the shops inside the port gates), but the persistent badgering/offers to buy drugs/etc. has left me with little desire to ever return to Falmouth.

Thanks for the blog post. I was in Jamaica several years ago (Ocho Rios) and really enjoyed it. (The locals were a little aggressive in selling their goods, but nothing that took away from the enjoyment of being there.) I am now bringing a group of 20 people on a cruise that will stop at Falmouth. Some have never cruised before; none have been to Jamaica. They are looking to me for advice on what to do in Jamaica. We will definitely be getting off the ship and doing some exploring. Any advice, tips, suggestions?

Wow, that was a great blog, Falmouthpo. It's nice to hear a native's point of view. I've been to Jamaica several times but never to Falmouth. First was to an AI in Negril. We ventured out once but with an excursion thru the AI. Everything was great until we hit a street market. OMG, the vendors were pushy then. Others we ported in Mo Bay and did a ship excursions. On the way back we stopped at a market; it wasn't too bad.

I so want to venture out and see the countryside. Jamaica is beautiful! It's the prettiest island I've been to. I just can't stand to have anyone in my "personal space". I get very nervous.

I hope the vendors will start to realize, with a little education, that they are the problem. I hope by the next time I visit I will WANT to venture outside the gated area.

• 1 month later...

we will be taking a beach excursion in this port but would like to shop at the pier after the excursion returns.....what stores are there including local crafts, music, artwork, spices, Bob Marley items?

what type of security pat downs are referred to? never had that in any port--just the airport in Rome...

We just got back and went to doctors cave for snorkeling. When we came back my husband got patted down ad really dont understand why. They invaded his personal space. I really dont think thatshould be happening. We have been on many cruises and never had that happen. Oh well, iguess people hide things there.

The area is totally gated but there is alot of space. They have really great wood carvings and some really nice paintings. We never felt unsafe.

Being that you live in Falmouth, do you have any suggestions of things to go see or do? I would like to experience the culture, not just spend the day shopping. What things are safe?

Being that you live in Falmouth, do you have any suggestions of things to go see or do? I would like to experience the culture, not just spend the day shopping. What things are safe?

I actually wrote a blog post to provide information for visitors who want to discover Falmouth. It is entitled Things To Do In Falmouth.

Moving around the town is safe, it is just in the shopping areas where you might find aggressive selling which may be a bother to some, but still safe.

Archived