Oasis Review from a mom with two boys

jpr1908

We just got home from our Oct 6th sailing on Oasis. This review will be my first, so please be gentle!

About Us

We are a family of four...dh (37) ds#1 (9) ds#2 (5) and I am 35. This sailing was the second for our sons; now that both are in year-round schools we vacation in October. DH is in healthcare IT and I am a child and adolescent therapist in private practice.

Embarkation

Embarkation was an absolute breeze. Fifteen minutes from the time we arrived at the pier, we were walking into the Royal promenade! We were amazed at the ease of getting so many people through the process.

The Ship

There is no way that words can describe how beautiful and unique Lady O really is. She is massive! The most serene place for us was Central Park. The greenery and tranquility of this area cannot be described. And, not to mention there is one of my favorite stores there (Coach). The only times we felt that we were four of 6,000 guests were following shows and waiting for the elevators. The pools were packed on sea days as expected but we never had a problem finding chairs/tables. And there was ALWAYS something going on....parades, shows, sales (LOL) and character appearances. The ship felt "alive" all of the time.

Stateroom

We were in 12597, a Central Park balcony room. It was very quiet despite being closer than I expected to the pool! The four of us stayed together and our sons had a sofa bed. Honestly, it was too crowded and we will not do this arrangement again. It was difficult maneuvering around luggage particularly at night when the sofa was converted to a bed. Last year we did adjoining staterooms and will opt to do that next time. However, Paulino was most accommodating and one of the best room attendants hands down.

Dining

We dined in the Windjammer, MDR, Johnny Rockets and the Seafood Shack. Dh and I regularly dine in prime steakhouses and opted out of specialty restaurants (personal preference). The Windjammer was just that...windjammer food. Servers were extremely helpful in helping us find seating; we never had to wait! We did enjoy "flavored waters" on this trip. The new menu suited us well. I was able to have shrimp cocktail every single night (happy dance). And, lobster night was a huge hit. Our waiter, Sugita, was attentive and quickly learned our likings to be able to suggest entrees. And he was AMAZING with our sons. The boys thought JR was a real treat. And who can beat a $4.95 cover! We had appetizers in the SS that were okay.

I am beat and the boys want me to play a few games before we all turn in. I will be back with info on shore excursions, AO and disembarkation. But ask any specific question and I will do my best to answer.

My five year old son is already telling me he doesn't want to go to the "kids club". This stems from our last cruise on an NCL ship. Is there enough to do to keep him busy if not in Adventure Ocean?

We've cruised with my DD for about the last 10 years starting when she was seven and she wanted absolutely no part of the Kid's Club or as she calls it Kid Jail. We tried both Disney and RCL and it didn't make a difference. The Kid's Club doesn't appeal to all kids. We always found plenty to do outside of the Kids Club to keep her amused for the last 10 years.

My five year old son is already telling me he doesn't want to go to the "kids club". This stems from our last cruise on an NCL ship. Is there enough to do to keep him busy if not in Adventure Ocean?

Adventure Ocen has a Registration and Open House from 6:30-8:30 the first night. We made sure to drop by and hang out for about 45 minutes, playing some games and allowing our GS time to get acclimated. He was 7 at the time and typically attended 2 of the 3 sessions daily on that sailing. We are about to go on our 5th cruise with him and AO has been a great option for us. When he was younger we would pop in to make sure he was enjoying himself...only once did he want to leave.

I think the trick is to ease them into it. You don't mention what ship you are on...if its Oasis or a Freedom class ship the kids clubs are very impressive. It's also a nice break for the parents!!!

I saw where check in was 6:30-8:30 i thought they had an earlier one as well 11am-3pm which would be great..is that true? trying to eat dinner and cram in a check in before a show is crazy....i mean we did it for our son on the Enchantment and Freedom but i saw on a AO welcome compass with a earlier check in...my son which is 9 LOVES AO never had issues with him there...

Nice review. As an ex General Manager of the Ruth's Chris in downtown Chicago, how we're the steaks and the wine list? Thanks!

I only had a MDR steak once (strip) and it did not compare to RC. Others who dined in specialty restaurants can chime in on their thoughts.

Our 5 year old did not want to go initially but we encouraged him to just try it. He ended up having a ball. No, its not for every child or every parent. We were not comfortable trying it last year as parents but are glad we did. Our boys had a blast and it gave us time to do adult things.

Here is a little more....

Adventure Ocean

Our boys had a blast! We had to set limits or else they wanted to go all day everyday! They were Aquanauts and Voyagers. The staff members were wonderful and activities were fun and engaging. They made new friends and learned about other cultures. We used the late night service ($6/hour/child) on two nights; they stayed until 11pm. The facility alone is amazing. It has a theater where they often had family activities. Dreamworks characters made appearances, too.

Shows

We went to Oasis of Dreams, comedy show, and Come Fly With Me. All WONDERFUL!!! SPECTACULAR!!!! As stated before, there were always parades or flash mobs or something on the promenade.

Disembarkation

Just as easy as embarkation! Amazing that so many exited so smoothly.

Overall, an amazing experience!

Nice review. As an ex General Manager of the Ruth's Chris in downtown Chicago, how we're the steaks and the wine list? Thanks!

We used to go to a Ruth Chris' in a part of Houston area. They closed down and the other location is farther so we haven't made it there in over 5 years.

Best steak we ever tasted. and better than Saltgrass which is a chain in Houston.

Chris' is expensive but worth the price

Archived