sold out vs. waitlist

Barrheadlass

I have browsed several different cruises and found each of interest to me either sold out or waitlisted...how do they decide the difference?

If it is sold out it means the cabins are full and the waitlist is full..waitlist means you can continue to make a waitlist

Jancruz1

I have browsed several different cruises and found each of interest to me either sold out or waitlisted...how do they decide the difference?

Waitlist means that the cruise line is of the opinion that a cabin in that category might open up, and they are keeping a list of people who are interested in booking one IF that happens.

Sold Out means that there are already so many people waiting for a cabin in that category that there is no chance of one opening up.

There are four levels:

Room Assignment -- self explanatory

Guarantee (GTY) -- you WILL get a cabin, but you won't know which one until later -- possibly as late as boarding!

Wait list -- you will NOT be guaranteed a cabin, but if one opens up (usually through a cancellation), and all the GTYs are satisfied, and if everyone on the wait list ahead of you gets a cabin, you might, also. Then again, you might not.

Sold out -- you won't even get a chance to get on a wait list -- there are already too many people on the wait list. You could keep watching -- in the rare event that there are lots of cancellations, the wait list may open up again.

Usually, the various stages are by category -- all the ocean view cabins may be sold out while there are cabin assignments available in concierge, for example.

{Edit} That's what I get for eating dinner in the middle of a reply Jim beats me to it! :D:D:cool:

We are waitlisted on a Regent cruise in April and have been TOLD that the lists should clear. (Yes, I won't count on that assurance!)

But I was somewhat reassured that the lists *should* clear ...

We shall see!

Mura

All this is true, but we're on the Tahiti cruise coming up in Jan 2013. Some cabins were sold out and some were wait listed not long ago. Now that were 60 days out, a lot of cabins are now open for sale to be booked now. So always have hope, it can happen.

Rick

All this is true, but we're on the Tahiti cruise coming up in Jan 2013. Some cabins were sold out and some were wait listed not long ago. Now that were 60 days out, a lot of cabins are now open for sale to be booked now. So always have hope, it can happen.

Rick

We were booked on the Jan 16th Tahiti cruise and after getting about 5 move over offers (mostly for the Med.) we finally took one to move to the 18 day Papeete to Lima cruise in april. From what I understand the Tahiti cruise we were booked on was way oversold and with all of the move over offers as well as final payment coming due that is probably why everything is opened up now. That being said it seems kind of silly to make all of these offers to people to get them to switch cruisess and now there are plenty of cabins available for sale.

Well, guys, you are encouraging me.

We are wait listed for a Regent cruise to Asia in April - DH announced a little late that he wanted to give me a cruise for our 40th anniversary but there was nothing on Oceania that suited, so we went for this very overbooked cruise.

My TA has told me we've had several offers to move to another cruise because it is very overbooked, but he didn't even convey the offers to us because they were for very different cruises (and probably dates) without any incentives to move. At least when O asks me to switch, they sweeten the pot.

Final pay-up date isn't until mid-December so we'll keep on waiting. And if it doesn't happen ... it doesn't.

Life will go on.

Mura

Well, guys, you are encouraging me.

We are wait listed for a Regent cruise to Asia in April - DH announced a little late that he wanted to give me a cruise for our 40th anniversary but there was nothing on Oceania that suited, so we went for this very overbooked cruise.

My TA has told me we've had several offers to move to another cruise because it is very overbooked, but he didn't even convey the offers to us because they were for very different cruises (and probably dates) without any incentives to move. At least when O asks me to switch, they sweeten the pot.

Final pay-up date isn't until mid-December so we'll keep on waiting. And if it doesn't happen ... it doesn't.

Life will go on.

Mura

Mura - life in indeed an interesting journey :)

My daughter was helping me exhibit at a trade show near Providence, RI, and we were heading back to Sacramento on the last flights of the day. She had class the next morning that she "couldn't miss."

Our inbound flight to Providence from Chicago was delayed, which meant our flight from Providence to Chicago was going to be delayed which might cause us to miss our connecting flight from Chicago to Sacramento.

As she started to stress, I said to her, "we either make it or we don't, but there's no need to stress."

\Maybe this is what the Beatles meant when they sang, "Ob La Di, Ob La Da, Life Goes On..." Bleh!! :)

I have deduced that wait lists are cleared with consideration for how long you want the cabin in question.

In say a 3 segment cruise I think the allocate cabins 1/3 for the first segment passenger, 1/3m for the second segment 1/3 the all -3 segment passenger.

So if the all 3 segment reserve is not sold out then the other 2 wait lists will get picked from. Preference I think would be given for passengers cruising 2 or more segments first. So the longer you want the cabin would be key in getting one. The 40 day guy will get picked before the 17 day guys request....

It seems logical to do that.....

Archived