Need Help - Railroad from Anchorage to Seward

micruiser12

We are trying to plan our own travel next summer before our cruise, picking up a rental car in Anchorage, traveling to Denali for a few days and then leaving the rental car back in Anchorage. We plan to stay a night in Anchorage and then take the train from Anchorage to Seward to catch our cruise. Can anyone give me advise on where to stay in Anchorage and Seward that would have shuttles to the depot or even if the train has packages that make this more convenient?

If you have done this, please let me know how it all worked out for you and any advise on doing this on our own. Thanks for any help you can give us!

I've taken the railroad, and stayed many nights in both Anchorage and Seward. Some of the Anchorage downtown hotels, do have railroad shuttles, but a cab isn't considerable. There is a wide range of lodiging to choose from. You need to determine your budget and preferences.

Seward, a cab ride from most any of the hotels to the depot would be under $10. Most do not shuttle. This year I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which is walkable. (with no mobility limitations) Several other years, I've stayed at the Marina, same thing, easy walk to/from the depot, as well as my "always" Kenai Fjords boat tours.

Check out maps and listings http://www.anchorage.net http://www.seward.com

Thanks Budget Queen! Your advice is always helpful. Ever stayed at the Comfort Inn? Holiday Inn Express is one we considered as long as we felt we could lug our suitcases from the train station without too much of a problem.

Question on the tours in Seward. We would like to take the helicopter and dog sled on a glacier tour with the local company there as I believe you said they have less cancellations. Have you done the excursion with the tour in Seward?

We stayed at Comfort Inn Ship Creek (Anchorage) in July. Their shuttle picked us up at the airport, then we walked to the depot the next morning. It is an easy walk (again, assuming no mobility issues) - the four of us had 5 rolling suitcases plus carryons. We didn't spend much awake time at the hotel - by the time we returned from exploring Anchorage on foot we were wiped out, so went to bed at 8:00 - so all I can tell you is the room was clean and the breakfast was good for a free hotel breakfast.

The beds were fine (although we're not terribly picky). We were so tired from a long travel day and the time change we really didn't notice!

We traveled a classic car on the train. Although the train was sold out, our car was nearly always empty, and the dome was practically empty as well. I don't know where everyone went! We were told that we should limit our time in the dome so everyone could have a chance, but DH spent the entire trip there. I had to retreat back downstairs, as the additional motion wasn't so good for my motion sickness.

The staff at the Comfort in are fantastic and are very tuned in to the needs of those departing on the trains. Breakfast is timed that way. They run a shuttle over to the train station for those who don't care to make the short walk.

This hotel is next to the Ulu Factory, a great place for gift shopping and not far from Ship Creek.

The walk up to downtown is a tough one, but the distance is not far.

The staff at the Comfort in are fantastic and are very tuned in to the needs of those departing on the trains. Breakfast is timed that way. They run a shuttle over to the train station for those who don't care to make the short walk.

This hotel is next to the Ulu Factory, a great place for gift shopping and not far from Ship Creek.

The walk up to downtown is a tough one, but the distance is not far.

Any recommendations on rooms to request as far as not getting train noise or other noise at the Comfort Inn? Is booking the dome car worth the extra money for the view from Anchorage to Seward?

Thanks Budget Queen! Your advice is always helpful. Ever stayed at the Comfort Inn? Holiday Inn Express is one we considered as long as we felt we could lug our suitcases from the train station without too much of a problem.

Question on the tours in Seward. We would like to take the helicopter and dog sled on a glacier tour with the local company there as I believe you said they have less cancellations. Have you done the excursion with the tour in Seward?

You can actually check your luggage from Anchorage directly to the Holiday Inn Express at the Anchorage train station, so if you're checking your begs - you don't have to carry them over to the hotel! You just walk right over to the Holiday Inn Express, and your bags will be delivered directly to the hotel.

You can actually check your luggage from Anchorage directly to the Holiday Inn Express at the Anchorage train station, so if you're checking your begs - you don't have to carry them over to the hotel! You just walk right over to the Holiday Inn Express, and your bags will be delivered directly to the hotel.

Oh, thank you! I like that idea. Will take another look at Holiday Inn Express.

Oh, thank you! I like that idea. Will take another look at Holiday Inn Express.

No problem! :) We really liked the Holiday Inn Express. It was really convenient, checking the luggage through to the hotel, and just walking over. They have free wifi, and the rooms are HUGE! The breakfast there is great, with the most beautiful view! It was easy getting from there to everywhere around town, and we took the Exit Glacier Guides shuttle to Exit Glacier - they picked us up and dropped us off right at the hotel.

No problem! :) We really liked the Holiday Inn Express. It was really convenient, checking the luggage through to the hotel, and just walking over. They have free wifi, and the rooms are HUGE! The breakfast there is great, with the most beautiful view! It was easy getting from there to everywhere around town, and we took the Exit Glacier Guides shuttle to Exit Glacier - they picked us up and dropped us off right at the hotel.

I just booked this hotel based on several good comments including yours and BudgetQueen and how easy it will be to stay there from the train ride. How did you arrange the shuttle to Exit Glacier? Also, how close to the pier for a cruise (we will be on a Celebrity cruise)? Any other suggestions for things to visit and restaurants in Seward area without a car?

The shuttle is offered by Exit Glacier Guides:

http://www.exitglacierguides.com/kenai_fjords_glacier_shuttle_in_Seward_Alaska

The trails are easy enough to follow but you may also enjoy the additional information provided by a ranger-led walk:

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm

For the past few yrs there has been a free shuttle that runs from the harbor to and around downtown Seward. There's also a lovely waterfront path from the harbor to downtown ( by the SeaLife Center). It's about 1 1/2 miles to walk, and very scenic since you're looking across the bay at mountains and glaciers, fishing boats on the move, otters playing off shore and an occassional eagle flying by.

We enjoy halibut at Thorn's Showcase Lounge downtown. The portions are enormous so order one bowl of 'but for 2 people. It's a popular locals place and can get rather smokey inside so if that bothers you, get it to go or dine early. IF the weather is nice, there's a gazebo with picnic tables just a couple of blocks away on the waterfront.

For others reading this thread, the city of Seward has a great web site with lots of info on activities, lodging, restaurants, the free shuttle, taxis, a map, and you can send for a free Visitors Guide. (most towns/ports have similar sites to promote tourism so don't overlook this great resource.)

http://seward.com/

We loved the SeaLife Center, they have great exhibits, and I also did the octupos encounter, which was one of the things I was most looking forward to on the whole trip, and I was not dissapointed! Pardon my red eyes...

2012166_zps0291a326.jpg

Exit glacier was great! Really beautiful. We didn't have enough time to go on a ranger walk, which is probably be fantastic! I don't know when you're going, but be prepaired for mosquitoes over there.

2012208_zps21f5a2c2.jpg

We also just liked walking around town, because it's such a special place. We fell in love with Seward! Got some ice cream and chocholate fudge and just walked back to the hotel from the SeaLife center.

Of course there are the Kenai Fjords boat tours that people rave about and are a highlight for alot of people (we didn't do it because I've read alot of sea sick warnings from people about this particular tour, and I didn't want to chance it before getting on the cruise).

As for getting to the cruise ship, we asked the hotel desk and they recommended taking a cab. It's a really short drive, but I don't think it's a good idea to walk it with your luggage.

Check out our view from the breakfast area!

2012192_zpsc3a684a2.jpg

That's our ship, the Radiance.

You asked about Goldstar versus regular class on the train. We were in Goldstar class, and since we purchased our tickets way in advance, we got the front row. We really loved it, and it was worth the money for us, and would go Goldstar again. Other people will tell you that it's not necessary. The train to Seward is amazing no matter what, so do what you feel comfortable with doing.

2012145_zpsf8380b06.jpg

We ate at Terry's Fish & Chips. It was soooo good!! But a little on the expensive side.

2012162_zps22a589fe.jpg

I got the salmon fillet. yum yum yum!!! I ate some of the fish before I remembered to take the picture...

2012163_zps76c45908.jpg

halibut fish and chips were amazing!

Ive read good things about Ray's Waterfront, which is also close to the Holiday Inn Express, but we didn't eat there, so I can't say.

About the shuttle to Exit Glacier, Mapleleaves gave you that info. I knew about them in advance, but I took their number from the front desk at the hotel. When I called them and told them where we were staying, they offered to pick us up and drop us off right from our hotel, so that was very easy, and they really do get you there in time for the ranger walk (we just didn't have enough time to go on it...).

It is worthwhile to allow enough time at Exit Glacier, it has receeded significantly and requires a walk for the best viewing. If you want upper viewing there is a right fork to take a trail. The does end up at the stairs.

I also like Chinooks Restaurant next to the Holiday Inn Express. I only stay there with points, otherwise, I'm at the Marina. :) The HI was over $300/night during my stay.

Thank you all! Great suggestions! Just what I was looking for. I welcome any other suggestions regarding Seward or train advise too if others decide to post. I have planned several private excursions to other places just based on cruise critic advise and never been disappointed.

We upgraded to the Goldstar because I like to take pictures, big time. Hubby enjoyed the view and I pretty much lived out on the balcony the whole time. It was easier taking pictures from there than from the little alcove at the back of the traincar on the Adventure class, since you could see what was coming and had time to focus. The periscope dome on the Adventure class gave me an aquarium headache so I didn't use it at all when we were riding from Fairbanks to Denali.

I wanted to do this ride so much we went to Seward for a day and half and then caught a taxi to take us to Whittier where we were sailing from.

DSC_0520.JPG

DSC_0540.JPG

DSC_0558.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

Wasn't sorry that was our choice.

• 3 weeks later...
We are trying to plan our own travel next summer before our cruise, picking up a rental car in Anchorage, traveling to Denali for a few days and then leaving the rental car back in Anchorage. We plan to stay a night in Anchorage and then take the train from Anchorage to Seward to catch our cruise. Can anyone give me advise on where to stay in Anchorage and Seward that would have shuttles to the depot or even if the train has packages that make this more convenient?

If you have done this, please let me know how it all worked out for you and any advise on doing this on our own. Thanks for any help you can give us!

Comfort Inn SHips Creek is 1/4 mile from the Railroad depot and they do have a shuttle as well as free breakfast at 5am before you have to go over to the depot.

We loved the SeaLife Center, they have great exhibits, and I also did the octupos encounter, which was one of the things I was most looking forward to on the whole trip, and I was not dissapointed! Pardon my red eyes...

2012166_zps0291a326.jpg

Exit glacier was great! Really beautiful. We didn't have enough time to go on a ranger walk, which is probably be fantastic! I don't know when you're going, but be prepaired for mosquitoes over there.

2012208_zps21f5a2c2.jpg

We also just liked walking around town, because it's such a special place. We fell in love with Seward! Got some ice cream and chocholate fudge and just walked back to the hotel from the SeaLife center.

Of course there are the Kenai Fjords boat tours that people rave about and are a highlight for alot of people (we didn't do it because I've read alot of sea sick warnings from people about this particular tour, and I didn't want to chance it before getting on the cruise).

As for getting to the cruise ship, we asked the hotel desk and they recommended taking a cab. It's a really short drive, but I don't think it's a good idea to walk it with your luggage.

Check out our view from the breakfast area!

2012192_zpsc3a684a2.jpg

That's our ship, the Radiance.

You asked about Goldstar versus regular class on the train. We were in Goldstar class, and since we purchased our tickets way in advance, we got the front row. We really loved it, and it was worth the money for us, and would go Goldstar again. Other people will tell you that it's not necessary. The train to Seward is amazing no matter what, so do what you feel comfortable with doing.

2012145_zpsf8380b06.jpg

We ate at Terry's Fish & Chips. It was soooo good!! But a little on the expensive side.

2012162_zps22a589fe.jpg

I got the salmon fillet. yum yum yum!!! I ate some of the fish before I remembered to take the picture...

2012163_zps76c45908.jpg

halibut fish and chips were amazing!

Ive read good things about Ray's Waterfront, which is also close to the Holiday Inn Express, but we didn't eat there, so I can't say.

About the shuttle to Exit Glacier, Mapleleaves gave you that info. I knew about them in advance, but I took their number from the front desk at the hotel. When I called them and told them where we were staying, they offered to pick us up and drop us off right from our hotel, so that was very easy, and they really do get you there in time for the ranger walk (we just didn't have enough time to go on it...).

that looks like a VERY big octopus you got there!!!

Archived