Thinking NCL for First Time-What's Different?

Strathmore

My wife and I have started cruising the last couple of years and have been trying different lines to see what they are like. We are late fifties. We enjoyed them all but have been developing sort of a preference toward RC and Princess. Found age of passengers on HA tending to be a bit older and the activity level a bit quiet. I liked Celebrity's class, although, again, wife thought that there was not a lot of activity in the evenings.

We are not into belly flop or hairy leg contests or lots of screaming music. Would we like NCL? Considering a January 2014 Southern Caribbean on NCL Sun because of itinerary.

I was just reading the NCL boards hoping to find the same answers. We love RCCL but are thinking about a NCL cruise from NY because we could drive to the port. Can anyone who has been on both RCCL and NCL compare them for me? I know about the freestyle dining. I like to be busy all day -- trivia contests, name that tune, etc. Does NCL have all these activities?

There are dozens of threads comparing the standard lines in this forum. Not to be a jerk, but if you do some searching you'll find lots and lots of information. Here are a few

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721786

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1510099

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679972

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1686875

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1699776

My wife and I have started cruising the last couple of years and have been trying different lines to see what they are like. We are late fifties. We enjoyed them all but have been developing sort of a preference toward RC and Princess. Found age of passengers on HA tending to be a bit older and the activity level a bit quiet. I liked Celebrity's class, although, again, wife thought that there was not a lot of activity in the evenings.

We are not into belly flop or hairy leg contests or lots of screaming music. Would we like NCL? Considering a January 2014 Southern Caribbean on NCL Sun because of itinerary.

Yep. and you picked a perfect ( my favorite ) cruise and S. Carib ta boot . Its a laid back crowd , really.

The only thing I can add is , if you can do a suite (9276) ;)

sorry Donna

There are dozens of threads comparing the standard lines in this forum. Not to be a jerk, but if you do some searching you'll find lots and lots of information. Here are a few

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721786

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1510099

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679972

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1686875

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1699776

Geeez Mike what happened ? Did it fall below 78 out there :p

I was just reading the NCL boards hoping to find the same answers. We love RCCL but are thinking about a NCL cruise from NY because we could drive to the port. Can anyone who has been on both RCCL and NCL compare them for me? I know about the freestyle dining. I like to be busy all day -- trivia contests, name that tune, etc. Does NCL have all these activities?

RC is lovely but I find the dining options limited. The food in MDR is lovely but if you want a change of scenery then your speciality dining options are limited I feel. I have only sailed Freedom class however.

On NCL the choices for dining are endless. We loved O'Sheehans on Epic for 24 hr comfort fiod, the MDR was no where as good or refined as RC but the speciality and other dining options was incredible. We also found the evenings far more fun and livlier on NCL.

The people that work for Norwegian keeps us coming back (and the prices!) They are so nice, friendly and accomodating.

We have never had a reason to complain on a Norwegian ship (or any ship)

Try it, I'm almost positive it won't be a bad experience for you!

I had sailed other lines like you, and then realized I didn't want to spend time flying to ports so we were checking out cruises from NY or NJ so we could drive to the port.

Our first NCL was a one or two nighter on the Gem to see what NCL was like. Liked it enough to book again on Jewel, Star, etc.

There are more dining options, however, most are at an additional cost. The food IMO is very good and last cruise we did not eat at an upcharge restaurant once; didn't feel the need to. We have eaten at 3 or 4 of their upcharge restaurants and all were quite good.

Entertainment, service, cabin size, activities are similar.

I think it's best to give it a try to form your own opinion. I'm sure glad I did! :)

We found many activities we enjoyed on NCL, as we too, participate in trivia, name that tune, photo scavenger hunts, etc. but have never attended anything with belly flops or hairy legs :eek:.

If you are entertaining the idea to cruise NCL, I would suggest you look into sailing in a suite if you can. Anything from a penthouse or above. (not a mini-suite) NCL suite passengers really are spoiled, and with the amenities provided for suite customers, has left us very pleased with the product. Priority embarkation, priority tenders, special venue for breakfast and lunch, butler, concierge and full service (choices from all restaurants except teppanaki) room service provided...makes for an enjoyable cruise.

Try it if you can, then come on back here and tell us what you think of NCL!!

~Michele

Well....there are several reasons NCL is my favorite cruise line. You can see who I've sailed with in my siggy below.

Freestyle is one.....you can go anywhere, anytime, to eat. You don't have to worry about getting "stuffy dressed" (or you can if Food seems to be much fresher on NCL than on the RCCL, Celebrity and CCL cruises I've taken.

Entertainment on NCL (at least on the Epic, with Blue Man Group, Cirque, Legends, Slam Allen, etc) is a couple of steps above what I've seen on other cruise lines.

Service is always good on all of my cruises. While this is more subjective, I feel NCL employees seem more genuine in their desire to take care of anything we want/need.

As you can see in my signature, we sail different lines all the time. Our most recent was RCCL in March. This December will mark a 1st for us - the 1st time to sail any line 3 times! We love NCL, and when it's a viable option, NCL will be our choice. The crew & officers are friendly and go above & beyond. The food choices are endless. And the top officers show up at the meet & greets and really want to know what you think. If you want to bring formal wear, fine, but you don't have to and no one will look down their nose either way.

We found many activities we enjoyed on NCL, as we too, participate in trivia, name that tune, photo scavenger hunts, etc. but have never attended anything with belly flops or hairy legs :eek:.

If you are entertaining the idea to cruise NCL, I would suggest you look into sailing in a suite if you can. Anything from a penthouse or above. (not a mini-suite) NCL suite passengers really are spoiled, and with the amenities provided for suite customers, has left us very pleased with the product. Priority embarkation, priority tenders, special venue for breakfast and lunch, butler, concierge and full service (choices from all restaurants except teppanaki) room service provided...makes for an enjoyable cruise.

Try it if you can, then come on back here and tell us what you think of NCL!!

~Michele

I will second the "Suite" reason to sail NCL. We have sailed once on NCL, the Star to Bermuda this year in a PHS. It was excellent!!

All the cruise lines seem to have alot in common.

Some differences.

NCL to me resembles RCL or a newer Carnival ship. NCL has IMO the best dinning choises. The cruise price is typically lower than some other lines, so we dinned most nights in specialty resturants and still paid less.

The NCL crowd to Bermuda in august was averaging in low 40's to mid 50's. On RCL in Nov '09 the average age was in low 50's to late 60's. We sailed on the Celebrity Solstice a few years back, by far the oldest crowd we ever sailed with, average age into the 70's. Still we had a great time. Our Holland America 10 day Zuiderdam cruise to Panama had a younger than anticipated crowd, averaging early 50's.

You know, we never have been on a subpar cruise. All our ships were nice (even the dreaded Carnival one! ;)).

To me I thought NCL did a fine job of having plenty of activities, but too, plenty of places to just get away.

Hope this helps.

Archived