The Timeshare model for cruise ships...

ASIWISH

<snip>

So many negatives to the concept IMO but an interesting conversation.

Thanks for starting the thread, Kevin. :)

This question is going over as well as my thread asking "Does anyone think adding a Weight Watchers station in Lido is a good idea?"

I think MAYBE one person thought it was a good idea!!! HAHA!!!

I do like threads that spark interesting dialouge!

This question is going over as well as my thread asking "Does anyone think adding a Weight Watchers station in Lido is a good idea?"

I must have missed that thread LOL!

I think this has been an interesting, thanks for starting it. :)-

..... :D Right along with my pleas for scales in cabin bathrooms!!!! :)

..... :D Right along with my pleas for scales in cabin bathrooms!!!! :)

The scales on board the Amsterdam the last night in the lobby were quite handy for weighing my suitcase numerous times in order to not go over the 50 lbs. It was much appreciated.

As for timeshares, we have been to presentations but don't want to tie ourselves down. We like to keep our options open. We are not opposed to going with another cruise line either. Had a great time on our Med Cruise in June on X - great price, great upgraded cabin and a fantastic time.

we have a small hand held luggage scale we keep in our carryon.

I am referring to a scale to weigh ourselves. (The ones in the gyms are woefully inaccurate and inconsistent.)

I would like for there to be bathroom scales in cabins for those who want one.

Make it on request, perhaps.

Just another view of timeshares: we own Marriott and you aren't locked in to a specific week or month. At one point you could exchange a Marriott week for a week (or more) cruise on HAL or RCCL or other lines. We did it a few times with HAL and it was great. Then, a few years ago, came the change. Now, as another poster indicated, you can turn in a week and get a thousand or so off specific cruises. It was great while it lasted though. margretha

My story is this: I bought an every other year timeshare and paid 25 cents on the dollar for it. I pay in maintainance fees approx. 35% what the cost of a room in Ormand Beach would cost. I not only have a room but a nice balconey living room, kitchen and two bedrooms.

I could easily rent it out for more than twice my maintanance fees are for two years, but have either used it, or exchanged it, once for a resort in California and once for an AI in Cancun.

Furthermore, since it is only approx. 60 miles from my home I can use the facilities (common areas) anytime and get free parking at a location where parking (other than on the beach itself) would be difficult.

I would be careful about buying off of e-bay and other places as many of these for sell for one cent or one dollar owe thousands in back maintanance fees you would be responsible for. I can also use it for a ship credit but it wouldn't be as much as I could get for renting.

Timeshares have gotten a bad rap, not because the idea isn't great, but that some people end up not being able to pay the fees because of economics or they don't realize all of their benefits. It is a good deal if you understand how they work.

<snip>

I would be careful about buying off of e-bay and other places as many of these for sell for one cent or one dollar owe thousands in back maintanance fees you would be responsible for. I can also use it for a ship credit but it wouldn't be as much as I could get for renting.

Timeshares have gotten a bad rap, not because the idea isn't great, but that some people end up not being able to pay the fees because of economics or they don't realize all of their benefits. It is a good deal if you understand how they work.

How can you use it for ship credits?

Archived