Weather/Clothing/Help

I've searched this entire site and can't find any real information on weather, clothing, packing, etc. I know to carry rainwear and a light jacket, as the temperature may drop at night. But, what will the temp be around 6/11? Do I pack for cool weather, warm weather, or both? Since there are restrictions on luggage weight, I hate to carry too many clothes. Some of you very helpful UK folks out there can help. Right now, how are you dressing? 6/11 isn't far away and I'm trying to get clothes together. Any suggestions?

Well I can tell you right now I am still wearing the same clothes as I was in February. Spring has been very cold and dry although during the last week we have had some heavy rainfall. It is very difficult to predict the weather here - even the experts don't know. But, my gut feeling is that by mid June we should be into a much warmer period. We are such a small island that variations are very wide and one day could be so different from the next. I would be a very rich person if I could tell you exactly what's going to happen. If it were me I would dress for summer but bring jumpers and jackets. Hope that helps....

Well I can tell you right now I am still wearing the same clothes as I was in February. Spring has been very cold and dry although during the last week we have had some heavy rainfall. It is very difficult to predict the weather here - even the experts don't know. But, my gut feeling is that by mid June we should be into a much warmer period. We are such a small island that variations are very wide and one day could be so different from the next. I would be a very rich person if I could tell you exactly what's going to happen. If it were me I would dress for summer but bring jumpers and jackets. Hope that helps....

Hi Cheryl, glad to see you posting again! I hope that the weather warms up a bit for our trip in July. I imagine that I'll be chatting with you soon to firm up our travel plans with you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some warmer weather!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Just been so busy these days - posting is now a luxury only when I get time, but I do try and peek as much as possible. Nice to hear from you too!! I can tell you that our 'weather experts' have been predicting that we will get some very high temperatures during July and August, and I for one would welcome it with open arms. I am sure it will be fine for your July trip. We are on our own boat crossing the channel to France and the Channel Islands in July so it's just GOT to be good..... speak soon!! Take care.

Hi Carolyn,

Just been so busy these days - posting is now a luxury only when I get time, but I do try and peek as much as possible. Nice to hear from you too!! I can tell you that our 'weather experts' have been predicting that we will get some very high temperatures during July and August, and I for one would welcome it with open arms. I am sure it will be fine for your July trip. We are on our own boat crossing the channel to France and the Channel Islands in July so it's just GOT to be good..... speak soon!! Take care.

Wow, that's exciting that you have your own boat to cross the channel into France! That's got to be incredibly cool. That's one of the things that I love about Europe, you can drive, (or in this case take your personal boat), into another country so easily. I'm all the way at the southwest end of Florida so unless I want to drive far to get to Mexico or all the way up to Canada, I'm here in the States.

English Rose, I've been to Florida more times than I can even count. Obviously you aren't a history nut - if you are, in Florida you'll find very little "real" history compared to what your country has. My family has to force me to go to Florida EVERY SINGLE YEAR and here I am dying to make this UK trip. Just goes to show, we're never happy with what we have... :-)

English Rose...

Thanks for your advice previously. Now, about trading the boat for a "green card"? Why do you need one? It's not like they enforce the law. Since you speak english, you have the advantage over most. In fact, you might be better off without it. Free healthcare, dental, food. The police are scared of arresting you. It's against the law to ask if you are a citizen. Here in California, you can even vote, not legally, but still possible. SO, come on in and welcome !!!:)....Dennis

Oh sorry for getting off topic.

In the summer, should I plan on rain? I plan to bring warm clothes, per your advice, but I am unsure about rain as it hardly does in my part of the States and I am ill prepared for it....Dennis

Oh sorry for getting off topic.

In the summer, should I plan on rain? I plan to bring warm clothes, per your advice, but I am unsure about rain as it hardly does in my part of the States and I am ill prepared for it....Dennis

Plan for rain! ...hehehe!!!!

I'd recommend you pack a lightweight nylon rain jacket and a lightweight fleece to act as a thermal layer in case it gets cold or windy.

The good thing about both the fleece and the jacket is that the don't weigh much or take up too much space when packing... compared to normal jackets and sweaters.

Alan

Very good advice Alan. The perfect combination for our summer weather!! The fact that we are having this discussion about the weather leads me to the exact reason why I would move to Florida. What would I do.... buy a boat that I could use, enjoy outdoor life, be able to go on the beach without freezing to death, live for half the price it is here in the UK and be able to buy a property double the size, etc, etc, etc.

I have also been to Florida many many times and we do have a timeshare apartment there, but that's just not enough...... I want to go back more than my 90 days visa waiver allows. Sorry off topic again. Back to the British weather - not too bad today, about 18 degrees, tomorrow will be nice in the low 20's, but then back to the teens. This May has been cold... about 12 degrees average which is certainly unseasonal.... I will keep you posted as we progress through the summer.. (Next visit to Florida is October)....

I've been thinking of packing jeans and tennis shoes to wear during the day for our shore excursions. Is this politically correct or should we dress up more with dockers and loafers? I know about layering and am thinking of what we took for our Alaska cruise which was jeans and tennis shoes. Will we stick out like a sore thumb or offend anyone?

I've been thinking of packing jeans and tennis shoes to wear during the day for our shore excursions. Is this politically correct or should we dress up more with dockers and loafers? I know about layering and am thinking of what we took for our Alaska cruise which was jeans and tennis shoes. Will we stick out like a sore thumb or offend anyone?

Quite PC ....we don't have any fashion police here!

:) :) :)

Alan

Hi Carolyn,

Cherl I agree nice to see you on here again. I haven't posted either. Too busy, but now it is 3 weeks until we fly to London and we'll be seeing you 10 days later. Well not you exactly but that would sure be nice. I can layer my clothing but I feel like bringing 3 different jackets and I know I can't. OH well.

:)

TO Alan and Cheryl....

Thank you for the clothing suggestions. I will go out and buy the items for rain and cold. Of course, I will be in trouble with my missus as I told her to get the suntan lotion and a new swimsuit ;).........Dennis

Toto2Kansas, if you want to wear tennis shoes then that is fine, you will see people wearing all sorts of things in Britain and you should wear whatever you are comfortable in.

If anyone says anything tell them I said it was OK. ;)

Nick.

If I don't back off the packing, I'm not going to have room in my suitcase for tennis shoes. Anybody have any extra room in their suitcase - I have a few items I can't get in mine! I read somewhere that the best way to pack for a trip was to take only old clothes that you were tired of. That way, you could throw them away while you were on your trip and you could accomplish 2 things: clean out your closet and make plenty of room for the things you buy while you're there. Anybody mind if I show up in old clothes?

Archived