Santa Chiara versus Hotel Olympia - Venice Italy

Solara

We are thinking of staying at either the Hotel Santa Chiara or the Hotel Olympia. Any opinions as to what would be a better choice? Prices are almost the same. Any 1st hand knowledge on the conditions of the hotel?

Thanks!

We are thinking of staying at either the Hotel Santa Chiara or the Hotel Olympia. Any opinions as to what would be a better choice? Prices are almost the same. Any 1st hand knowledge on the conditions of the hotel?

Thanks!

Can only speak for the Santa Chiara, where I stayed. We were in the annexe, which is about 50 yards from the main hotel. It was very clean and there was plenty of hot water. Went over to the main hotel to use the wi-fi and for breakfast. The staff were extremely helpful. Breakfast was OK, nothing sensational but perfectly adequate, and the location is superb, with no steps to negotiate from the airport bus or People Mover. There is a very brief glimpse of the main hotel at 0.30 in this

If the whole thing had been 5 star I wouldn't have been any happier as Venice is the star of the show, and all we wanted was a decent B & B, which we certainly got. And I'm sure the Olympia is fine too. You won't go wrong with either. All the best, Tony

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more responses. Both hotels are popular with travellers on this forum so there have been lots of reviews and photos posted here. Have you tried doing a search on each hotel?

And you've read thru the reviews on tripadvisor, venere, expedia ? You can usually find common themes in those reviews.

If you can get Santa Chiara main building that would be great. It's right in Piazzale Roma and on the Grand Canal. I didn't stay there, I fell in love with Ca' Doge across the Piazzale, but we did look into the Santa Chiara and liked the looks of it. If I ever return to Venice, it's where I will stay.

Have a great trip!

we stayed at Santa Chiara and our friends at Olympia so got to see both hotels

Santa Chiara was absolutely no steps or bridges to negotiate from P Roma

Olympia there is 1 small bridge with steps to carry bags over

rooms in both hotels are unique ie difficult to know whether you get a good room or not.Our room at Santa Chiara was large with high ceilings and chandeliers and had 4 windows facing onto P Roma and a side canal-trying to remember the room number-it is described in my review linked to the bottom of my post.

Our friends room in Olympia was pretty but much smaller and didnt have much of a view

Santa Chiara was undergoing reconstruction of its garden area in July so we overlooked a building site but should be completed by now

olympia has a very pretty enclosed garden you can sit out for breakfast-which was fine in both hotels

Santa Chiara has a small inside bar area which overlooks the grand canal-good for people watching

Both hotels had a 2 night minimum stay for the time we were there

we stayed at Santa Chiara and our friends at Olympia so got to see both hotels

Santa Chiara was absolutely no steps or bridges to negotiate from P Roma

Olympia there is 1 small bridge with steps to carry bags over

I haven't stayed at either hotel; I've walked by the SChiara a dozen times and visited the olimpia lobby. I think the Santa Chiara and CaDoge are ideal for people with mobility concerns; no bridges, no walking. But was noise a problem at S Chiara? It sits on the edge of the Piazzale Roma. While that's a convenient spot, there's SOOO much vehicle and pedestrian traffic. For that reason the olimpia is more appealing IMHO; a quiet room overlooking the garden. Or even the Arlecchino next door. Did you find the SChiara noisey?

I haven't stayed at either hotel; I've walked by the SChiara a dozen times and visited the olimpia lobby. I think the Santa Chiara and CaDoge are ideal for people with mobility concerns; no bridges, no walking. But was noise a problem at S Chiara? It sits on the edge of the Piazzale Roma. While that's a convenient spot, there's SOOO much vehicle and pedestrian traffic. For that reason the olimpia is more appealing IMHO; a quiet room overlooking the garden. Or even the Arlecchino next door. Did you find the SChiara noisey?

Actually your mention of noise was one of the reasons we chose Olimpia. Alot of reviews of Santa Chiara talk about noise problems if you have a front room. Another was the breakfast at Olimpia seemed better. I will trade quiet and better breakfast for a few minutes walk and a bridge.

Other than that they seemed really similar.

actually the only noise issue we had with S Chiara was the construction work remodelling the patio area-woken at 7-30am Friday by the sound of pneumatic drills![should be finished by now]

during the day and at night we didnt find it noisy due to excessive traffic or people-P Roma isnt a night club/bar area so shouldnt be an issue with late night drunks

We stayed in Hotel Olimpia both before and after our cruise. The first stay we were in their annex, nice sized room for the area. Had all the usual amenities including wifi. Breakfast was filling, tasty, with lots to choose from.

We stayed in the main building on our return and it was about the same except a smaller room. Loved the annex and the walk through the garden.

Bill

There is only 1 bridge to reach the Papadopoli. It's a bigger bridge than the one to olimpia and arlecchino. Maybe 3-4 minutes further to walk.

You can see it clearly on the map below. The blue/white buses in the square are ATVO airport express buses. So you would walk across the square, over the bridge and a short walk past the garden to the hotel entrance. I really enjoyed their garden; all white roses

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/marittima.htm

We stayed in Hotel Olimpia both before and after our cruise. The first stay we were in their annex, nice sized room for the area. Had all the usual amenities including wifi. Breakfast was filling, tasty, with lots to choose from.

We stayed in the main building on our return and it was about the same except a smaller room. Loved the annex and the walk through the garden.

Bill

I'm leaning toward this hotel as it gets better reviews. Just concerned about the bridge. I know it's a small one but how many steps? We are in great shape but just worry about our backs with the luggage.

Thanks!

Archived