Chiuly on the Connie

Mr&MrsBee

We recently visited the Chiuly Exhibition in St Petersburg Fl. In viewing some old photos of the Connie we noticed a orange sculpter hanging from the ceiling. Does anyone know if this is an original or one by his students. Thanks for the info.

The glass sculpture hanging outside the entrance to the Sky Observation Lounge on Constellation is an original Dale Chihuly. There used to be signage to that effect, but in one of the remodelings, that sign disappeared. But it is a magnificent piece -- I'll miss it and lots of the other artwork on board when I no longer sail on Connie in the future....

The glass sculpture hanging outside the entrance to the Sky Observation Lounge on Constellation is an original Dale Chihuly. There used to be signage to that effect, but in one of the remodelings, that sign disappeared. But it is a magnificent piece -- I'll miss it and lots of the other artwork on board when I no longer sail on Connie in the future....

I've been a fan of his glass works for over 30 years. I remember seeing his glass pieces in the Seattle art galleries in the late 1970s. Last month I went to his new garden and glass museum . It was fantastic. Richard

http://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/

Just to echo the other comments. The art-work on Connie is an original Chihuly that we were fortunate enough to see while on a transatlantic cruise. Also, we saw a fantastic exhibition a while back at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, AZ. I understand that one of his works is still there.

And the answer is -

Do you mean did he design and approve of the final product - probably yes.

Did he actually blow the glass for it - a resounding NO. Dale no longer blows glass, but does do the designs, quality control and sometimes the set-up.

Some years ago (I have no idea how long ago it was but over 7 yrs) he was injured in an accident and lost the use of one of his eyes. Since then he only designs, supervises his production staff and students and sometimes the actual installation crew. However, he definitely is the creative inspiration behind the works with his name.

It the real McCoy, I took a picture but I really like the Flickr picture better. It really is a lovely piece of work, however I am a bit surprised about its relatively obscure location.

Might be to portect the work. Think of the bozos who might try to break pieces off. Of course they would be caught (cameras in all public areas) but it would be too late to save the damage.

His work in the British Museum is breath taking!

It is also in a great spot for viewing from all around, and for seeing lit up at night from the outside. So much interesting artwork on the M-class ships is hung in relatively obscure locations -- the self-guided art tours are very interesting to follow. It's really quite an impressive art collection.

His installation in the Bellagio lobby is a show stopper. I don't care how many times you pass through that lobby you just have to look up and admire the artistry and creativity. I have taken many photos but none do justice to viewing the installation in person!

Debbie

Might be to portect the work. Think of the bozos who might try to break pieces off. Of course they would be caught (cameras in all public areas) but it would be too late to save the damage.

Interesting thought and it could be exactly that. However, if you weren't looking you would miss it, I came upon it quite by chance and just thought ...WOW. It just seems a shame to hide such a lovely piece of art.

I wonder where the glass sculpture will be once Connie has been remodelled on deck11.

I preferred the original colour curved sofa rather than the beige upholstery it is now, it made such a statement with the bold sofa.

I've been a fan of his glass works for over 30 years. I remember seeing his glass pieces in the Seattle art galleries in the late 1970s. Last month I went to his new garden and glass museum . It was fantastic. Richard

http://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/

We went to see this exhibit in May, the week it opened. It was soooooo amazing!!! I have also been a HUGE fan for many years. I thought I knew what to expect in the garden and glass exhibit, but it was so much more than I expected. I really recommend this to anyone who is spending more than a couple of hours in Seattle.

Archived