Celebrating Birthday in Singapore

calgal729

We're celebrating DH's birthday on our cruise, when we're in Singapore (overnight) and I'd like to plan something special, because after all, he did agree to take me on this wonderful cruise :) I was going to make reservations at one of the specialty restaurants, but we'd really rather eat at those a little further into the cruise, so I thought about going into Singapore that nite for dinner. The ship (Millenium) has an excursion "Singapore Night at a Glance" which sounds kind of nice, but doesnt include dinner.

Any suggestions from anyone who has been to Singapore before, or heard of anything fun, different to do in Singapore at night? I would prefer something that includes dinner.

Thanks!

Go to the Satay Club...really traditional Satays...beef...chicken and prawn..open air and jugs of beer for $5.00...what Singapore was..and is still the best...really cheap and fanatstic fun...not posh...but go there and then head to the raffles after for a very expensive Singapore Sling...so much fun:D

Thanks, that does sound like fun, and something DH would really enjoy.

Trust me you will love it...its still has an original open air Victoriana style open air building...the Satay boys will come and try and coerce you to eat at their stall...all the food is great we ate 40 satays between the two of us...they are small but amazing and eaten with great gusto...and enjoyed with a lovely cold jug of Tiger beer....can't beat it:D

Also start at the Swiss hotel on the 70th floor at the Asia Bar...grab one drink and watch the sun set....amazing views and will give you a real feel for Singapores size..then satays...then Raffles....I hope you will love it:D

Oh catch the taxis in between they are so cheap and the drivers are great:D

• 2 weeks later...

The old Satay Club is no longer there - and hasn't been for some time. The building you are describing sounds a lot like Lau pa Sat lanikeekee. Do you have a photo?

Calgal: do you want fine dining or local dining? Singapore has mounds of both and everything in between. Eating is the national pastime - sound would say the only pastime :p

The old Satay Club is no longer there - and hasn't been for some time. The building you are describing sounds a lot like Lau pa Sat lanikeekee. Do you have a photo?

Calgal: do you want fine dining or local dining? Singapore has mounds of both and everything in between. Eating is the national pastime - sound would say the only pastime :p

Yes you are correct Calgal it is Lau pa Sat...but they still have the Satay Club sign up :)

We're celebrating DH's birthday on our cruise, when we're in Singapore (overnight) and I'd like to plan something special, because after all, he did agree to take me on this wonderful cruise :) I was going to make reservations at one of the specialty restaurants, but we'd really rather eat at those a little further into the cruise, so I thought about going into Singapore that nite for dinner. The ship (Millenium) has an excursion "Singapore Night at a Glance" which sounds kind of nice, but doesnt include dinner.

Any suggestions from anyone who has been to Singapore before, or heard of anything fun, different to do in Singapore at night? I would prefer something that includes dinner.

Thanks!

I am a Singaporean, living in Singapore.

How many hours do you have and what's your budget?

Also, what does he like or dislike?

Thanks!

Anything here that interests you?

http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/eat/top-10-eats-singapore-156458

http://www.marinabaysands.com/Singapore-Restaurants/SkyPark-Dining-Venues/

These are the restaurants at the MBS Skypark with a wonderful view.

If your budget permits, I'd strongly recommend Ku De Ta or Sky on 57. You can find their menus on the link above with prices.

Since it is his birthday, just DO IT!

PS: The lunch menus at Ku De Ta and Sky on 57 are much easier on the wallet as compared to dinner. If budget is an issue and you still want to go up to the Skypark to get a view, you may want to try to make it for lunch instead.

• 2 weeks later...

hi lahore,

we're Melbournians (near LaTrobe Uni) and love to chat next time you're home! About SE Asia & cruising. Earlier this year we were crusing the Amazon; in a few weeks we're sailing from Singa to HK; next year it's Sth America again. cheers, Marianne

Hi Marianne

We're just about to go back to Malaysia on Sunday, so it will have to be online chats until next year :D. We are cruising from Singapore to Bali on Seabourn in a few weeks; our first time on Seabourn so we're looking forward to that. I have always been interested to do the Amazon so would be REALLY keen to hear about that. Have a great trip Sing to HKG. It will be getting cool in HKG, you know that don't you? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I have to put my vote in for dinner on the Singapore Flyer. We did it last time we were there and will do it again probably in January. They have lovely silver service, linen tableclothes etc, and a beautiful meal for you to enjoy as you do two slow rotations on the flyer, enjoying the marvellous views as you eat. It is just the best, and so unique. But definitely take the earlier advice and pop in to the Raffles on the way for a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar. Have a great time.:)

Archived