What's the most weight you have ever gained on a cruise?

lisa431965

I purchased a small bathroom scale online and bring it with me on any trip longer than a weekend (I like to weigh daily). In the box it is around 12" x 7" x 1". Pack it in my checked bag between layers. I know it weighs differently than my bathroom scale at home so I just take that into account. Kept us both on track on 13 day cruise and land trip this spring.

:o I bought one, too, but haven't actually packed and taken it with us yet. I found it on Amazon and it was a fair price.

It actually doesn't weigh that much or take much room in the suitcase.

Not that it's anything to brag about, but I'm menopausal as well and I still don't gain weight all that easily. I'm no skinny minnie by any means, but I don't gain weight just by eating a few extra calories with dessert each night. I don't clean my plate and eat every morsel that I'm served, I keep my hand out of the bread basket. leave off most of the salad dressing and drink only water with meals, a glass or two of wine with dinner. Just like I do at home.

I happen to think that it can be a cruel thing to do to yourself, weighing in every single day.

I wonder how many people enjoy several of the foo-foo drinks by the pool each day...those are filled with empty calories. I don't drink those (can't stand sticky sweet) but I'd think they have to have at least a couple hundred calories in them. Soft drinks can add up the calories quickly and people buy those soda stickers so they can have unlimited quantities. I suppose I'm lucky that I don't like carbonated beverages. Even diet soft drinks can make people gain weight, besides tasting gross.

An inaccurate scale in the gym shouldn't be a problem. Weigh yourself early on the cruise, and use the numbers as a reference. If you weigh 150 at home and 140 on the ship's scale, you don't think you've lost 10 pounds in transit. Just use the scale as something to measure against: if you weighed 140 on the first day and 145 on day 7 (at the same time of day), you've gained 5 pounds, no matter what the numbers are!

We find that we eat "bigger" if we go to the MDR for all meals. It's easier for us to eat "just enough" in the buffet for breakfast and lunch. For other people, it's the reverse - all the choices create too many things on the plate. You have to figure out what works for you.

I like to eat on the cruise and not deny myself things since it's a vacation - so I make sure I eat healthy most of the time and that way when the cruise or another vacation comes around - I can splurge a little. I have learned to work out everyday on the cruise too and that definitely helps so I've never gained weight on a cruise thankfully.

In 2006, I gained 13 pounds in 16 days, but I lost 7lbs very quickly after it was over (water weight, maybe?). Our last cruise I lost about 20 pounds on a 25 day cruise + one week on land. I only had one pair of pants by the end of the trip that wasn't falling off me:D. I like that much better than the 2006 cruise, where I only had one pair I could wear.:o

From a USA article:

About half of women say they would rather go without sex for the summer than gain 10 pounds. A fourth of men feel the same way.

More people say they would rather shed 10 to 20 pounds during the summer than get promoted at work.

Another poll conducted a few years ago for Fitness magazine found more than half of Americans say they'd rather lose their jobs than get fat.

Three-quarters of both men and women would have been willing to give up something — such as watching TV, shopping, using a cellphone or computer for the summer — for a flat tummy.

• 7 months later...

My first cruise was 116 days around the world on Holland America.There were lots of formal nights in 1997. My tux kept getting tighter n tighter.

The night before entering Hong Kong was formal but I had to go to the

buffet because my good clothes just would'nt fit.

My thought was; I PAID for it-I'm gonna EAT it! result 31 days n 31lbs.

Luckily the Stanley Market in Hong Kong was famous for inexpensive clothing. I went shopping!!!

When we left H.K. I started a 5 mile a day walk on the prominade deck

lots of time in the gym and steam room no elevators and sensible eating

I was back to original weight by the time we arrived home.

Holland America ships have an accurate scale in the infirmary that the nurse will let you use if you smile. Then travel about 10 decks up to the SPA and compare wts. Their scales are accurate when in port

Unfortunately, I think eating an extra 2-3 thousand calories a day on a cruise is easily possible. Just think what is available, practically 24 hours a day, that is not, at home; Unlimited buffets, lido food, ice cream, snacks, room service, 4 or 5 course dinners, often very salty food, many high calorie items, etc.

And that's not even counting drinks--I don't drink, normally, but a couple of cocktails, a few beers, a glass or two of wine, etc., will add up quickly, on top of the food.

Archived