Need advice on switching cabins thru Celebrity

bottomfeeder

My situation is this: I booked my cruise directly through Celebrity. I'm in a C3 and my billing info shows I paid $1758 (before taxes etc.) as a solo passenger in my cabin. Final payment has passed.

Today all sources (Celebrity site, Travelocity, etc.) show that there is one C1 cabin left on this sailing, with a Florida resident rate of $1658.

I did not book using a Florida resident rate to begin with, but I am in process of moving to Florida and will be a Florida resident with appropriate documentation prior to the cruise start date.

I called Celebrity and asked if I could switch to the C1 cabin. I was told by the rep that the rate showing for that cabin was $2658 (which is the non-resident rate that shows, I checked) and that the amount I paid for my C3 cabin was $1518. I said my records showed I had paid $1758 and she said something about commissionable rate...

I told her I was seeing a FL resident rate as a solo of $1658 but she said that was not the case.

What should I do? Call back and hope I get another rep who can "see" the same rate I am seeing?

Or am I out of luck since I did not book my original cabin using a FL resident rate, and I am therefore not eligible for a FL resident rate on the "new" cabin?

(And yes, "book through a good travel agent" is great advice, but won't help me on this one!) :)

[quote name='Alg63']But you're not a FL resident..?[/QUOTE]

I will be when the cruise happens. And the info on it says I need to provide appropriate documentation of residency at the pier. Doesn't say I need to provide it now. And the rep I spoke to at Celebrity didn't say anything about the fact that I'm not yet a resident being the issue, she just said the FL resident rate I was seeing did not exist on her computer.

Remember cruise prices change just like air pricing.Capacity controlled. I usually find X prices go back up at last moment. Also find lower prices thru discount cruise agencies, often with group rates. There is a group on this TA. Heard 400 of us on it.(Economies of scale I guess.) I am at the girls table, drop by and see us.I like to do Muranos(read you were looking for dining companions). Petite, F, red hair.

[quote name='zoncom']Remember cruise prices change just like air pricing.Capacity controlled. I usually find X prices go back up at last moment. Also find lower prices thru discount cruise agencies, often with group rates. There is a group on this TA. Heard 400 of us on it.(Economies of scale I guess.) I am at the girls table, drop by and see us.I like to do Muranos(read you were looking for dining companions). Petite, F, red hair.[/QUOTE]

I was going to try to bring it up at the Cruise Critic Connections event, because I didn't get much response when I posted on our roll call. Hopefully we can get a group together for it! I also want to meet some of the other solos just for purposes of having folks to hang out with during the cruise--I have select dining so I can't join the girls' table! :)

I'll maybe ask about where you are located in the MDR one of the first nights so I can come over and talk to you all, if I don't connect with your group during the CC party. I'm getting so excited about the cruise! And I'm not really too concerned about changing cabins, I'm happy with the one I've got, that C1 just looked like it was one with a large balcony which would have been nice. Checked a few minutes ago and it wasn't showing as available anymore so I would guess someone grabbed it.

[quote name='neverbeenhere']coming soon!!!;)[/QUOTE]

Too funny! I don't think that was her intention--and if it was, she'll probably be sad to find out that a) I'm a female too, or b) that I don't swing that way...not that there's anything wrong with it of course! :)

I would call back and ask about the FL resident rate. Don't mention that you aren't currently a resident. You just have to be able to prove it at the pier if asked. If you can't prove it then, you will have some issues...but you don't seem to think it will be a problem to have the documentation by then.

One other thing...Celebrity doesn't usually allow rate reductions after final payment so if you are able to get the higher category at the lower rate, your "refund" will likely be in the form of onboard credit.

Hope that helps.

Soccer Mom

Be as nice as possible
Because final payment date has passed they are under no obligation to offer you anything or do anything, because they have met the terms of the contract that you both agreed to when you booked.

Best chance would be as nice as you possibly can, and hopefully you get an understanding rep that knows keeping customers happy is their job, you might get lucky, usually they do try and be as accomodating as they can.

And make sure you bring a government issued photo id showing proof of residency, because you will need it. It is something they do verify before boarding

[quote name='johhnnyt']Be as nice as possible
Because final payment date has passed they are under no obligation to offer you anything or do anything, because they have met the terms of the contract that you both agreed to when you booked.

Best chance would be as nice as you possibly can, and hopefully you get an understanding rep that knows keeping customers happy is their job, you might get lucky, usually they do try and be as accomodating as they can.

And make sure you bring a government issued photo id showing proof of residency, because you will need it. It is something they do verify before boarding[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm always super nice. It's my job--no really, whenever people ask me to describe my job that's about what I boil it down to: being nice and sympathetic and trying to keep people happy with the product I work with. :)

I've given up on this idea though; last I checked the cabin in question was no longer showing as available, and since I don't have my FL license YET it's probably a good idea not to book using a FL rate now. Just in case for some reason I am not able to get a FL license by the date of the cruise.

I understood from what I'd been reading here, though, that if you pay the difference between what you originally paid for your cabin and the current cost of the new cabin, that even after final payment you could generally get an upgrade. Since the price difference in this case was negative, I would think they would let me upgrade at no additional fee.

I guess like many things involving Celebrity's customer service reps, it all depends on who you talk to and what their spouse said to them at breakfast that day and the phase of the moon etc.! Ah well, I know I got a pretty good deal on my cabin anyhow because I haven't seen the price lower than I paid (until I spotted this deal today on the C1.) And I'm not that tall so I don't need an extra-long balcony I guess!

Archived