Noordam evacuation and Sandy

mountainmare

We heard on the Philadephia news the other night that there was a medical evacuation at sea off the coast of Cape May from the Noordam. With Sandy barreling up the coast I was wondering if the Noordam was on a repo cruise making her way down to Ft Everglades.

What does the Captain do when facing a huge storm blocking the way? Does he go out to sea to go around, but in this case Sandy is HUGE. Does he just go through? Just got me wondering.

Eurodam is now docked in Jacksonville and will bus passengers to and from Ft. Lauderdale. What a mess. Several passengers were sea sick. Not sure if that was the medical emergency.

Eileen ( live here near Jacksonville)

Watch the video. It's amazing to see the great work by U.S. Coast Guard rescue team and Captain of the Eurodam handling the ship to successfully evacuate that guest.

It was not a case of 'seasick' that had them evacuated. :)

Only something far more serious would weigh the risk vs the need for such an exercise.

The Eurodam's Captain Darin Bowlin (my apologies if I have completely misspelled his name) is well experienced with bad weather! We were on the Amsterdam - NY cruise that had all the trouble with hurricanes. Captain Darin provided daily televised updates with JC the cruise director that were in-depth, very informative, and good humored. I've never had much of an opinion of our captain in the past (Point A to Point B safely, good job), but I will always have good memories of Captain Darin and the Mighty E.

Sorry for the confusion--the TV reporter really messed up the name and I heard it as

NO- OR - DAM and thought it was the Noordam, it really didn't sound even close to Eurodam.

The media just can't keep their DAM ships straight.

The Eurodam's Captain Darin Bowlin (my apologies if I have completely misspelled his name) is well experienced with bad weather! We were on the Amsterdam - NY cruise that had all the trouble with hurricanes. Captain Darin provided daily televised updates with JC the cruise director that were in-depth, very informative, and good humored. I've never had much of an opinion of our captain in the past (Point A to Point B safely, good job), but I will always have good memories of Captain Darin and the Mighty E.

Capt. Darin Bowland, HAL's only Canadian captain ;)

Archived