Leaving tomorrow on Explorer

kaykels

We had 20-30 ft seas during our Bermuda cruise a couple weeks ago. Only lasted about 12 hours. Since the storm is coming inland, the ship should be in great sunshine tomorrow afternoon.

Let us know if you are sitting poolside passing Bermuda!

I don't understand why Jewel of the Seas has been grounded in Boston until Tuesday. The storm has barely started here. They could have easily gotten far east of the storm before midnight. I would be upset hearing that ships left NY and if I was stuck in Boston for 2 days.

We are on our way. Feeling a little sway but had worse.

Live on Explorer. We did make it under the bridge very quickly and we even had to stop for a freighter to pass in front of us. Lightly rocky sailing right now and we'll see what happens. They are taking us on a route out and around to the south of Bermuda. The captain said we will be going about 200 nautical miles extra for our safely.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the updates.

Keep 'em coming!

:)

On AIS it looks like both the Explorer and Norwegian Jewel are headed due south. That seems to confirm the above report, and the captains know what they are doing.

We were on the Freedom in Oct 2011 when we hit 30ft seas and nearly 100mph winds - and that was not fun at all. But the ships are built to take that kind of weather, so I am sure some passengers will be sick and scared, but they should be safe.

Weather Channel said ships are safer going out to sea than being at the pier during a storm because banging against the pier can damage the pier and the ship and means more motion for the passengers.

I enjoy the rough seas because I don't get seasick, but if I was nervous, I would take a pill and get a good night's sleep. By morning, you could be awaken with sunshine out in the gulfstream north of Bermuda.

Better than being stuck in Boston on a ship for 3 days of cold rain and wind.

Huh we were a few seconds away from booking this very cruise about a month or so ago. Boy am I glad we didn't. I never get seasick but this might have broken that streak. I know the ship is strong, and I know the captain is great, and i know RCCL doesn't want anything happening to their ship but I'd still be just a bit freaked out by all this.

capt olav will keep them safe....they may miss a day in bermuda but they will be safe....

hope everyone takes all precautions in this storm.

On a side note Jim Cantore was right....Mayor should have started evacs early when there was transit to move these people...just saying.

he better keep them safe. half my family is on that ship.

on another note... drove from CT/MA border back home to philly-area, and there was zero traffic from NYC all the way south on 95 to the PA turnpike... it was unbelievable... there should be hurricanes more often, then those of us who want to travel can do it quickly.

From the Weather Channel:

"A buoy between North Carolina and Bermuda measured significant wave heights of ~40' Sunday evening. Sandy is so large that there is even a tropical storm warning in effect in Bermuda, and the Bermuda Weather Service is forecasting wave heights outside the reef as high as 25'."

I've been on a ship in high seas and it was not pleasant. Was actually stupid enough to get my hair done during the height of the storm...it was one of the worst haircuts I ever got;)

I don't care how talented the captain is, the folks on the ship are in for a nasty, dangerous few days.

Archived