End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

Great post BKFlower, and if course my opinion of your great post has nothing to do with me agreeing with it....hehehe.

One other point. I'm not really tracking why it matters if a week or so before the cruise Celebrity would somehow send out an email or such to say the Elite events will be modified, and why.

First, I don't see how it matters for us kyo know prior. It's not part of some contractural requirement and except for a few posters here who say they are dropping their cruises over this, yeah right, it doesn't impact anything anyone needs to plan for.

Another issue with Cekebrity telling us every little thing is, they are not interested in telling all their competors info that could show how they do business. We don't really need to know how many Elites require them to move to a voucher. What does it matter to us?

Some posters seem to be saying Cekxbrity has go explain all their changes and decisions as if we have done play in it. We don't. They gun the business. We lie it we cruise with them. We don't we go elsewhere. And I bet they don't really track it that close and probably look at the numbers right before we sail and the Host has a list of options depending on the number.

I'll somehow survive using coupon drinks. And I'll somehow figure out how to meet up with new friends, where I use those coupons and have a great time without finding some lame excuse to get all upset over taking a vacation.

But then I'm trying to enjoy myself not run some business I know little about even though I cruise a lot. Watching the World Series doesn't make me a major leaguer.

Den

It wasn't about "where to get a free drink". It was about "where to get together all Elites". How about Senior Officers party (or whatever the name of this social event is)? If the SL can't hold so many Elite cruisers, then how are they going to accommodate Elite and Select at the same time in the same lounge? Are they going to deliver the pictures of the senior officers to your stateroom or run a TV show on one of the ship's channels?

Does it really matter where (or how) we meet them?

i have found the officers party for elite and select much more crowded and hectic than the evening event. i never attempt to eat anything there and drink very little.

Great post BKFlower, and if course my opinion of your great post has nothing to do with me agreeing with it....hehehe.

One other point. I'm not really tracking why it matters if a week or so before the cruise Celebrity would somehow send out an email or such to say the Elite events will be modified, and why.

First, I don't see how it matters for us kyo know prior. It's not part of some contractural requirement and except for a few posters here who say they are dropping their cruises over this, yeah right, it doesn't impact anything anyone needs to plan for.

Another issue with Cekebrity telling us every little thing is, they are not interested in telling all their competors info that could show how they do business. We don't really need to know how many Elites require them to move to a voucher. What does it matter to us?

Some posters seem to be saying Cekxbrity has go explain all their changes and decisions as if we have done play in it. We don't. They gun the business. We lie it we cruise with them. We don't we go elsewhere. And I bet they don't really track it that close and probably look at the numbers right before we sail and the Host has a list of options depending on the number.

I'll somehow survive using coupon drinks. And I'll somehow figure out how to meet up with new friends, where I use those coupons and have a great time without finding some lame excuse to get all upset over taking a vacation.

But then I'm trying to enjoy myself not run some business I know little about even though I cruise a lot. Watching the World Series doesn't make me a major leaguer.

Den

If you really think that you're going to have trouble living with the chits, you can always slide your reservation over my way. I'm sure that I can get fake ID's and pass as Den from Shalimar!!

With all the hullabaloo on here, if I were Bayley, I would strongly consider biting the bullet and make the changes to Captain's Club that I saw necessary.

This thread has become something that has began to condition Elites for a change.

I guess I just don't understand. People would actually contemplate "deciding if they wanted to stay with their bookings" because the option to squeeze into a room with maybe 800-1000 other people and maybe be able to find a server that would bring them a couple of free drinks has been changed because the venue can't hold that many people?:confused: Is that what some people are actually basing their cruise decisions on?

I don't know why this surprises you, looks like you've done a lot of cruises. I've already seen all the ports, been on most of the ships. There are many TA choices each spring and fall, and for me it comes down to little things, such as food quality, a covered pool if possible, and nightlife, which for us includes the Elite party and probablity of good bands for ballroom dancing. Is this any different than choosing based on a cabin type availability, where I've read from people swooning over the type of shower head?

I don't know why this surprises you, looks like you've done a lot of cruises. I've already seen all the ports, been on most of the ships. There are many TA choices each spring and fall, and for me it comes down to little things, such as food quality, a covered pool if possible, and nightlife, which for us includes the Elite party and probablity of good bands for ballroom dancing. Is this any different than choosing based on a cabin type availability, where I've read from people swooning over the type of shower head?

I also enjoy the Elite party. On the Infinity SA B2B there wasn't that many of us. Too many for Michael's but only took up the starboard side of the Lounge. 100, 150 maybe. Even then I didn't attend every night. But if I was on a cruise with 800-1000 there is no way it would be the same:eek: Wouldn't even go - just bedlam. There has to be an alternative when there are that many Elites.

But Elites might not be as responsible as they think for driving profit. Profit comes from the suite guests, those who pay full price for their cabins, buy lots of excursions, order a lot of drinks, eat in the specialties, and gamble. Some of these profit drivers are undoubtedly elites, but I'm guessing that many elites don't drive a lot of profit.

Celebrity doesn't look at elite benefits as a reward for loyalty. Instead, they are just inexpensive marketing costs. They make you more likely to book a Celebrity cruise. If the marketing costs become too expensive for what they're attracting, then they'll change. Many of us (I'm here too) better hope that Celebrity doesn't get more sophisticated about how it tracks profit from guests. I do forsee a time where Celebrity's rewards program will become more sophisticated and be able to individually reward customers who drive profit. Elite will mean something entirely different then.

Also, as a mildly interested observer (I will have 8 points after my upcoming Reflection crossing), and a former marketing person, this is the MOST PROFOUND and TRUTHFUL post on the entire thread (excuse me for editing for brevity because your entire post was perfect).

Thanks for sharing your insight, BKFlowerMound. I hope we can both hurry and get to that Elite status so we can share a FREE drink or two on Celebrity together and discuss such matters. ;)

I am so disappointed to read that we might lose the Elite Cocktail Hour in the Michaels Club. We always enjoyed going there, not just for the free drinks but for meeting the great people we have made friends with over the years. And who is calling these "free drinks?" We paid for these "free drinks" with our numerous years of cruising with Celebrity. I also can't believe the morons on this thread who are just questioning whether they can leave the venue with their drink. Is that really important???? Those people I don't want to meet up with in the Michaels Club during Elite Hour.

Den

I must need those cocktails to understand THIS post!

[/b]

Also, as a mildly interested observer (I will have 8 points after my upcoming Reflection crossing), and a former marketing person, this is the MOST PROFOUND and TRUTHFUL post on the entire thread (excuse me for editing for brevity because your entire post was perfect).

Thanks for sharing your insight, BKFlowerMound. I hope we can both hurry and get to that Elite status so we can share a FREE drink or two on Celebrity together and discuss such matters. ;)

Dont worry about that by the time you get to 10 it will be 14! The new 10 is 14.

I don't attend the parties, to get dressed at 4 in the afternoon so as to get a couple of free (prepaid) drinks just makes no sense to me. And yes, I have seen people line up before 5pm. I think there is a small % of people who enjoy the social and some who who think they are important, but the rest are there for the booze(cocktails). I'm just sayin.;)

One or two coupons is not a comparable value to two hours of cocktails - period. If that happens to me on our upcoming cruise I will not be happy. We consider the cost of that benefit when calculating whether we can afford a particular cruise. For the three of us, that benefit can be worth upwards of several hundred dollars or more depending if we attend all events. That's alot of unexpected money out of pocket if suddenly the party is no longer and one drink per day (or is it two?) takes its place!

I am so disappointed to read that we might lose the Elite Cocktail Hour in the Michaels Club. We always enjoyed going there, not just for the free drinks but for meeting the great people we have made friends with over the years. And who is calling these "free drinks?" We paid for these "free drinks" with our numerous years of cruising with Celebrity. I also can't believe the morons on this thread who are just questioning whether they can leave the venue with their drink. Is that really important???? Those people I don't want to meet up with in the Michaels Club during Elite Hour.

And I don't want to be in a lounge where one Elite refers to other Elites as morons. I'd pick up my drink and leave too.

It's been a long time since I have been on a cruise when there was so few Elite's they could hold the Cocktail Hour in Michael's Club.

It's been a long time since I have been on a cruise when there was so few Elite's they could hold the Cocktail Hour in Michael's Club.

i only did that once in alaska.. i only made it twice as i came back for a massage.

Century, this past May-June Alaska.... 36 Elites...:)

Suite guests were added I think.... MC was a tad empty actually. :(

This thread has gotten crazy... As an elite who enjoys the cocktail parties here are my observations:

1) There are nights when having the coupons instead of the party could come in handy... For instance, if it is nice out and I want to enjoy a cocktail by the pool. Or if I don't want to get dressed up hours before dinner to go get a drink.

2) There are nights when I will miss it. I like meeting people in the parties and the atmosphere generally at the parties.

3) Each person cruises for different reasons: Some point like the ports, some would be fine to never get off in a port, some people like the MDR food, some people like the buffet food... There are thousands of reasons I could come up with as to why someone may select a cruise, so I am not going to assume that I know what is important to every cruiser. If the elite party is something that is important to you and worth switching cruises over, go for it. It is not worth switching for me but maybe for you.

4) The majority of this thread is based on speculation, if you are going to cancel based on speculation, I would say at least wait until there is some confirmation.

This thread has gotten crazy... As an elite who enjoys the cocktail parties here are my observations:

1) There are nights when having the coupons instead of the party could come in handy... For instance, if it is nice out and I want to enjoy a cocktail by the pool. Or if I don't want to get dressed up hours before dinner to go get a drink.

2) There are nights when I will miss it. I like meeting people in the parties and the atmosphere generally at the parties.

3) Each person cruises for different reasons: Some point like the ports, some would be fine to never get off in a port, some people like the MDR food, some people like the buffet food... There are thousands of reasons I could come up with as to why someone may select a cruise, so I am not going to assume that I know what is important to every cruiser. If the elite party is something that is important to you and worth switching cruises over, go for it. It is not worth switching for me but maybe for you.

4) The majority of this thread is based on speculation, if you are going to cancel based on speculation, I would say at least wait until there is some confirmation.

Thats what the royal Caribbean posts said last year when the diamond member perks were cancelled. Join the lemming line.

Thats what the royal Caribbean posts said last year when the diamond member perks were cancelled. Join the lemming line.

I will happily "join the lemming line" if that means being optimistic about something I like. Of course, if they give me 1,2,3, or 0 drink coupons in exchange of the elite party, I will still be happily cruising aboard Celebrity.

Archived