End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

Wait... so being able to take wine to dinner with you is a super plus to this new system. Before we couldn't take it out of the room, but I guess they wouldn't have a way to police that when the Elites are out in the wild.

I'm not sure why they'd care who uses the coupons (I.E., if I drink 3 drinks or 2 and someone else drinks 1). I bet, though, that they get better at checking the cruise cards. Still, being able to get a drink and take it with you is a definitely plus for the new system.

Tom

You could always take wine out of the room.....just head to dinner at 7:15/7:30 :). Aqua/select is a great choice....

It would make more sense if the coupons were not restricted to a time period. That way people wouldn't feel rushed to all go to the bars at once. It could be that the other bars will be really crowded because people feeling like they *need* to use the vouchers really quickly. At the party, I never felt compelled to drink more than one (maybe two) drinks. Now I'm going to feel like if I don't drink all three I'm wasting something :)

Tom

Why would you need to drink more than you might at the Elite Happy Hour? In the dining room, do you order an entree you have no desire to eat becasue it is offered?

M

If not' date=' it could be very awkward when your friend sees you "pay" with your coupon.[/quote']

You hand the bartender a voucher and your friend hands him his seapass. Not awkward to me. It's just like going to the bar with someone who has the drink package. You have nothing to sign, and he has to sign a slip. Is that awkward? :eek:

You hand the bartender a voucher and your friend hands him his seapass. Not awkward to me. It's just like going to the bar with someone who has the drink package. You have nothing to sign, and he has to sign a slip. Is that awkward? :eek:

Wine-o, what is awkward is that the coupon is free and the wine package isn't. I know certain people who will ask me about the coupon and I know they will want one too!

I am not referring to pax you meet on the ship. I mean people with whom you are travelling.

When we used to buy the Entertainment Book, if one couple could use it in a restaurant and the other couldn't, we would share the discount.

Wine-o' date=' what is awkward is that the coupon is free and the wine package isn't. I know certain people who will ask me about the coupon and I know they will want one too!

I am not referring to pax you meet on the ship. I mean people with whom you are travelling.

When we used to buy the Entertainment Book, if one couple could use it in a restaurant and the other couldn't, we would share the discount.[/quote']

All they have to do to get one is take enough cruises to qualify. If you get a birthday present do the others with you have to get one too, even if it's not their birthday?

No... I think it's mostly the coupon thing. It makes it more, in my opinion, like you're wasting something if you don't use it. Why not just allow Elites to use their room card to get drinks during those times? That would save printing a bunch of coupons.

Tom

Why would you need to drink more than you might at the Elite Happy Hour? In the dining room, do you order an entree you have no desire to eat becasue it is offered?

M

Now, with 5 days notice.... Reflection too!

Dear Sussex Cruiser:

We look forward to welcoming you on Celebrity ReflectionSM on her transatlantic voyage. We want to let you know that, due to the extraordinary popularity of this sailing with our Elite members, during the Captain's Club Lounge social hour we'll be offering you the choice to enjoy your evening cocktails at various bars and lounges throughout the ship. This will allow us to continue to provide you with the highest quality service while allowing you the opportunity to experience each venue's unique ambience.

On your upcoming transatlantic cruise, you'll receive three (3) Elite Beverage Vouchers for each evening. The days and hours of your Captain's Club Lounge remain the same, so you'll be sure to find fellow Elites out enjoying their social hour in the various venues. And, your menu choices for your Elite social hour remain the same, as well.

In the past, when we've had more Elite members than can comfortably occupy Michael's Club, we've moved the Captain's Club Lounge to the Sky Lounge. On rare occasions when even the Sky Lounge cannot accommodate all our Elite Members, we've implemented the voucher system for our members to enjoy the Captain's Club Lounge in various venues. In order to continue to provide you with the highest level of service, we would appreciate your feedback at CaptainsClub@celebrity.com.

We look forward to making your cruise an enjoyable one and hope you enjoy exploring the exciting venues we have on board Celebrity Reflection.

Certainly there was no question in my mind about the Reflection TA where the sky lounge is smaller than on the other ships. All TA's have large numbers of captain's club elites.

Having now lived through the "experiment" voyage personally, the coupons do work....they work better if you are select/aqua or late seating because getting a seat at 5 is still a problem, even with more bars. I recommend getting to your venue of choice at about 5:55pm when the early dining folks leave. As they leave, they will likely offer you unused coupons as well, should you want more....and you might so you can take a glass of wine to dinner with you when you leave.

Practically speaking, you have michaels club (or is that now a beer pub on the reflection), the large lounge on 5 outside the specialty restaurants and the sky lounge to choose from. The martini and molecular bars are not included. Of course you can drink at one of the outside bars depending on the weather which in our case was cool and damp for the first part of the cruise.

Also be warned that the elite meet the captain event sort of at lunch time won't have food...only desserts. That's a change as well which they don't mention...and there are no hors d'ouvers at the 5-7 socials.

Great. I'm really hoping the same thing happens on our Reflection TA next year!

Now, with 5 days notice.... Reflection too!

Dear Sussex Cruiser:

We look forward to welcoming you on Celebrity ReflectionSM on her transatlantic voyage. We want to let you know that, due to the extraordinary popularity of this sailing with our Elite members, during the Captain's Club Lounge social hour we'll be offering you the choice to enjoy your evening cocktails at various bars and lounges throughout the ship. This will allow us to continue to provide you with the highest quality service while allowing you the opportunity to experience each venue's unique ambience.

On your upcoming transatlantic cruise, you'll receive three (3) Elite Beverage Vouchers for each evening. The days and hours of your Captain's Club Lounge remain the same, so you'll be sure to find fellow Elites out enjoying their social hour in the various venues. And, your menu choices for your Elite social hour remain the same, as well.

In the past, when we've had more Elite members than can comfortably occupy Michael's Club, we've moved the Captain's Club Lounge to the Sky Lounge. On rare occasions when even the Sky Lounge cannot accommodate all our Elite Members, we've implemented the voucher system for our members to enjoy the Captain's Club Lounge in various venues. In order to continue to provide you with the highest level of service, we would appreciate your feedback at CaptainsClub@celebrity.com.

We look forward to making your cruise an enjoyable one and hope you enjoy exploring the exciting venues we have on board Celebrity Reflection.

Certainly there was no question in my mind about the Reflection TA where the sky lounge is smaller than on the other ships. All TA's have large numbers of captain's club elites.

Having now lived through the "experiment" voyage personally, the coupons do work....they work better if you are select/aqua or late seating because getting a seat at 5 is still a problem, even with more bars. I recommend getting to your venue of choice at about 5:55pm when the early dining folks leave. As they leave, they will likely offer you unused coupons as well, should you want more....and you might so you can take a glass of wine to dinner with you when you leave.

Practically speaking, you have michaels club (or is that now a beer pub on the reflection), the large lounge on 5 outside the specialty restaurants and the sky lounge to choose from. The martini and molecular bars are not included. Of course you can drink at one of the outside bars depending on the weather which in our case was cool and damp for the first part of the cruise.

Also be warned that the elite meet the captain event sort of at lunch time won't have food...only desserts. That's a change as well which they don't mention...and there are no hors d'ouvers at the 5-7 socials.

Good to hear the report of the voucher system, sounds like for many it is working well. For us, we really do not want the hors d'ouvers although we do have some, it sometimes fills us up to much so no big deal

I like the idea of the Captains Club celebration event being desserts only - last cruise it was at 1330 which was a kind of mixed up time for us eating wise, this way we can lunch earlier and pick up a dessert if we want (or not). Might be nice if it had cakes as well as desserts for those who are reaching the afternoon tea feeling in their stomachs. However if there are hundreds at the event, we may well give it a miss as its a pain to get dressed up on an at sea day during the middle of the day, so it has to be dressing up for something we really want to do.

I could of course start a riot here and say whilst they are at, why not take off the dress code for the Captains Club event as it is during the day, whats the big deal about making men wear long trousers for 45 minutes.....................

And Ghstudio, Thanks for being one of the few rational reporters on this thread!

IS there a set time, other than the day, that the vouchers must be used?

Example: Do you have to use the voucher between 5 - 7pm on that day?

Yes, the vouchers are only good from 5-7PM on the date stamped on them when you receive them (the night before).

We like to go to the lunchtime event for sushi. This usually takes place following the Big Brunch, which we like to avoid. However, now, if they serve dessert only, we may have to attend the brunch because I don't know what else will be available that day.

Sorry, I realize this is off topic, but it is relation to what ghstudio reported.

Yes, the vouchers are only good from 5-7PM on the date stamped on them when you receive them (the night before).

Thank you for your reply. It would have been nice if it was good for the evening. This would allow people to drink when they want too. Not try to push everything/everyone into a two hour window.

Thank you for your reply. It would have been nice if it was good for the evening. This would allow people to drink when they want too. Not try to push everything/everyone into a two hour window.

The Elite reception is about this same time frame. Having the vouchers the same hours as the reception seems to made sense. Why would the vouchers have different or extended hours?

M

Thank you for your reply. It would have been nice if it was good for the evening. This would allow people to drink when they want too. Not try to push everything/everyone into a two hour window. Are there only certain types of drinks that you can order?

If the purpose of vouchers is really to prevent overcrowding (and give elite passengers more choices), why wouldn't the coupons be redeemable any time the bars are open? What's the point of forcing everyone to use them during the same two hours?

One of the things I would miss most about the elite cocktail party is the opportunity to meet many of the ship's officers. We've enjoyed diverse conversations with the environmental officer to the acupuncturist!

The Elite reception is about this same time frame. Having the vouchers the same hours as the reception seems to made sense. Why would the vouchers have different or extended hours?

M

Some have said that the reasons X changed from the Elite Happy Hours (5 - 7pm) was to reduce staff serving personnel and crowding. Well, if that is true, why limit the hours of use and the bars that will accept these vouchers? So, to answer your question - Why wouldn't the vouchers have different of extended hours?

If the purpose of vouchers is really to prevent overcrowding (and give elite passengers more choices), why wouldn't the coupons be redeemable any time the bars are open? What's the point of forcing everyone to use them during the same two hours?

One of the things I would miss most about the elite cocktail party is the opportunity to meet many of the ship's officers. We've enjoyed diverse conversations with the environmental officer to the acupuncturist!

Totally agree with you!!!!

We did a 21 day b2b on the Eclipse this past April/May and actually stopped going to the Elite cocktail parties. Unless you got there close to the opening time, seating was difficult and the drinks were nothing special. We were in a Celebrity Suite and got nothing special from Celebrity. HAL does it differently (and better). Most of the suite guests have a private lounge and get a special lunch and officer reception. The Captain's Club folks get a reception one evening before dinner. We are booked on the Summit next October and believe me, we did not choose Celebrity for the Elite cocktail party. I might mention that we attained Elite status after the T/A and before the Norway segment but were given the Elite perks when we boarded in Miami at the beginning of the 21 days. We appreciated that :)

Interesting, we've probably been on a dozen Celebrity cruises and the only time we met any officers was on a short Millie cruise last March. Most of our other cruises have been 7 days or more and nary a time have we chatted with a senior officer.

Just curious, what is your solution? If there are too many Elites to fit into one venue for the Social Hour what alternative does the ship have to remedy the situation?

Regarding your upcoming cruise, the itinerary is wonderful so I hope you enjoy it. After all, the Elite party has only been available for a few years and I bet you enjoyed your Celebrity cruises before its inception. (Of course you may be someone who was a Royal Diamond who became an instant Elite.)

Archived