West Maui and Lanai'

Mailgirl

Does any one know if you need to rent a 4x4 to do some parts of West Maui. I'm looking at the map but can't really tell.

Lanai'- I read that there's a ferry, can cars go on the ferry? I know for Lanai' If I go I will need to have a 4x4.

I'm in port from 8:00am - 11:00pm, I want to see the sites on the west side and maybe do the entire west loop than either drive toward Hana or maybe go to Haleakala National park.

There were also a couple of places I wanted to do in Lanai (Ship wreck beach and Pu'u Pehe) are some examples, but I would have to plan for the round trip 90 minute ferry ride.

There is so much to to see it's hard to choose what to do first. I don't snorkel so I am looking at going to museums and tropical gardens and historical sites.

Budget Queen if you are out there I would be interested in your ideas. When I went to Alaska you were a big help.

Does any one know if you need to rent a 4x4 to do some parts of West Maui. I'm looking at the map but can't really tell. No need for a 4x4 in West Maui or any of the Maui main roads unless you want to go off road.

Lanai'- I read that there's a ferry, can cars go on the ferry? I know for Lanai' If I go I will need to have a 4x4. No car ferry to Lanai.

I'm in port from 8:00am - 11:00pm, I want to see the sites on the west side and maybe do the entire west loop than either drive toward Hana or maybe go to Haleakala National park. Are you tendering into Lahaina or at the pier in Kahului? Without traffic it's a 45 minute drive on the main roads from Kahului to Lahaina. From Lahaina to Kahului around the north end of Maui through the small village of Kahakuloa takes about 90 minutes & the roads around the village make the Road to Hana look like a highway. After about midday Haleakala may be obscured by clouds & driving to Hana without stopping to enjoy the sites isn't great either.

There were also a couple of places I wanted to do in Lanai (Ship wreck beach and Pu'u Pehe) are some examples, but I would have to plan for the round trip 90 minute ferry ride.

There is so much to to see it's hard to choose what to do first. I don't snorkel so I am looking at going to museums and tropical gardens and historical sites. There's a small whaling musuem in Ka'anapali's Whaler's Village shopping center & just outside of Wailuku is a free to visit tropical garden...Maui Tropical Plantation. http://www.mauitropicalplantation.com/

Not far from there is I'ao Valley which is an interesting park area showing some examples of Hawaiian agriculture. There's the Maui Ocean Center in Ma'alaea & several old Lahaina historical buildings. In north Kihei there's the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale Center & here's a link for museums in Maui http://www.mauimapp.com/museums.htm

Budget Queen if you are out there I would be interested in your ideas. When I went to Alaska you were a big help.

I've lived in Maui & it would be a very busy day to do West Maui and Hana or Haleakala in one day. I'd suggest less time on the road seeing a lot of things from your car & more time enjoying a few places.

I've never been to Lanai (only to scuba dive) so can't offer any suggestions there but hope you have a great time in Maui and/or Lanai.

Hi There! Would totally recommend Lanai! we went for a few days 2 years ago and loved it. They have a car rental place in town that rents 4 wheel drive jeeps which you will for sure need. If you go be sure to go to garden of the Gods. Also, if you continue down the same road that Garden of the Gods is on ( all red dirt by the way) all the way to the end, it spits out onto a gloriously long stretch of isolated beach. Surf is not safe for swimming but it is amazing down there. The drive is quite treacherous though. Near shipwreck beach are some petroglyphs you can view as well.

Going to Lanai, or Hana, would take a whole day by itself.

If wanting to drive round Lahaina west/north (clockwise) to Kahului, it's quite doable. We drove it. Some parts are narrow 1-lane road. Excellent view. But leave at least 1.5hr or more to do that.

Archived