Current QM2 TA Blog

Koukla-mou

It is a bit gushy but well written and the photos are excellent. If Cunard is using it in their promotional material it would indicate they have offered the writer some kind of quid pro quo deal and why not?! Travel writers do these sponsored blog/reviews of hotels, ships, resorts, tours, restaurants, tourist activities all the time. Its their job, lucky so-and-so's! I don't have a problem with it at all but admit I do lose interest if it's too obviously one big infomercial. This blog is teetering on the edge........

I'm enjoying the blog and loving the photos. How does he upload photos whilst at sea? Maybe they're smaller sized photos.

I found day 6 of the blog to be quite intriguing as the Todd English dining experience the author relates is so different to the one I experienced. We certainly didn't experience amazing service or food - or even great service or food. Can it be that Todd English is so different depending on whether you have lunch or dinner?

I found day 6 of the blog to be quite intriguing as the Todd English dining experience the author relates is so different to the one I experienced. We certainly didn't experience amazing service or food - or even great service or food. Can it be that Todd English is so different depending on whether you have lunch or dinner?

I do not think the style of cooking would change between lunch and dinner and the main problem is the food is too heavy to suit my taste. It is quite a heavy American style of food. The author of the blog may well enjoy this type of cooking.

As for the service, well I did not have any problems, but I know that you did on your particular venture into TE.

I do not think the style of cooking would change between lunch and dinner and the main problem is the food is too heavy to suit my taste. It is quite a heavy American style of food. The author of the blog may well enjoy this type of cooking.

As for the service, well I did not have any problems, but I know that you did on your particular venture into TE.

Yes it was disappointing, in both the food and the service. The Verandah restaurant on QE seems to get rave reviews, hopefully the contract between Todd English and Cunard will end soon and the Todd English space becomes something else.

I'm enjoying the blog and loving the photos. How does he upload photos whilst at sea? Maybe they're smaller sized photos.

Since his trip is partially underwritten by Cunard it's reasonable to believe he may have received a free Internet package part of the deal - the whole point is for him to tell the world how wonderful it is, right? The connection is slow but with some planning it can be done if minutes on the clock aren't particularly important.

Since his trip is partially underwritten by Cunard it's reasonable to believe he may have received a free Internet package part of the deal - the whole point is for him to tell the world how wonderful it is, right? The connection is slow but with some planning it can be done if minutes on the clock aren't particularly important.
Catching up on the blog - I now see that he acknowledges the cost of connectivity on day 5.

I must admit that looking at the pictures, I do not find the presentation of the dishes at Todd English to be appealing at all. Certainly not creative. And the prawns do not look particularly enormous.

The author does a very good job of conveying the experience of the crossing, but some of the more gushing parts are not quite as credible.

When I was writing a blog I gave up trying to upload photos as it just took too long. Even if it was free, the time factor involved would make it a bit of a chore.

I suspect you are correct and that the internet package is discounted/free for the author. Or, failing that, it would be a tax deduction for him so the cost, and the end of the day, is not a concern.

I must admit that looking at the pictures, I do not find the presentation of the dishes at Todd English to be appealing at all. Certainly not creative. And the prawns do not look particularly enormous.

The author does a very good job of conveying the experience of the crossing, but some of the more gushing parts are not quite as credible.

I'm enjoying the blog, but the description of Todd English as "the jewel in the crown jewel dining experience onboard QM2 & QV" left me somewhat bemused. Having dinned at Todd English, I've no idea how anyone could state that "Todd English is an absolute must for anyone cruising Queen Mary 2 in the near future" with a straight face.

Maybe I'll give it another go, try it at dinner instead of lunch.

Where on earth did you come up with that idea? Do you have knowledge of the "fact" you state or is it just wild speculation?

Not wild speculation at all

May I suggest that you read postings #18 and #20,- had you read these you would not have posted as you did.

I agree Whitemarsh,

I had lunch at TE in Aug, only two tables had diners, my appetizer came up with the incorrect dish. Main dish was only "warm" not hot, the icecream desert was more ice than cream, ordered tea to end the meal , waiter brought coffee

Thankfully the meal was part of my Diamond status I would not have wished to have paid for it.

Not wild speculation at all

May I suggest that you read postings #18 and #20,- had you read these you would not have posted as you did.

I meant your implication that he would not be truthful or would write what Cunard wanted. Quote: "Enough Said"

The photos are still excellent but the writing is now a flagrant hagiography to the point of being cloying :(. I was hoping for at least some balance and objectivity. The only "problem" so far seems to be Canyon Ranch Spas unwillingness to allow him to show images of their hydro pool. Maybe their copyright and his clash? Or maybe the Canyon Ranch "attitude problem" is more widespread than I realised.

The photos are still excellent but the writing is now a flagrant hagiography to the point of being cloying :(. I was hoping for at least some balance and objectivity. The only "problem" so far seems to be Canyon Ranch Spas unwillingness to allow him to show images of their hydro pool. Maybe their copyright and his clash? Or maybe the Canyon Ranch "attitude problem" is more widespread than I realised.

Why do most threads on this Cunard board need to bring negatives to everything? I don't understand it. Why can't we just enjoy a nice blog, great photos and not complain about it? Sure his blog is very positive but it's very possible he's having a good time! I know I did when I was on QM2. It seems like some think that if it's not critical it shouldn't be mentioned on cruise critic. I for one like to enjoy the rare occasions I get to go on a ship as magnificent as QM2 and greatly enjoy reading about others that are enjoying sailing on her. Let it go!

Rob

I meant your implication that he would not be truthful or would write what Cunard wanted. Quote: "Enough Said"

Perhaps instead of "enough said" I should have written "He does not bite the hand that feeds him"- meaning that since he paid far less than the normal fare, he is in fact being underwritten by Cunard, and will therefore write in praise rather than being impartial.

Perhaps you should ask yourself "how he can photograph empty rooms" (dining room, Queens Room BEFORE Tea is being served - when the doors are normally locked , empty libary, ), if not with the assistance of the PR of Cunard.

Personally I wish CC threads and postings to be from the regular general cruising public not travel writers, or those affliated - even tenuously -with the cruise line.

I'm sure he has access to the public rooms by virtue of Cunard but on his website he states that he writes it as he sees it, regardless whether he is given cheap fares. That's good enough for me. i have also read plenty of posts on here that bear no relation to the cruise I have been on. It is simply someones opinion.

Perhaps you should ask yourself "how he can photograph empty rooms" (dining room, Queens Room BEFORE Tea is being served - when the doors are normally locked , empty libary, ), if not with the assistance of the PR of Cunard.
Well, I manage to photograph empty rooms, including dining rooms, Library, etc, etc, etc by being up early... or by picking my times carefully. He does say that he photographs areas at approx 5 am to make sure they are clear of passengers.

I do not ask permission, arrange anything with the crew or staff, tell anyone in advance. I simply wander in with a camera. So simple. Sometimes I wait until a room or area is free of other passengers, other times I take the picture anyway. I've photographed an empty Spa on QM2, and areas I wasn't supposed to be in ("Grill only" areas for example).

Easy. Why should you feel there is a trick to it? :confused: Don't you use a camera?

Perhaps you should ask yourself "how he can photograph empty rooms" (dining room, Queens Room BEFORE Tea is being served - when the doors are normally locked , empty libary, ), if not with the assistance of the PR of Cunard...

I totally agree with Pepperrn, there's no need for special assistance from Cunard PR to take pictures of empty rooms, it's just a matter of timing:

have a look at my pictures taken at the library at 6:30PM (while dinner first sitting was taking place and people of the second sitting were getting ready...): not a soul!

QM2 Library

Same story with dining rooms and Queen Room: I didn't go when they were empty but I could, no problem at all....

I'm an early riser and I've taken lots of photos when the rooms are empty.

I've read the blog but I'm more taken by the pictures.:D Having been aboard within the past month I sigh over every picture wishing I was still there.

His library photos were from when the library cabinets are locked - the library is always "open" in that you can always go in and sit & read but the bookcases are only accessible during regular hours.

But having read only his QM2 report i'd say it's fair to observe that he knows which side his bread is buttered on. If anyone can point to a cruise blog where he finds fault with the line or the ship (as opposed to lost luggage or a problem with the terminal's embarkation process, for example) I'd like to see it.

I think he's just having a good time and is proficient at conveying his enjoyment. He wouldn't have a blog (that anyone followed) if all he was capable of writing was "had dinner in the Britannia dining room. It was good."

I have the same wonderful experience when I'm on board (fingers crossed that will always be the case) but the difference is that he's a professional writer and so his ability to convey excellence far outdoes mine (and presumably many others) which leads to many of us thinking his blog is a paid advertisement.

I don't think this is the case; he's just an eloquent writer who's clearly enjoying himself and knows just how to get that across.

As I mentioned before, the only thing he's written about which didn't ring true to me was his description of the dining experience at Todd English. But maybe my sole experience at that restaurant was the anomaly - not his. So I'll give TE another go between Singapore and Hong Kong, and if it hasn't improved then I'll not go again.

I liked his pictures but I did not think there was anything special about the commentary. In fact, if not for the pictures, I doubt I would have read past the second day.

A non-professional writer tends to leave in many interesting comments that a professional writer would probably edit out. That's why I much prefer Capnpugwash's writings, or even your own writings, Whitemarsh.

Whitemarsh, I would encourage you to have another test meal at Todd English - prior to Hong Kong seems a great idea.

Louise

Archived