Gem delayed, itinerary change??

lidodeckfan

I'm guessing you work for Norwegian or have some stake in the company. During my call with the company, their representative was unprofessional on the phone. Furthermore, as stated above, their amateur decision not to leave a day earlier like Carnival resulted in 1,000s of people being stuck out at sea, and 1,000s more stuck sitting at home checking ncl.com for updates.

Leave a day early from the Southern Caribbean four days before the storm? At that time Sandy was forecast to go out to sea. I'm sorry your vacation is ruined. It sucks. But to blame an act of God on the cruise line is misguided anger.

Leave a day early from the Southern Caribbean four days before the storm? At that time Sandy was forecast to ormolu to sea. I'm sorry your vacation is ruined. It sucks. But to blame an act of God on the cruise line is misguided anger.

Funny. If I was on Carnival like I will be from now on, I'd be drinking by the hot tub right now.

Leave a day early from the Southern Caribbean four days before the storm? At that time Sandy was forecast to go out to sea. I'm sorry your vacation is ruined. It sucks. But to blame an act of God on the cruise line is misguided anger.

Stop turning to logic here! NCL should have been psychic, should have known NYC would close their port four days before it happened, and acted accordingly. :rolleyes:

Funny. If I was on Carnival like I will be from now on, I'd be drinking by the hot tub right now.

Not so funny for the people on the Carnival ship who called on San Juan and skipped all remaining ports to return to NYC one day early.

During my call with the company, their representative was unprofessional on the phone.

Well at least you answered the question. Try calling back when they determine the plan for your cruise and I'm sure they will be helpful.

Furthermore, as stated above, their amateur decision not to leave a day earlier

This comment makes no sense. I will no longer discuss this with you.

Good luck to you, I am sure they will take care of you once it is clear when they can return to NYC.

Not so funny for the people on the Carnival ship who called on San Juan and skipped all remaining ports to return to NYC one day early.

I'd be willing to bet the people who have been trapped on the Gem these extra days would have preferred to have been cut one day short...

I'm guessing you work for Norwegian or have some stake in the company. During my call with the company, their representative was unprofessional on the phone. Furthermore, as stated above, their amateur decision not to leave a day earlier like Carnival resulted in 1,000s of people being stuck out at sea, and 1,000s more stuck sitting at home checking ncl.com for updates.

Had they left on Sunday they would have had to cut someone's cruise short by one day. Seems like a no-win situation to me.

Norwegian representative also informed me they would not be prorating our ticket cost and will not be issuing partial refunds.

I can understand your frustration, I would be frustrated too, although I wouldn't be placing blame for the unknown. NCL cannot make a decision on when NYC opens their port, it's totally out of their hands. I'm sure if they had a choice they would not want 1000's of passengers yelling at them. Have you tried asking for a full refund and just skip the whole thing. Thats exactly what I would be doing in this case. Instead of sitting around waiting for what may only be a partial or very short cruise, I would just be asking for a full refund that would allow me to take a cruise at a later date and certainly not during risky hurricane season.

You are mistaken if you think that Carnival gets it right everytime. Hang around on the boards awhile and that will become abundantly clear.;)

I'd be willing to bet the people who have been trapped on the Gem these extra days would have preferred to have been cut one day short...

I"m thinking you would probably lose this bet if you were going on the higher average that would feel that way. Although there would probably be a few that would. I know if it were my DH and myself. He would be the one chomping at the bit to get back to work (he owns his own business). I would be the one thinking "gee, I could think of a lot worse places to be stranded than on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean".

I can understand your frustration, I would be frustrated too, although I wouldn't be placing blame for the unknown. NCL cannot make a decision on when NYC opens their port, it's totally out of their hands. I'm sure if they had a choice they would not want 1000's of passengers yelling at them. Have you tried asking for a full refund and just skip the whole thing. Thats exactly what I would be doing in this case. Instead of sitting around waiting for what may only be a partial or very short cruise, I would just be asking for a full refund that would allow me to take a cruise at a later date and certainly not during risky hurricane season.

this is what we are thinking about...calling tomorrow and seeing what can be done.

i would rather have the refund and book a last minute trip elsewhere

vacation time is not easy to get especially two weeks in a row.

yes we booked during a potential risky time, but this was the time that we had

Have you tried asking for a full refund and just skip the whole thing.

Yes I have and was denied.

My anger lies not at the unknown, but at Norwegian's handling of the situation. Why not make a decisive decision and just cancel the cruise and offer refunds? Don't tell people who don't have power in the first place, to check ncl.com for future announcement. That's unacceptable!

this is what we are thinking about...calling tomorrow and seeing what can be done.

i would rather have the refund and book a last minute trip elsewhere

vacation time is not easy to get especially two weeks in a row.

yes we booked during a potential risky time, but this was the time that we had

Oh I certainly wasn't saying anyone was wrong in booking now, but you do have to be aware that there are more risks when booking this time of year (which you seem to be).

I just woudn't want to waste my whole week of vacation waiting for what might never happen if the power doesn't come back on, damage fixed and port opened. Instead of saving whatever time I had left. But saying that, the problem that some would encounter, is having enough funds to be able to do something else while waiting for your refund (if they will do that) to be returned.

Good luck, so sorry to hear that this cruise isn't happening for you. That must be so disappointing.

Yes I have and was denied.

My anger lies not at the unknown, but at Norwegian's handling of the situation. Why not make a decisive decision and just cancel the cruise and offer refunds? Don't tell people who don't have power in the first place, to check ncl.com for future announcement. That's unacceptable!

Then I would suggest, stop talking to call center people who have no control or any power to do anything. Keep climbing the ladder until you find someone with power to help you.

Might I also suggest you check the attitude that you have shown on this board before you speak to people farther up. Chances are that will get you no where. In my many many years of life, I have a found calmness and logic gets me what I want 10X's as fast as anger.

I just woudn't want to waste my whole week of vacation waiting for what might never happen if the power doesn't come back on, damage fixed and port opened. Instead of saving whatever time I had left.

This is the point I'm trying to make. Why won't NCL get on board with this and just offer refunds NOW???

This is the point I'm trying to make. Why won't NCL get on board with this and just offer refunds NOW???

Simple. Because you agreed to a contract stating this could happen. In other words you already agreed to the terms they set out. You had best go back and re-read the contract. They OWE you nothing. But chances are if you ask nicely to the person that can make a decision like that, you may just get what you want.

Has anyone else scheduled for Gem's 10/29 departure been able to get a refund?

You'd probably get a quicker answer on this if you head over to the roll call board and ask there. There are probably far more Gem 10/29 passengers over there than here.

Archived