Gem heading to Boston

BlueJai

NCL just posted on Facebook:

Hurricane Sandy Update

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 5 pm ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. As a result of Hurricane Sandy’s devastating impact on New York City, the Port of New York remains closed and the opening date and time is uncertain.

... Therefore, Norwegian Gem will call in Boston tomorrow, Wednesday, October 31, at 9:30 am to take on provisions and fuel. Guests will have the opportunity to go ashore in Boston. The ship will depart Boston at 3 pm and sail toward New York and remain at sea until the Port of New York reopens. Norwegian Gem’s Captain will continue to keep guests informed.

Guests who wish to disembark in Boston may do so. For those guests who purchased air through Norwegian, we will assist with re-booking their air travel subject to availability as Logan International Airport is open. We are also offering complimentary phone and internet services for guests.

We are awaiting word from officials as to when the Port of New York will open and will communicate with our guests as soon as the information becomes available. At this point, we are anticipating that the Port will re-open on Thursday or Friday. Guests who were scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 cruise should continue to check ncl.com for the latest information.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding and patience during these unprecedented weather-related circumstances.

This gives people the option to get off ship early, or wait till Port of NY opens again. All depends on where they live, and if airfare involved etc. This sounds like more than reasonable thing to do. At times like this, nothing is going to perfect for everyone, though at least here, the people on board have an option to get off earlier and try to fly home from Boston. Thanks for sharing your information.

That sounds like a good strategy for the people who are on the current cruise. The passengers have an opportunity to disembark in Boston. If they live in the NYC area, they can stay aboard until the ship returns. The ship gets fresh provisions.

I'm just surprised that they haven't cancelled the 10/29 cruise? Or at least offered to give a 100% refund, or future credit to people who choose not to take the shortened cruise. For people who are trying to fly in from across the country, it must be frustrating. "Should we fly in the first chance that we get, then take a chance that cruise will even sail?" If they have an opportunity to cancel and get future cruise credit, then get credit for a future flight, that would make it so much easier on them.

It's looking more and more like the 10/29 cruise just isn't going to happen. Even the passengers who are NYC locals probably have other things on their mind, and they would prefer to postpone their trip.

At this time NCL is giving NO offers to October 29 people. Any time up to tonight. Before midnight when they closed. All you get is " they don't know "

Don't know when the ship will get to NY. Don't know where it's going!

At this time NCL is giving NO offers to October 29 people. Any time up to tonight. Before midnight when they closed. All you get is " they don't know "

Don't know when the ship will get to NY. Don't know where it's going!

I guess they can't make offers until they see how it all pans out. NCL in the past have been very generous with their compensation. You just have to be patient. I'm sure if the cruise is cancelled you'll get a total refund and a discount on a future cruise.

Logan in Boston is open but really backed up due to multiple cancelled flights around the storm. Lots of stories in the media about people who are stranded and can't get a flight out for several days. Hope the Gem passengers check before leaving the ship to travel home.

DD is on the Gem and has opted to get off in Boston. Some one driving to pick them up and bring them back to upstate NY. Yankee Trails brought them to the pier but will not go to Boston to pick them up. Not happy about that. Theyare lucky though. Those that stay on were told it may be another 4-6 days before geting into NY Cant see how the 10/29 will even br able to do shortened cruise.

Unfortunately, this time around they're doing an extremely POOR job communicating with passengers and offering flexibility for future vacations.

I'm sure their main concern right now is getting fuel for the ship and food for the people who are currently on the GEM. I think this weeks cruise is going to be a wash. I bet most folk can't even get to the port yet.

Sucks if your on this weeks sailing but like they said.....stuff happens. Its completely out of the hands of NCL

It is a weird situation--if you live nearby you want the ship to depart. But for the hundreds who were going to fly in, the airports in New York are not even open. I think people just have to realize at this point that this is a real disaster that is going to take time to straighten out. And as disappointing as it is, getting people on their vacations is not the biggest priority. However, keeping people safe is.

My brother drives a tour bus in Massachusetts and his company was called late last night (Tues night) and told to bring all their buses to the port in Boston to meet cruise ships coming in. They will be told where they are taking passengers after they get there. The drivers are speculating they will be disbursed to different areas to deliver passengers. They are told they don't need to pack for overnight so sounds like they will be limited to 400-600 miles from Boston. Covers a pretty big area. Going to NYC is probably out right now, but there are at least 3 large airports within a very close distance that are open, 4 or 5 if you count Portland, ME and Manchester, NH.

It is a weird situation--if you live nearby you want the ship to depart. But for the hundreds who were going to fly in, the airports in New York are not even open. I think people just have to realize at this point that this is a real disaster that is going to take time to straighten out. And as disappointing as it is, getting people on their vacations is not the biggest priority. However, keeping people safe is.

Great comment-we need a 'like' button to click on (similar to facebook.)

My best wishes go out to all those affected by Sandy. Not just the ones who have to sit and sip mimosas for a few extra days. but also to those whose homes have been destroyed, businesses ruined and lives wrecked!

I do also sympathize with the people who have had their vacation extended/ruined, but them's the breaks, folks. That's what insurance is for and I'm sure NCL will do plenty to make it right once they know for sure what's going on.

Still, I'm waiting for the inevitable "NCL sucks" posts. People need to see the big picture.

NCL is having no problem keeping my $2,000+ for services I haven't received.

Oh please, I'm sure your CC will be credited within a few days. They have more important things to worry about right now.

Cruisin I really had empathy for you originally, as I did for all those affected in anyway by Sandy.

But seriously being candid, you are really making a fool of yourself now. As suggested go to the roll call where you are probably going to find empathy and sympathy from those that are in the same boat (or not ;)) as yourself. Those are the people that are affected most by this displacement of cruises and who have to endure the waiting the same as you do. So can probably relate on the same scale of disappointment.

You agreed to a contract with NCL and whether or not you chose to read it or whether or not you comprehended that this was a possible scenerio is of your own choices. Whether or not you have "cancel for any reason" insurance or chose to travel during the unrest of hurricane season. Again were choices you made.

Sorry that is what it is. And all of the griping on CC that you do is really not helping you in any way that I can see. Most are empathetic to your situation but do not agree that NCL is responsible for this.

You are channelling your energy in the wrong direction. And probably giving yourself ulcers to boot.

I'm on here educating everyone about my experience with the lack of customer service skills by NCL and their unwillingness to work with us. I'm not looking for empathy. I'm simply asking for answers and credit towards a future cruise. They keep telling us to check NCL.com for updates. That's customer service?? God forbid you experience a similar experience for your early 2013 sailing. I would think you'd be grateful I'm letting you know what to expect from NCL.

I'm on here educating everyone about my experience with the lack of customer service skills by NCL and their unwillingness to work with us. I'm not looking for empathy. I'm simply asking for answers and credit towards a future cruise. They keep telling us to check NCL.com for updates. That's customer service?? God forbid you experience a similar experience for your early 2013 sailing. I would think you'd be grateful I'm letting you know what to expect from NCL.

Actually my 2013 cruise has been cancelled already, I just haven't had time to change my signature. But thank you for your concern. I have already read the contract terms prior to my first cruise and am aware of the risks I choose to take.

Your cruise is collateral damage from the super storm. NCL needs to deal with the passengers who are in their care right now first and foremost. Could you just imagine what this board would look like if no information was coming out about the GEM cruise out there at present but instead NCL had you folks all refunded and taken care of. That would look way worse and be way worse. They are priorizing. First this cruise and then the next one. Unfortunately that will not be your cruise either I am afraid.

Archived