Cash for On Board Account

scoobie

I have read other posts but have found them confusing at best. My daughter and her boyfriend are cruising with us and neither has a credit card. We have read that you can choose the cash option. Here is the question:

1. Is there a specific amount of CASH they must put down for the cruise(10 day)?

OR

2. Do they give their debit card and a Hold for a specific amount is put on their bank account.

Appreciate the replies as we are hoping not to put our credit card on their account.

I have read other posts but have found them confusing at best. My daughter and her boyfriend are cruising with us and neither has a credit card. We have read that you can choose the cash option. Here is the question:

1. Is there a specific amount of CASH they must put down for the cruise(10 day)?

OR

2. Do they give their debit card and a Hold for a specific amount is put on their bank account.

Appreciate the replies as we are hoping not to put our credit card on their account.

Our experience has been that Royal does not require any up front money to be put down on a cash account. Our daughter and her friends have done this several times. If the charges total some amount, something like $300 or $500, they will require the account to be paid down.

I've read many accounts of debit card use. Whether holds are encounted seems to depend on the financial institution that holds the account. I would set up the accounts as cash, and then pay them off with the debit card at the end of the cruise. This way, there should be no holds.

Just as a small side note ........ whatever they decide to do at the end of the cruise, DO NOT wait until the the last morning (debarkation). The lines are brutal. Have them stop by the evening before and either supply the debit card then, or pay a bunch with cash and provide a debit card for the balance.

I would NOT use a debit card to hold your account. RCI gives you up to $500 before you are required to pay cash down....but you can give them cash upfront....either way.

If you have a credit card, you can use that to "link" to your account...and pay it off on the last evening in cash. Nothing is actually charged to a credit or debit card until the cruise is over. So you can use a credit card, but have nothing charged to it, if you pay it off in cash!

I would NOT use a debit card to hold your account. RCI gives you up to $500 before you are required to pay cash down....but you can give them cash upfront....either way.

If you have a credit card, you can use that to "link" to your account...and pay it off on the last evening in cash. Nothing is actually charged to a credit or debit card until the cruise is over. So you can use a credit card, but have nothing charged to it, if you pay it off in cash!

Although nothing would actually be "charged" to the credit or debit card, until the cruise is over, there are holds placed on the account which can be problematic if the available credit is limited.

.......neither has a credit card......

If you have a credit card............ So you can use a credit card, but have nothing charged to it, if you pay it off in cash!

Hhhmmmm ????? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

We just sailed Oasis, and only have a debit card. In the past, when we only use the debit card, they put a daily hold on what we spent that day, then on the last day, they charged the total amount. The daily charges fell off one by one as days passed. It's a pain.

What we did on Oasis a few weeks ago, is we did our set sail with our debit card, but as soon as we boarded, we added cash to the account. If we used all the cash towards the end, then the balance would come off our debit card. it worked nice and only had two days worth of holds, instead of seven. If we had cash left over, they put it on the debit card or your could pick it up in cash.

If you choose to only do a cash account, they extend 500.00 dollars before you have to bring cash to customer service. (then your card gets locked )

Hope this helps !

OR

I would suggest they use the $500 "grace" on each of their cards and then use your cc to pay it off for them (assuming you get points on your cc) at the end of the cruise and get the cash from them. I did this with a friend one cruise - they charged about $400 and on the last night I paid it off and took their cash and got myself some "free" travel points too :)

We didn't want to tie up the debit card with holds etc

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

We had a cash account on our last cruise as we do not have credit cards either. Royal does not require any money down on the account until the balance hits $500. At that time, they require it to be paid off before any more charges can be added. What we did is put down a couple hundred dollars at the front end of the cruise and then paid off the account the evening before disembarkation. Worked out perfectly!

early in my cruising career I used cash, but found the lines at the end to be crazy. then I learned that I could use a debit card, however, it was troublesome when they put the hold on the card. so what I do now is I have a separate vacation debit card to a bank that is not attached to any bills that I would have to worry about any holds...

my mom uses cash every time. she is not at all bothered about the lines at the end of the cruise.

Why do they not have a credit cards?

I'm 21, I don't have a credit card yet. I have applied but have never been able to get one as of you, had a debit card but now I just use cash and have been been putting most of it in my savings account for a while now. I carry very little cash on me and like to spend only what I have. I know myself very well and know that a credit card would be dangerous. ;) I use my parents for purchases online and some other select things.

I was oasis on September. We opted for a cash account.At checkin ,they confirmed that it was a cash account.At that point i was prepared to hand over my debit card. They never asked for it or cash. They simply said "enjoy your cruise". We would check on the interactive tv each night what we had spent,because we were on a budget. The following day we would just go down to guest services and pay off our balance in cash,but im sure they would have accepted debit/credit. hope this helps.

Archived