A Grouch Does the Prinsendam – Live

whogo

Thank you so much for my Sunday afternoon entertainment. I enjoy your writing style and your comments. We love meeting for Trivia and the "drink of the day", we won the grand prize once. It was a great piece of travel luggage with wheels.

I still have a smile on my face as I sign off...:)

Whogo,

Thanks so much for your postings. We were supposed to go on this cruise, but had to cancel due to dh came down with pneumonia 2 days before the cruise, so we are enjoying the cruise through your notes. I especially love the info on the spies!!

I have been watching your weather through www.wunderground.com. It looks like you have rain in Malaga and possibly in Cadiz. I hope it is better than it looks. There is a wonderful history museum in Cadiz near port if you have a change to go. There are Roman and Phoenician ruins displayed very nicely; it is a lovely museum with wifi just outside.

We had booked a tour to Seville with 11 others; I hope the weather will be nice there, and I hope they found 2 to take our place. If you happen to meet Joyce and Gil Weber or Linda Davis, please tell them hello for us and that we sure do miss seeing them!!

Thanks again for your wonderful posts; I believe you are not paranoid, just a lot of fun!!

Happy sailing,

Nancy

Sorry to hear that you did not make the cruise.

Hope your DH is feeling better.

Have you heard/seen Captain Halle Thon "Hello, it's me again" Gundersen around the ship yet? This is his last year before retiring. The man's been around a couple of times, and most of it on the same ship you're on:)

Great for Captain Gundersen - sad for the Prinsendam - he's been with her so long - everyone will miss 'it's me again' - is he retiring in 2012 Copper? He'll be very much missed :eek: He ran a good ship:)

Caro Sr. Groucho,

Your evaluation of the on-board Tai Chi experience? DW, who's done the forms for a while now, tried this on another cruise recently. Quit after one session. Too elementary, alas. We'll be on HAL in a month and she hopes for better.

J

Whogo - Have you found out yet how to turn on the closet light without waking up your DW? I remember it took us a while to figure that out, but it can be done. I'm surprised that your cabin steward (who is not spying on you ;) ) hasn't shown you. :D

November 5, 2012

Water was off for about two hours yesterday, leaving no water for the toilet at an inopportune time. Beautiful sunrise this morning as we sailed north up the coast to Lisbon. Partly cloudy skies promised better, if cooler, weather.

Meagan has run an excellent Tai Chi class. I would rather she spent more time on the forms and less on stretching, but she is much better than the miserable instructor we had on our last cruise.

Travel guide Daniel provided commentary as we sailed up the Tagus River to Lisbon. He could have been more descriptive. I would have located the “beige church up the hill” if had mentioned the number of towers or domes, for instance. Our private excursion for eight featured an excellent guide. The highlight of the tour was Pena Palace in Sintra, the inspiration for the castle that inspired the Disney castle. Built in a mix of architectural styles and set on a hilltop in a forest, the castle was furnished and offered views all the way to the Atlantic. Nice to see they had running water in the bathrooms. Our lunch of excellent sardines was marred by slow service.

Our excursion continued through the forest to the coast and wild, crashing waves to Cascais and Estoril and a panoramic tour of Lisbon. I was particularly enchanted by the aquaduct, old streetcars, and a funicular.

No sign of spying, today, our steward is getting more clever. I am not paranoid, but there is an irregular buzzing noise coming from the ventilation system could drive me crazy.

Just started reading today. You are a man of my own heart. Re: the steak knives. They have obviously given you a left handed one. That is why it always goes the wrong way. Now you know what us lefties have to put up with 95% of the time.

Whogo, while the Pena palace is beautiful, I think the Disney Castle was actually inspired by Neuschwanstein Castle in Hohenschwangau in southwest Bavaria, Germany. Wikepedia actually lists it as the inspiration for the Cinderella Castle. I tried to post a picture of it - I hope everyone can access it.

I am enjoying your posts immensely - keep up the good work.

Neuschwanstein.jpg.8cdbc0a1295f8f549aabcb9304f646f4.jpg

If you run into Frank from Sarasota and his friend Ken tell him Barbara is doing fine but Anna is having problems again. Shes his 2 year old granddaughter so he'll know what I mean. He didn't know his stateroom when he left and i haven't heard from him. Enjoying your postings.

Another beautiful site in Sintra is the Quinta da Regaleira. It is a World Heritage site and has wonderful gardens surrounding it. It was designed by Luigi Manini who worked at Scala in Milan. The architecture is a mix of Gothic, Maueline, and Renaissance. The surrounding gardens have fountains, terraces, turrets,towers, lakes, and sculptures. There is an Initiation Well with a spiral staircase that was inspired by the practices of the Freemasons and Knights Templar. The entire area is just magical as is the Pena Palace. Don't miss either if you are in the area!!

November 6, 2012

Mary Ellen said, “Whogo - Have you found out yet how to turn on the closet light without waking up your DW? I remember it took us a while to figure that out, but it can be done. I'm surprised that your cabin steward (who is not spying on you) hasn't shown you.”

I have not figured it out. The bathroom light has a single switch. Each bed light has a single switch, so far clear and simple. There is a two-way switch next to the door and next to the bed which turns on the main room lights. These lights have to be on before the closet light will turn on. Turn off either two-way switch and the closet light goes off, too.

Superoma said (in part), “While the Pena palace is beautiful,I think the Disney Castle was actually inspired by Neuschwanstein Castle...” Our guide's claim was that Pena Palace inspired Neuschwanstein.

mrf said, “If you run into Frank from Sarasota and his friend Ken tell him Barbara is doing fine but Anna is having problems again. Shes his 2 year old granddaughter so he'll know what I mean. He didn't know his stateroom when he left and i haven't heard from him. Enjoying your postings.” I have not met a Frank or a Ken or about 800 other passengers, yet.

crazy4cruisn said, “Another beautiful site in Sintra is the Quinta da Regaleira. It is a World Heritage site and has wonderful gardens surrounding it. It was designed by Luigi Manini who worked at Scala in Milan. The architecture is a mix of Gothic, Maueline, and Renaissance. The surrounding gardens have fountains, terraces, turrets,towers, lakes, and sculptures. There is an Initiation Well with a spiral staircase that was inspired by the practices of the Freemasons and Knights Templar. The entire area is just magical as is the Pena Palace. Don't miss either if you are in the area!!”

Sorry you were not along with us yesterday, we had a lovely tour. Our 11:00 arrival in Lisbon limited our touring options. It would be nice to spend an entire port day in Sintra and any number of days there on a land trip. Sintra enjoys a beautiful natural setting. We viewed a number of interesting sights there that were worthy of more time. Our slow lunch kept us from doing anything else. I regret that I can not wax eloquently about the area. The forests and shores of Portugal are more beautiful than I imagined.

“Good morning! This your cruise director interrupting to tell you of the day's activities. This will aid those of you who understand English, but are incapable of reading the printed word. At 4:00, it is 'Get Mugged' bingo in the Showroom at Sea. Remember, you gotta be in it to win it. Check out our formal night photo special. Tonight the first, third, and tenth person to say 'ciao' to our Italian photographer will receive a free portrait. And with the reflexology special in the Greenhouse Spa, this is your chance, whogo, to give up on science based knowledge and start believing that your vital organs can be manipulated through reflex points in the feet and that our spa personnel know how. What better place to get health care than at the Greenhouse Spa! Plenty to do around the beautiful MS Prinsendam and I will see you out and about.”

The ship has been rolling a bit since we left Lisbon. While Prinsendam aficionados say the ship cuts through the waves, I am unconvinced that the little Prinsendam rides better than bigger ships. Leisurely day at sea, portobella pita for lunch was a mistake. Gave up waiting to order dessert. DW won the lunch contest with her Sante Fe salad. It is a rough life when all you have to do is eat and sleep. I won dinner with a perfectly prepared filet mignon. Was tempted by the lamb skewer until I saw it on another diner's plate drizzled with yogurt. Lost trivia twice today in tie-breakers. Second place is the first loser. Finally won free drinks at sparsely attended express trivia.

Speaking of Dam ships reminds me of my favorite charity: DAM: Mothers Against Dyslexia

Thanks for the report Whogo:) congrats on the Trivia:):)

Wondering how high your waves are with the rolling:confused::confused:

Even with very high winds and high waves I found the P'dam smoother than the N.A. :)

Glad to hear you loved Sintra as much as I did. Dh and I would like to go back and stay at least a week! We did private tours there the last two times and really enjoyed getting to spend more time seeing the area rather than the slow dining with a bus group. Obidos and Evora are small towns outside of Lisbon that we would also like to see as well as other sites in or near Sintra.

Hope the ship does less pitching today and across the Atlantic. I am interested in your review of Horta. I could not find much to do there. I understand the blue hydrangeas that cover the hills are gorgeous but probably too late to see them. We loved Madeira; too bad Holland has changed that port.

Good luck on the closet light!

November 7, 2012 – Day at Sea

I have made it through a good part of the dining room breakfast menu; full English breakfast, American breakfast, eggs benedict, eggs royal, and this morning's eggs florentine were particularly tasty.

I spent some time checking out previous complaints about the Prinsendam and found many of them valid. The hot tubs are grungy looking with something staining the bottom. I have not been in either pool to check their cleanliness. There is corrosion on the pool loungers and the nylon mesh shows wear. My balcony chair pads are not musty, but I was not about to bury my nose in them or any other pads. Dining room windows are dirty, but so were my glasses after a moment in the salt spray this morning. There is cigarette smoke odor in the front staircase that is nowhere near any passenger smoking areas. There are plenty of dings and dents around the ship.

We used an elevator only once when we initially boarded. I am not certain that four elevators are enough for 850 mostly senior passenger. People look like they wait a long while. I think the Volendam has 50% more passengers and has three times the elevators.

I have heard a couple of complaints about the lack of hot water. One cruiser said he was finally going to draw a hot bath for his wife only to find that the tub stopper was broken. Another cruiser complained that he had no air movement into his cabin. I saw one passenger directing a staff member to his cabin with the comment that five days was too long to put up with whatever the problem was. Me? HVAC was not working in our cabin for a few hours. I am having no problem. It's a great cruise.

Indonesian Tea was a delight. Dining room staff were proud to show off their country's delights. Huge cut of prime rib at dinner. I am a happy camper.

November 7, 2012 – Day at Sea

I have made it through a good part of the dining room breakfast menu; full English breakfast, American breakfast, eggs benedict, eggs royal, and this morning's eggs florentine were particularly tasty.

I spent some time checking out previous complaints about the Prinsendam and found many of them valid. The hot tubs are grungy looking with something staining the bottom. I have not been in either pool to check their cleanliness. There is corrosion on the pool loungers and the nylon mesh shows wear. My balcony chair pads are not musty, but I was not about to bury my nose in them or any other pads. Dining room windows are dirty, but so were my glasses after a moment in the salt spray this morning. There is cigarette smoke odor in the front staircase that is nowhere near any passenger smoking areas. There are plenty of dings and dents around the ship.

We used an elevator only once when we initially boarded. I am not certain that four elevators are enough for 850 mostly senior passenger. People look like they wait a long while. I think the Volendam has 50% more passengers and has three times the elevators.

I have heard a couple of complaints about the lack of hot water. One cruiser said he was finally going to draw a hot bath for his wife only to find that the tub stopper was broken. Another cruiser complained that he had no air movement into his cabin. I saw one passenger directing a staff member to his cabin with the comment that five days was too long to put up with whatever the problem was. Me? HVAC was not working in our cabin for a few hours. I am having no problem. It's a great cruise.

Indonesian Tea was a delight. Dining room staff were proud to show off their country's delights. Huge cut of prime rib at dinner. I am a happy camper.

I have not been on the Prinsendam for a couple of years, but these were the same complaints that I read then.

I think you have a person who is so visual that you see *everything* about a place, or be inclined to be very particular, to really even notice most of these things. Once I tried to *look* for rust/corrosion, I found a couple of spots... but seriously, had I not actively looked for it, I would not have noticed it at all.

There were a couple of people on our roll call who, after reading posts complaining about her, told me at the M&G that they were actually considering cancelling the cruise, or were afraid of coming, because of some of the reports on CC. They *all* said that, after they got on her, were happily surprised to see what a wonderful ship she was.

There was one man who complained about his porthole (a LOT). People (from our roll call) who were in cabins in the addition, legitimately, had complaints about the noise, vibration, and drainage issues on their balcony, but even they, overall, loved the ship and thought the problem came with the "new" cabins that were put in at the retrofit.

Of course, I shouldn't be saying all of this... the more people who want to go on her, the less likely I am to be upgraded if I ever have the luck to sail on her again ;-)... but, I hate seeing her maligned. She is a lovely, lovely ship.

Archived