HAL email offers

Traveling Bob

We booked a trip for February on 10/26 thru a TA. They gave us a price that was $400 less than the HAL web site and I thought that it was a good deal. Today, I got an email from HAL that linked back to what I thought was the regular HAL web site and it had our suite for $200 less than the TA. So I called the TA and told them the story. They said that they didn't see it on HAL's web page, but would match it as soon as they could comfirm the price with HAL. The TA called back and said that neither they nor HAL could find the offer, and in fact, the regular HAL site didn't show the lower price. Finally, I printed the screen from the email link and sent it to the TA. They sent it to their HAL rep who then "found" the special rate and the TA matched it. So it seems that HAL's email offers are better than their regular web page (or what's available to TAs), but if you don't book thru the provided link, you have to jump thru hoops to get the rate from a TA. Its a long story, but do check out those email offers (even if you have already booked)!

HAL never sends us offers. They are so afraid that just once we won't pay the highest, most ridiculous price of all for our cabin. :) They'd hate for us to break our 'perfect record' and do all to enable us to keep the streak going........

They never send us offers to reduce our price by even a scant one cent. :rolleyes: :D

Discount? Huh? What's that? :confused:

I'm curious what Mariner level Traveling Bob is. I ask because my DM receives e:mail offers from HAL that are often priced much lower than published rates ($300-$600pp average). She is a one-star Mariner and sailed in 2006. The e:mails always say something like "these special fares are not open to the general public." I called HAL a couple years ago and was told the specials were only for her and I could not purchase at that price. I can only assume because she is a one-star Mariner that HAL is trying to get her back with very special rates.

Personally we booked our cabin based on itinerary and ship - we've traveled from C staterooms to Deluxe Suites.

I'm curious what Mariner level Traveling Bob is. I ask because my DM receives e:mail offers from HAL that are often priced much lower than published rates ($300-$600pp average). She is a one-star Mariner and sailed in 2006. The e:mails always say something like "these special fares are not open to the general public." I called HAL a couple years ago and was told the specials were only for her and I could not purchase at that price. I can only assume because she is a one-star Mariner that HAL is trying to get her back with very special rates.

I think your assumption is correct.

What I have reada though is that if you were traveling with your DM, you could get the same price as what she is offered.

I had the same thing happen to me! Why do companies play this game? Not just HAL. They always "reward" the NEXT customer and forget about the one they have in the pocket already. Having said that, I think delta does a pretty good job at rewards for current customers!

HAL never sends us offers. They are so afraid that just once we won't pay the highest, most ridiculous price of all for our cabin. :) They'd hate for us to break our 'perfect record' and do all to enable us to keep the streak going........

They never send us offers to reduce our price by even a scant one cent. :rolleyes: :D

Discount? Huh? What's that? :confused:

Sail --

I've booked mostly SA's and S's in the last few years. I've managed to get price reductions on almost every cruise. However, this is because I continually check the current price online(on the HAL site, not an online agency). I also don't book high season or holidays, so that may be the reason I am able to get price reductions on my cruises. I hope your cruises might offer this in the future if you see a reduction...I definitely do not wait for an email telling me about reductions, I get emails and snail mail but that is not usually where I find the price breaks.

Elaine

Thanks for mentioning this, Elaine.

I need to be more proactive in trying to get us even a bit of discount. I think I shall start checking the HAL site daily. I haven't been doing that...... it gets me too aggravated. :D

Thanks for mentioning this, Elaine.

I need to be more proactive in trying to get us even a bit of discount. I think I shall start checking the HAL site daily. I haven't been doing that...... it gets me too aggravated. :D

this 'cruise sail' that is going on now. I checked and got $540 off per person for our big Cruise this year -- you don't have to check daily -- but maybe 2- 3 times a week. After I got my reduction, I noticed in the last couple of days the price has gone up a little -- not back to what I originally signed up for but more than what I am paying now. It is really a game. Even my travel agent thinks I have a 'magic touch'.

The reason for the 'magic touch' label is because on the last cruise, I lowered my SA price as well as the obstructed view for my daughter and grandson so much that when we got an upsale offer --- all of the reductions actually paid for the kids cabin and the upgrade to a veranda and the total was still less then the original book value.

It is just a matter of working the system.

Elaine

We booked a trip for February on 10/26 thru a TA. They gave us a price that was $400 less than the HAL web site and I thought that it was a good deal. Today, I got an email from HAL that linked back to what I thought was the regular HAL web site and it had our suite for $200 less than the TA. So I called the TA and told them the story. They said that they didn't see it on HAL's web page, but would match it as soon as they could comfirm the price with HAL. The TA called back and said that neither they nor HAL could find the offer, and in fact, the regular HAL site didn't show the lower price. Finally, I printed the screen from the email link and sent it to the TA. They sent it to their HAL rep who then "found" the special rate and the TA matched it. So it seems that HAL's email offers are better than their regular web page (or what's available to TAs), but if you don't book thru the provided link, you have to jump thru hoops to get the rate from a TA. Its a long story, but do check out those email offers (even if you have already booked)!

I always book through HAL's email offers. They are usually great prices especially for the month of November.

stop as soon as you book a cruise. THey don't want you comparing their new pricing vs the one you paid. Makes good marketing sense. But i compare prices every few days by subscribing to a TA competing site and thru a fish site and have another dummy email acct set up with HAL. The dummy one (which has never sailed with HAL obviously) gets lower prices offered than I do - 3 star mariner. So if discounts mean anythng to you, you must be proactive to get them. I also don't depend on my TA to get me an upsell offer. I start asking for them myself 1 month out until I get their final offer - about 2-3 weeks out. It means more work - all of this - but it saves me many dollars!

I got an email announcing a PCC from HAL. I emailed her last Saturday as well as again on Wednesday. How long should I expect to wait for a reply? This is the third PCC assigned to me over the years and to date I have never been able to connect with one. Could it be that I asked to look into a recent price reduction and/or upgrade due to reduction?

Archived