Another Tip Question

TravelGal22

We almost always give extra cash to our room steward, server and assistant server in the dining room.

On our last cruise, the Carnival Freedom, we did that and I do regret giving extra to the dining room servers because we had the worst service we've ever had on a cruise. Extremely s-l-o-w, and worse, forgetting things we asked for even after we politely asked a second time. :(

If that happens on our upcoming cruise there will be no extra cash given, just the pre-paid tips.

Room steward is usually great though.

We generally give an extra $20 to each, sometimes more if they have gone above and beyond the normal stuff.

We'll give extra cash tips to bartenders sometimes too, especially if we've gotten to know one really well. :)

How many of you give out individual tips along with the prepaid tips? How much do you give?
It depends, but any additional amount is *NEVER* in advance, for the exact reasons cited by Yvonne above.

Last month, we experienced exemplary service from all of the usual suspects.

It depends upon the service we get on the cruise.

DR servers have more work to do and service not what it use to be so generally just pay the auto tip amount.

Also going to steakhouse on most recent cruises so tipping for one night we are not even there so think autotip is very fair.

We pick up after ourselves so not making much work for room steward so generally think auto tip is fair.

However we have been known to add to the auto tip if the service warranted it.

We usually give the room steward a smaller tip in the beginning of the cruise and ask that he keep our cooler full of ice and I always need extra pillows or whatever. If they do a good job at that, then we give them a little more at the end of the cruise. Also, we give the cocktail waitor a tip if we get to know them. They really do run their feet off. And the DR server only gets an extra something if they do a good job over the cruise.

On our last cruise, we paid the auto-tips but also gave additional cash at the end to our steward ($40) and to our favorite waitress and bartender in the cigar bar ($20 each). All 3 of them went above and beyond to meet our needs and make us happy. Our steward in particular- especially the night I called to tell him I had knocked over a glass of red wine on my marble topped night stand. Shattered glass and wine went everywhere (including the white duvet on the bed)! :eek: When we got back from dinner you would never have known. And he never even acted annoyed at me. :o In the bar, our favorites remembered our names and what we liked to drink and always made sure DH had a cigar ashtray waiting for him. We were in there every night after dinner.

Our MDR servers, on the other hand, were surly and slow. They did not get any additional tips.

We always tip $2-4 cash for room service.

Out of six cruises, we have only tipped extra once. That was to a bar server that went out of his way to make sure we always had drinks. Other than that one time, we have never had service that made us feel like we should give more than required.

We gave extra cash to our room steward on the last day. We gave our drink server who treated us like kings and queens an extra $5 to $10 per day. We rarely walked up to a bar, but when we did we tipped and extra $1 or $2 per round of drinks.

How many of you give out individual tips along with the prepaid tips? How much do you give?

I worked service industry for many years... and I do know that these people as in room stewards because they get room and board, only sometimes make around 200.00 a month from a company paycheck they highly depend on tips. when we got to our cabin and met him, I gave him a 20.00 and said... keep us tidy and with ice and there is more where that came from :-) let me tell you.... there wasnt ONE time that we left the cabin that he wasn't in there tidying up straightening the bed , even lining up my gf 's shoes ! he remembered our names and addressed us by them :) when we left, we left him another 20 and whatever sodas we had left over and some snacks we had brought, they are also allowed to receive gifts as well. a small note is also very appreciated, I've since done my research lol they are on these ships for a long time. when they get THANK YOU's, it DOES mean a LOT and believe me they keep them and do appreciate them.

you can go to the kiosk and change the tip amount , and we did because we didnt use the MDR in the morning at all and only 3 nights so we switched part of that to the bartender tips. you can switch it however you want and add what you want or give them cash which is what we did....seemed the smile was bigger hahaha :D

Out of six cruises, we have only tipped extra once. That was to a bar server that went out of his way to make sure we always had drinks. Other than that one time, we have never had service that made us feel like we should give more than required.

that is what we do.

IF we get service above and beyond what we expect then we will tip ontop of the automatic tipping.

One cruise we had grand daughter. on that ship there was a table magician and the waiter made sure the GD finished her dinner or there was no magician to visit. when he cleared off our mess he then got the magician. It was the hightlight of her meal and he did this each and every night. We gave the magician 20 bucks and gave the waiter an extra 50.

coz his service was way above what I expected.

on other cruises if my steward made up my room twice a day and got us fresh towels-- that is my expectation-- we request nothing else.

If we do we will tip accordingly.

PS- we always give the steward off one or two nights of service.

Archived