Another Galveston departure question

croozymooner

We are sailing the Disney magic and arriving back to Galveston at 8:30 on Saturday march 9 which actually seems a little late in the morning to me if I remember when compared to other cruises. I keep seeing all these bad things about Galveston disembarkation. We will be four adults (2 in 30s, 2 in 60s), a two year old and and an infant. Planning on doing Disney ground transfers to avoid bringing car seats and tring to figure out what time flight to book. Disney recommends after 1:30pm. Our options are 12:40 or 3:50. Which would you do?

I'm concerned about waiting around at the airport for four hours with little ones and arriving home at 7pm doesn't sound great either but is doable. Other cruises I'd have no hesitation with a 12:40 flight but given Disney doesnt recommend it and obviously we don't want to miss the flight. It's Saturday so no rush hour. Thoughts?

Similar question...we will be coming in on Crown Princess 12/22 after TA. Ship scheduled to arrive at 7 am and our flight is at 6:15 pm :eek:

We are also concerned about sitting around the airport for hours with luggage, as the airlines usually won't check them until within 3 hours of flight.

Is there anything close to the port - walking distance or short cab ride to kill a few hours prior to the airport run?

Thanks in advance for any advise here.

Neither of the first 2 posters with questions mentioned which airport - IAH (George Bush Intercontinental - aka the big airport) about 70 miles from Galveston or HOU (Hobby) - mostly Southwest, but a few flights on other lines about 40 miles from Galveston. Answers will vary depending.....

Neither of the first 2 posters with questions mentioned which airport - IAH (George Bush Intercontinental - aka the big airport) about 70 miles from Galveston or HOU (Hobby) - mostly Southwest, but a few flights on other lines about 40 miles from Galveston. Answers will vary depending.....

You are so right...sorry! There are three couples from our roll call sharing a SuperShuttle from the port to Hobby. We are all flying Southwest with flights at 5:00, 5:30, and 6:15 pm. Ship is scheduled at 7:00 am. That makes for a long day and we would like it to be as fun and stress free as possible. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Its my understanding that there is a rental car place..enterprise I think that is open until noon on saturday. You could do a one way rental its expensive but do-able. Supper shuttle is another way if you book in advance they can come for you when you need it.

There are lots of places to go to in galveston. For the ones with the kids, the moody gardens might be good and enjoyable for your whole family. I dont have the website handy but was able to find it on google when I was looking for something to do. Galveston has a bus system thats fairly user friendly. Try Galveston.com...lots of information with links that you can use as well.

I've considered trying to do something on the departure day but what would we do with our luggage? A rental car is not an option because I am not lugging two car seats with us for no other reason than touring on our departure day. I would do that otherwise if we didn't have them with us.

So anyone with suggestions for 12:40 vs 3:50 flight out of HOU after a cruise that's supposed to dock at 8:30 on a Saturday in march?

Fog very often delays ships coming back in at that time of year...later flight is better. The Strand shopping district is with in walking distance (2 blocks) to kill time prior.

I have sailed out of Galveston 3 times, fog an issue 2 times...and have lived there as well :)

Archived