Trying to plan a sting ray city tour & 7 mile beach

familytravelx5

Hello,

I am so confused...I will be arriving in Grand Cayman Nov. 20th on the Destiny.

I know it's a tender port. My documents say time there is 9:00-4:00 (I think the last tender back is 3:00-3:15). The stingray/snorkle tour I'm interested in is telling me it's really 8:00 (?)-4:00 what do they know that Carnival doesn't know lol. Are the ship & island times the SAME that time of year?

Also, I am vacillating between the tour that leaves at 10:00 for 3 hrs (stingray & 2 snorkle stops) or 11:15 for 2.5 hrs (stingray & 1 snorkle stop). Originally we wanted to be dropped off at 7 mile beach to walk around before getting back on the ship. The earlier one would allow this, but we'd be rushing off the ship if it's 9:00.....With tendering and such, which would you choose?

If you're doing the excursion thru the ship, time is of no consequence at all...they will make sure you're back on time.

The ONLY time that matters to you is SHIP's TIME! Doesn't matter one bit what time it is on GC....ship time is the ONLY time!!!!

If you want time to go to the beach, do the early excursion....your last tender is 30 mins. prior to sailaway. Keep an eye on the road and traffic...it's easily visible from the beach...traffic gets really backed up in the afternoon! Allow about 45 mins to get back to the dock.....even from a couple of miles away!!!!

Yep. Only ship time matters. If you book through ship, you WILL NOT miss the ship. We were on the LAST tender back at one port, not our fault, but since we booked through the ship, the ship waited. :)

I've booked both ways, BUT if it's a possible time issue, I go through the ship.

I would do the earlier one.

If you book an early excursion through the ship, then you'll be able to get off the ship first (at least with carnival). If you book not with the ship, then you'll wait to wait to get off the ship as they get people off with early excursions first.

You'll be called to an area to wait, then called to leave the ship. If you book through the ship, you'll make it.

I can't find a tour that includes both Stingrays and 7-mile beach. Am I not looking in the right place? Seems they would have this combo unless it's one way to get you back there?

Try Moby Dick or Red Sail.

I can't find a tour that includes both Stingrays and 7-mile beach. Am I not looking in the right place? Seems they would have this combo unless it's one way to get you back there?

I am not doing a tour that includes both, some tour companies will drop you off at 7 mile beach after the stingray/snorkle part. That's what I have been looking into doing. We'd have to catch a cab or bus back to the port.

Thanks for the other replies. I am not doing a Carnival excursion to save $150 so that is why tendering is an important time factor. I just have to make sure we pick an excursion time that will allow us to get off without stressing too much. Sometimes I lean towards just hiring a company at the port....

thanks again!

Here is what we did...

We got off the ship... When you hit the dock there is alot of tours available to buy right there.

So we found a cab. We told the cabbie what we wanted to do, which was go to a beach that had food / alcohol, and that had jetskis for rent. No problem, 15 minutes later we were on the beach. It was Calico Jack's --- Cost like $10 for the cab ride for 2 of us. Then we rented jetskis, also not expensive. We had a few cocktails and some lunch, jerk chicken, etc, and then returned to the dock around noon. Then, we went and found a stingray city tour.

All in all, it was very flexible. We could do what we wanted when we wanted, and it was cheaper then the cruise lines excursions.

there last week... since we have changed our time back (last week) ship time & island time will be the same.. :) we were there from 9:00-4:30... last tender was at 3:45.. we had a stingray city jet skie excursion booked with Action Watersports at 12;30... when we docked we walked to the city bus (2.50 per person) and took it to governor's beach (which is part of seven mile beach).. then at 12:15 we walked across the street where we were picked up for our tour.. after the tour they dropped us back off at the pier.. GREAT excursion.. loved it.. if you have any questions i would be glad to answer!! :)

Archived