just a reminder -- no power strips

25dbb

these posts indicating that some passengers were able to bring on power strips and some got confisicated. I'm wondering if there are certain size or shape of the power strip which trigger the alert from security screening.

If you have successfully or unsucessfully bring onboard the power strips can you also tell us what size you brought?

I have been able to successfully bring a small surge outlet power strip the length is about 9 inch (not counting the cord). It is a plain single row of 6 outlets on it.

When my husband got to the naughty room, the suitcase was marked "surge protector"

not power strip. One of the power strips was actually new in the package. The cruise staff member was the one that told my husband that they were cracking down since the Concordia disaster, we didn't just dream that up.

dbb25

We just took one on the Oasis of the Seas. No issue and a girl in our group snuck a travel iron on board.

Please let us know if your friend has any other cruises planned - I would probably end up telling her what an idiot she is. :rolleyes:

I don't really see the need for a power strip. Most of these things are not going to be plugged in at one time and do not require hours and hours of charging - so why the need? With that said - if RCCL is going to ban strips - I think a surge protector is a good idea but an effective surge protector is fairly expensive - they should put that in their banned item list.

When my husband got to the naughty room, the suitcase was marked "surge protector"

not power strip. One of the power strips was actually new in the package. The cruise staff member was the one that told my husband that they were cracking down since the Concordia disaster, we didn't just dream that up.

dbb25

I think the problem for the Concordia was an incompetent captain and a large rock.

I don't think there was anything about electrical or fire. They lost power when the water rushed in to the generators.

That seems like a really silly excuse. ;) That said, we have never felt the need for a power strip. We bring an international adaptor so we can use both the American and European outlets on the vanity. The adaptor also has a slot for a USB cord. :)

We bring an international adaptor so we can use both the American and European outlets on the vanity. The adaptor also has a slot for a USB cord. :)

I recently bought a new battery charger for my camara battery and it came with a European adaptor plug.

Can it be used with any device or just the battery charger?

I recently bought a new battery charger for my camara battery and it came with a European adaptor plug.

Can it be used with any device or just the battery charger?

The adaptor is just a plug adaptor. It doesn't change voltage. The European outlet on the vanity is 220, so it can be used to charge or use electronics or any device that will accept variable voltage 110-240.

This is one of the ones I have, but it wasn't this expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-TK-200-Continental-Travel-Charger/dp/B0013V7SLO

I think the problem for the Concordia was an incompetent captain and a large rock.

I don't think there was anything about electrical or fire. They lost power when the water rushed in to the generators.

That seems like a really silly excuse. ;) That said, we have never felt the need for a power strip. We bring an international adaptor so we can use both the American and European outlets on the vanity. The adaptor also has a slot for a USB cord. :)

Our problem is that we don't realize until the last second that we need to charge our devices, and then we put them all on at the same time.:o But three is the most we've ever needed at one time.

• 4 months later...

dbb25

What has a ship hitting a rock and sinking got to do with a surge protector or a power strip? :confused:

Archived