Half Moon Cay-did any HAL ships visit 10/30-11/01?

twentyknots

Is it possible that HAL did go to the island and the customer's/crew's reported that the island wasn't really ready for that many people? I would think HAL/Carnival would have prescouted the island, but it may be that the island couldn't accomadate either the guests or the larger number of guests that may of come on one of Carnivals larger ships.

There are caretakers on the island. There are staff that come over from Eleuthra. Surely there was contact with them after the storm to assess damage and necessary repairs.

Any 'prescouting' would have been done by them, I would imagine.

Sometime back I remember reading on Captain Albert's blog a discussion about decisions to anchor or by-pass Half Moon Cay. His blog has great information for anyone interested in the behind-the-scenes work it requires to captain a cruise ship. Warning, you'll become addicted.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/

This would've been my 6th stop there - all on Carnival - and it was the first miss. The cost of the cruise has ZERO to do it!

I still haven't found the confirmation that I was hoping to find - We were told on Monday, 10/29, that we wouldn't be stopping there on Wednesday, 10/31.

So if a HAL ship stopped there on Tuesday, 10/30, and they decided that there was damage that should be repaired before any further calls, it wouldn't have affected my Carnival sailing, as this announcement was made PRIOR to 10/30!

It's also entirely possible that Carnival chose to cancel the stop and wait for HAL's input as to whether ships could resume their calls there. It is still HAL's island, after all. We Carnival cruisers are just very lucky that we're allowed to visit!

I was there on the Eurodam on the 9th of November. It was beautiful -although chilly.

The tenders were a mess but really the only noticeable damage was dead leaves and sand blown all over the paths. There was coral (or maybe concrete?) sticking up on a few spots of the surf but was really no problem at all. I did not horseback ride (the horses did not go into the water) or go to the stingray area. The bars, food areas and everything else seemed fine and back in-order.

I was there on the Eurodam on the 9th of November. It was beautiful -although chilly.

The tenders were a mess but really the only noticeable damage was dead leaves and sand blown all over the paths. There was coral (or maybe concrete?) sticking up on a few spots of the surf but was really no problem at all. I did not horseback ride (the horses did not go into the water) or go to the stingray area. The bars, food areas and everything else seemed fine and back in-order.

Not sure if the hot tub in the Oasis was damaged or not. It was not working. All else seemed well.

Was very cold!

Not sure if the hot tub in the Oasis was damaged or not. It was not working. All else seemed well.

Was very cold!

If you're talking about the hut to the south-side of the beach. I did notice that the water-slide was gone as well (was there 4 years ago at my last visit).

We were on the Zuiderdam sailing October 29,and the scheduled stop at HMC on the 30th was cancelled due to the island not being ready after Sandy.

That clinches it then. The Zuidy was the only HAL vessel scheduled to visit HMC between 10/30 - 11/01.

The ships scheduled for 10/31 and 11/01 were the Carnival Fantasy and Carnival Destiny.

Archived