Carnival Legend Late

jkm151

The Legend is sitting 18 miles from the bridge, not as yet moving. There is a Coast Guard ship out there. It just sailed under the bridge. It could be monitoring the weather. If I see the Legend start to move ill post it.

We are at aquarium with most/a lot of Legend sailers. Recommend for families with kids. They have small playground, water park with sprinklers, sand box. Though I don't know what to do for another 5-6 hours. I am sure there are no sits at the port so doesn't make sense to go there. Kids are tired and cranky already after three hours at aquarium

Any mariners out there that can explain why Tampa bay entrance via fog is any more of a problem than San Francisco? We sailed into SF bay in May on the Century and the fog was soo thick that we could not make out the bridge until we were right smack dab under it. Passed a Honda contianer ship at very close range just before going under the GG. Fog horns blaring, it was quiet an experience.

We are currently in the Sheraton Riverwalk in Tampa waiting. Marinetraffic.XXX still does not have the Legend moving.

I'm not a Mariner, but it has to do with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and clearance. The ship has to pass under at a specific location and in the fog or at certain high tide times they are unable to do that. There was a terrible accident back in the 80's that killed several people and the CG is very strict with regulations in and out of Tampa Bay.

We were on the Legend this past January and she was late to the port due to a mechanical. Our hotel let us stay in the room until 2pm. They knew about the problem since their shuttles were sitting at the port with no guests.

We scheduled a 3:30pm shuttle, got to the port about 4pm and walked right on. She was late leaving, 7ish I think. We did not miss any ports.

Good luck to you all. :)

Yes, I keep getting the texts about the fog. But it's so sunny here by the terminal. I happened to have swim stuff on my carry ons so kids occupied for another few hours at the water park at aquarium. But its closing at 5 pm. So what's next? How late the departure could be? Is it possibility that we have to get a hotel for a night? Thankfully I have portable WIFI so can keep up with all what is going on

I just now recvd a text from a friend who is aboard the Legend. She says they were told to expect to reach port in apx 4 hours. She said that the GS desk is packed, passengers are fussy and the line to get to the computers to check for later flts is long. They just started moving but it's a stop-& go type thing.

She will try and keep me posted.

Did the passengers had to vacate the cabins or allowed to stay until arrival?

She says no. She is still in her cabin and just sent me a pic from her balcony, can only see to the balcony railing. It is still thick as pea soup, according to her. The Lido buffet just opened as well as some bars. Those waiting with luggage were told to go back to their cabins and rest.

It's too bad for those that are waiting to get on the Legend and for those who have tight schedules that ae waiting to get off, but if this happens at the end of the cruise that leaves next Sunday we will be enjoying the extra time onboard because luckily even though we have over a 600 mile drive home we gave ourselves a four day buffer in which to make that drive.:D

She said the Captain just made an announcement " The port of Tampa is still closed but we are moving slowly in order to be in position to pass under the Skyway when we get the clearance"

She also said the CD just made an announcement of Free Bingo in one of the showrooms and a free Movie in the theater.

She also said that there are lots of moody, complaining folks that just do not realize that the situation is out of the Captain's hands. If the port is closed there is not much he can do but keep everyone safety as a first priority. They are wanting some type of compensation. :confused:

Archived