Generic HAL questions, specifically Maasdam

Sayyadina

Hello!

My husband and I are thinking about doing a cruise for our 5th anniversary next spring. I had been looking at NCL seriously for a while, mainly because they go out of NY and the Dawn has been getting some good reviews, timing was right, price was right, etc. Then I started reading about the Maasdam out of Norfolk, and the song "A Whole New World" started playing in my head. :p It sounds very much like what we are looking for! I have some questions, though:

Is there a self-serve laundry on board? If yes, free or charge?

Can I bring a small, hand-held steamer for clothes?

Do they have a soda card like NCL does? If yes, what are they priced like?

Can someone tell me what the Dutch High Tea is like? How should one dress?

NCL has hand sanitizer dispensers around the ships. How has HAL dealt with the threat of sickness on the ships?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions. Thanks ahead of time for the info!

JodyM :D

Maasdam

Yes, there a couple of laundries on board - there is a charge for using thw washer and dryer.

Yes, you can bring your own steamer on board.

Call Ship Srevices for the price of the soda card - it varies according to the length of the cruise (1-800-541-1576).

Dutch Tea is usally held in the dining room - small cakes, cookies, all kinds of pastries. Some people come in shorts - all kinds of attire there.

There are hand sanitizers on the ship.

Is there a self-serve laundry on board? If yes, free or charge?

There are several self-serve laundries on the S-class ships. IIRC the cost is $2.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry. Or the reverse. Soap is provided; bring your own fabric softener sheets. There are also irons and ironing boards in the laundry rooms.

Can I bring a small, hand-held steamer for clothes?

Yes, you may bring a steamer; irons in the cabin are forbidden. As pointed out above, there are irons in the laundry rooms, so there really is no need to carry one.

Do they have a soda card like NCL does? If yes, what are they priced like?

Yes, they do---for fountain drinks. I don't know the cost, but have read that it's cheaper to purchase it in advance.

Can someone tell me what the Dutch High Tea is like? How should one dress?

I don't go to the tea, but have not noticed people changing their daytime wear for it.

NCL has hand sanitizer dispensers around the ships. How has HAL dealt with the threat of sickness on the ships?

There are sanitizers around the ship, and frequently at the gangway upon return to the ship. If there is an increased concern of illness the Lido buffet will be served, and salt/pepper, etc. will be removed from the tables.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions. Thanks ahead of time for the info!

Fire when ready, Gridley.

RuthC ended with her invitation:

Fire when ready, Gridley.

Just in case you are wondering where RuthC's quote came from (ok, I was curious, so I went and checked it out):

Many Americans around 1900 called the naval commander of the Spanish-American War, Commodore George Dewey, a hero. Born on December 26, 1837, the brave sea captain inspired great admiration when he went to battle with the Spanish fleet in the Pacific. Departing for the Philippines on April 25, 1898, the day the U.S. declared war on Spain, he was well prepared for the fight. Just before 6 a.m., on the morning of May 1, 1898, Commodore George Dewey commenced the Battle of Manila Bay, uttering the famous command: "You may fire when ready, Gridley."

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-bin/page.cgi/jb/reform/dewey_1

The last spring cruise from Norfolk is March 25 for 11 days returning April 4.

Yup, that's the one I'm looking at. I'm a bit concerned that it is the last one before the Big Refirb, though. Any thoughts on going on a cruise before a big refirbishment? :confused:

Thanks for all the information!

JodyM

We were on the Maasdam from Norfolk this past spring and have booked again for March 3, 2006. We loved her. It was our first Holland American cruise (only Celebrity before) and we booked again so that should tell you something. I love the convenience of driving down from Maryland to Norfolk. Everything was wonderful ... even before the refurbishing has taken place. I think you will enjoy it if you book. We sailed out of Baltimore two years ago and that was great ... a half hour from home ... but alas, Celebrity no longer leaves from Baltimore (nor does anyone else I guess). Norfolk is a great port to leave from. I don't think you will be disappointed and I think the Maasdam is a beautiful ship. If you don't want to do your own laundry, you can fill a whole bag for $12.00 and it will be brought back the next day ... folded neatly or hanging on hangers (pressed). It was well worth the price and now I know I can pack a whole lot less next spring.

I'm a bit concerned that it is the last one before the Big Refirb, though. Any thoughts on going on a cruise before a big refirbishment? :confused:

JodyM

We sailed on her this past April and loved it. We are booked for the March 25 sailing and thought it would be fun to be on the last sailing before SOE.

The beds were great on our last trip, such an improvement.

We just wanted to go out of Norfolk again. Let me know if you decide to book. We can start a roll call. :D

Archived