Fishing Excursion at Half Moon Cay

fisheswithbears

We will be sailing on the Zuiderdam next Friday and our first stop is HMC. I am looking for any reviews or information about the fishing excursion offered by HAL, but I am not having any luck. Where would be the best place to look? I tried the reviews of excursions on the HAL website but there is only one. Thanks.

My husband, the fisherman, and I, camera person, took this excursion and it was wonderful! My husband NEVER caught fish no matter how often and how in how many places he tried, but this time he landed 3 big fish and one was a mahi mahi that the crew kept for eating purposes. The other man on this trip also landed 3 or more big fish. It was successful for all of us. The crew was helpful and knew where to find the fish. This excursion is the screen saver on my computer and the pictures make me smile each day. Money well spent.

That is really good news. I am the fisherman and my husband will come along and probably fish to please me.:) If you don't mind , I have so many questions but I will not impose on you too much. Would you mind telling me how long ago you took the excursion? Also what size was the boat used? Was there shade on the boat? I'd like to take my Mother along. She likes to fish but can't be out in the sun too much. I have booked the excursion for my husban and I but I'm not sure if I should include my Mom.

Thank you again for your helpful answer!

That is really good news. I am the fisherman and my husband will come along and probably fish to please me.:) If you don't mind , I have so many questions but I will not impose on you too much. Would you mind telling me how long ago you took the excursion? Also what size was the boat used? Was there shade on the boat? I'd like to take my Mother along. She likes to fish but can't be out in the sun too much. I have booked the excursion for my husban and I but I'm not sure if I should include my Mom.

My DH has taken this excursion each time we've been at HMC, sometimes for both offerings if there's room--usually 3 people on the excursion besides the captain and helper. The boat is around a 20-24 foot center console fishing boat. There was no shade. You'll need good sunblock and a hat. I wouldn't advise it for someone who can't be out in the sun for long.

He hasn't always caught something (and that's why they call it fishing), but he's always enjoyed it.

My husband and I did this excursion 2 years ago and unfortunately, our experience was much different from the other posts. The 2 men running the excursion didn't speak to us, and were not friendly when we tried starting a conversation, the boat wasn't big and there was no shade,We caught nothing. It was the only negative experience of our first cruise. I am glad to hear others had such great experiences!!!! Maybe we took the excursion on an off day....

We took it in March of 2009. We did the laterin the day trip - the earlier one was not as successful in landing fish. The crew we had were wonderful. The boat was like as described above - not much - if any shade.

My thanks to you all for answering my questions. Once again Cruise Critic folks come through with personal knowledge and advice!

Wish us luck in fishing, my DH and I are definitely going, but I think I will dicourage my Mom from joining us. She can relax in the shade on the beach.

I went fishing a year ago November at Half Moon Cay. My wife stayed behind, but two others joined me. There was only the Captain (english speaking) on the boat and we fished for a little under 2 hours. We caught 6 fish, including 3 Mahui Mahui, 2 Barracuda's and a reef shark. We took the first tender to the Island and with each of us catching two fish, myself with the shark, had a great morning.

Archived