Cruise ship for sale!

Very strange world this cruise business! :confused:

It seems that apart from Spirit and Cristal that Louis sail, all of their ships are for sale.

I thought they did not own spirit and it is still owned by HAL at arms length so to speak.

Maybe we have a reason why spirit is heading to La Rochelle. Louis have handed it back :eek:

Heck, all this could really muck up thomsons cruises next year.

I thought they did not own spirit and it is still owned by HAL at arms length so to speak.

Maybe we have a reason why spirit is heading to La Rochelle. Louis have handed it back :eek:

Heck, all this could really muck up thomsons cruises next year.

Yep, HAL still own it. I wonder how much money Louis receive from Spirit's sailings if it is a charter within a charter?

I think that it definitely confirms to me that leasing isn't the way forward for Thomson. The lack of freedom and depending on other companies just isn't a good option.

Yep, HAL still own it. I wonder how much money Louis receive from Spirit's sailings if it is a charter within a charter?

I think that it definitely confirms to me that leasing isn't the way forward for Thomson. The lack of freedom and depending on other companies just isn't a good option.

I was once told that Thomson only 'buy' the cabins from Louis on Spirit and at that time, Destiny with Louis managing everything else on board (except entertainment) which includes recruitment of crew, bars etc. So all profits apart from the cabin sales went to Louis.

At the time of this conversation it was also said that that was why they liked the Celebration so much as Thomson controlled the complete management of the ship - through agencies they recruited the crew, managed the bars etc. So in effect missing out the middle man in terms of the financial operations on board - so it was far more profitable for them.

This information did come from someone who should know - but I don't know whether this is still the case but if so the Dream will clearly fit into the same category as Celebration (bare boat charters) and I would think Thomson would do well to try to get any replacement ships on that basis if they don't buy. Like you Sailaway I think they'd be well out of the arrangement with Louis. Perhaps they will when the lease arrangements expire with Louis - if they are still around since their position does look a bit iffy doesn't it?

I was once told that Thomson only 'buy' the cabins from Louis on Spirit and at that time, Destiny with Louis managing everything else on board (except entertainment) which includes recruitment of crew, bars etc. So all profits apart from the cabin sales went to Louis.

At the time of this conversation it was also said that that was why they liked the Celebration so much as Thomson controlled the complete management of the ship - through agencies they recruited the crew, managed the bars etc. So in effect missing out the middle man in terms of the financial operations on board - so it was far more profitable for them.

This information did come from someone who should know - but I don't know whether this is still the case but if so the Dream will clearly fit into the same category as Celebration (bare boat charters) and I would think Thomson would do well to try to get any replacement ships on that basis if they don't buy. Like you Sailaway I think they'd be well out of the arrangement with Louis. Perhaps they will when the lease arrangements expire with Louis - if they are still around since their position does look a bit iffy doesn't it?

If louis are selling everything they can it looks as if they are getting out of the cruise ship business?

Selling Majesty from under Thomson is probably difficult until the end of the charter as compensation etc might apply.

I notice TUI have ordered a second new ship. So Mein Schiffs fleet will comprise 2 joint venture ships with ???? on which a considerbel amount of money has been spent. Plus 2 spanking new ships.

Why is high qualtiy hardware a requirement for the german market and not the british? This is a question for wotsit name and for ouselves. why don't we just walk away saying 'sorry Thomson, your ships are too ancient'

If louis are selling everything they can it looks as if they are getting out of the cruise ship business?

Selling Majesty from under Thomson is probably difficult until the end of the charter as compensation etc might apply.

I notice TUI have ordered a second new ship. So Mein Schiffs fleet will comprise 2 joint venture ships with ???? on which a considerbel amount of money has been spent. Plus 2 spanking new ships.

Why is high qualtiy hardware a requirement for the german market and not the british? This is a question for wotsit name and for ouselves. why don't we just walk away saying 'sorry Thomson, your ships are too ancient'

Good question Dave - why don't you post it for Mr Ellacott? It would be good for him to see there this is an issue here for his customers - and that it could impact very negatively on the business if they don't make some inroads into addressing it.

The reason we haven't walked away - yet - is because of the itineraries, port-intensive and ambience issues but we have tried something else and on balance stick predominantly with Thomson. (And of course I'm not affected by the dreaded single cabin scenario - I can see why you have issues on that score!) But the 'on balance' bit is very relevant. If they can't do better than replace ships with the likes of Majesty which doesn't work for me and isn't an improvement on several levels, I shall be heading off sooner rather than later.

So to recap (from another thread), Spirit is where she is not meant to be and has been de-badged. Majesty is up for sale, Dream/Celebration looks like they are safe in the fleet.

A little concerned, had not quite made my mind up which cruise to book so i am going to now hold off booking until last minute if i am reading this right. As who knows what ship you could end up on if they have to shuffle around!

After previously losing a lot of money on one holiday losing flights when the airline went into administration (note to oneself pay by Credit Card in future) and then losing our Dream holiday to the Maldives (note to oneself stick to what you know best and book direct) i think i have the touch of a Jonah about me so not taking any risks :)

Spirit is being used as a floating hotel in La Rochelle this weekend

http://www.sudouest.fr/2012/11/06/une-croisiere-sans-mal-de-mer-a-la-rochelle-871161-1391.php

translated is....

Published on 06/11/2012 at 06:00

By Stéphane Vacchiani comment (s)

A cruise without seasickness in La Rochelle

An offer can spend next weekend on a cruise ship docked in the Pallice.

871161_21831599_460x306.jpg "The Thomson Spirit" ship of 294 meters and 500 cabins. (Dr)

Partager

trans.gif

trans.gif

trans.gif

trans.gif

Envoyer à un ami

Imprimer

You fear the waves but you dream of embarking on a night on a cruise ship? It is possible! This weekend, the "Thomson Spirit" will be docked at the port of Commerce Pallice as a floating hotel. "It remains to dock," says Sébastien Goninet about this imposing 294 meters ship and 500 cabins.

At the head of Michel Travel Rochefort, he sells this unique offer: a cruise without moving. "I can assure you that there is a demand," says the professional, happy already have a liner. It is indeed he who ensured the sale of tickets on the "Costa Atlantica" when the port of La Rochelle had indicated that it would not ship to Pallice (our edition of 16 October).

Fireworks from D "We have seen half of our customers cancel their reservations," laments the travel agent who postponed his hopes on the new boat. The "Spirit" takes the program for the "Costa" if it is to happen no passengers on board as it was originally intended.

Tomorrow, a cruise will be organized for the day before a second reparte for the night until Thursday. Then booked by a company that takes its guests to see the Vendée Globe 02 to 13 h Saturday, the ship returns to dock for the evening cruise immobile.

Home "travelers" to 18 hours for meals on board, and fireworks "fired from the Ile de Ré" according to the organizer. Night in the cabin, breakfast and lunch on Sunday. Still on the boat. In the early afternoon, the ship will cast this time the ropes.

(1) The night and the food is sold 199 euros per cabin for two people. Reservations at 05 46 87 56 28.

La Rochelle · Tourism

Spirit is being used as a floating hotel in La Rochelle this weekend

http://www.sudouest.fr/2012/11/06/une-croisiere-sans-mal-de-mer-a-la-rochelle-871161-1391.php

translated is....

Published on 06/11/2012 at 06:00

By Stéphane Vacchiani comment (s)

A cruise without seasickness in La Rochelle

An offer can spend next weekend on a cruise ship docked in the Pallice.

871161_21831599_460x306.jpg "The Thomson Spirit" ship of 294 meters and 500 cabins. (Dr)

Partager

trans.gif

trans.gif

trans.gif

trans.gif

Envoyer à un ami

Imprimer

You fear the waves but you dream of embarking on a night on a cruise ship? It is possible! This weekend, the "Thomson Spirit" will be docked at the port of Commerce Pallice as a floating hotel. "It remains to dock," says Sébastien Goninet about this imposing 294 meters ship and 500 cabins.

At the head of Michel Travel Rochefort, he sells this unique offer: a cruise without moving. "I can assure you that there is a demand," says the professional, happy already have a liner. It is indeed he who ensured the sale of tickets on the "Costa Atlantica" when the port of La Rochelle had indicated that it would not ship to Pallice (our edition of 16 October).

Fireworks from D "We have seen half of our customers cancel their reservations," laments the travel agent who postponed his hopes on the new boat. The "Spirit" takes the program for the "Costa" if it is to happen no passengers on board as it was originally intended.

Tomorrow, a cruise will be organized for the day before a second reparte for the night until Thursday. Then booked by a company that takes its guests to see the Vendée Globe 02 to 13 h Saturday, the ship returns to dock for the evening cruise immobile.

Home "travelers" to 18 hours for meals on board, and fireworks "fired from the Ile de Ré" according to the organizer. Night in the cabin, breakfast and lunch on Sunday. Still on the boat. In the early afternoon, the ship will cast this time the ropes.

(1) The night and the food is sold 199 euros per cabin for two people. Reservations at 05 46 87 56 28.

La Rochelle · Tourism

Ah!

so it is a charter which of course Louis can do.

My paranoia is unjustified.

at least thoase in the single cabins will get a good nights sleep sans the 'cement mixer' experience :rolleyes:

Confirmation on HAL forum from someone that Statendam is up for sale. This must be the HAL ship that we found on the cruise ships for sale. Also ties in with the fact their brand new ship is supposedly going to be called Statendam too. Would fit very well indeed with Thomson.

Going to have another look to see if I can find anything else for sale to add to the fleet. ;)

On the HAL forum, someone has posted that he has heard rumours from people within the industry, and also online (might just be me! :D) that Statendam could be going to Thomson. Could be Thomson Spirit's replacement?

Statendam has now been taken down from the website that it was for sale on. Either they're watching me too (:D) or someone has bought/leased it.

On the HAL forum, someone has posted that he has heard rumours from people within the industry, and also online (might just be me! :D) that Statendam could be going to Thomson. Could be Thomson Spirit's replacement?

Statendam has now been taken down from the website that it was for sale on. Either they're watching me too (:D) or someone has bought/leased it.

They also said Saga were interested

bet you 2p that Saga get the ship :D

Just seen it on FB as well doesn't say though where they heard it from.

Where on Facebook was it? What did it say?

If it has been sold, I wonder whether they'll replace it or get rid of the Island Cruises brand completely. You have to wonder that do Thomson really have their full commitment to a cruise line they have with only one ship? :confused:

Archived