Celebrity cruise canceled - what is a day of cruising worth?

RDWills

This might be better fit on the Celebrity board where I'm sure it will get a lot of discussion, but it started me thinking, what is one day of cruising worth? And am I being selfish to think it would not be fair to give inside cabins and the royal suite the same on-board credit for knocking a day off your cruise?

--------------------------------------------------------------

MIAMI, May 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Celebrity Cruises is canceling its June 3 sailing on Summit and shortening by one day its May 27 sailing to replace a radial-bearing unit that is showing premature wear in the ship's starboard propulsion system. The replacement must be made in drydock, so the ship will enter the Victoria Shipyard drydock on June 2 to make the repairs. The cancelled cruise is a seven-night Alaska sailing departing from Vancouver. The ship is expected to resume service June 10.

"I sincerely apologize to our guests for this disruption to their vacation plans," said Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises. "I share in their disappointment and promise that we'll do our best to assist them, as well as our travel agent partners, in rescheduling their vacations."

Guests booked on the June 3 sailing will receive a full refund for their cruise, plus a free future Celebrity cruise from North America of up to seven nights, departing on or before December 15, 2006, excluding holidays. Travel agents will receive their full commission for the June 3 cruise, plus a $50 rebooking fee, per stateroom, when their clients reschedule their cruise. Guests booked on the May 27 sailing, which will conclude one day sooner than scheduled and not make its scheduled port call in Ketchikan, Alaska, will receive a $300-per-stateroom onboard credit, reimbursement of airline change fees or hotel expenses up to $100 per guest and a 25 percent discount on a future Celebrity cruise from North America of up to seven nights, departing on or before June 30, 2006, excluding holidays.

Wow...looks to me like Celebrity is handling this well. The passengers missing their cruise are getting a good deal (full refund, plus a free cruise, plus agent commission and fees!) even though it would be a pain this late in the game.

I don't know what to think about missing the last day, though it seems fair to me (though I booked steerage for my first cruise...)

Yes, you are being selfish. A $300 credit and 25% off a future cruise and all the penalty fees taken care of for losing one day. I'm amazed you would even ask this question. The 25% would be 25 % of whichever category you book. The onboard credit is used for on board spending so what does that have to do with your cabin category?

Those podded propulsion units have been troublesome all along. The thrust bearings can't seem to take the pressures to which they are subjected.

I prefer to sail on a ship with a prop shaft and propellors.

No, you are not being selfish. It should be based on what you paid for your cruise and the appropriate amount refunded. If I paid 300 per day I would expect 300, if I paid 150 per day I would expect 150.

If I had booked a suite, I'd jump at the 25% on my next cruise since that would also be a suite; however, we on the board are not the normal passenger. Many won't be booking a second cruise anytime soon or at least in the next year, in which case I would want 14% of my fare back. If others got more than 14% back, good for them, but I think it would only be fair to refund one days expense based on what you paid.

WOW!!! This is the exact reason why we didn't consider Celebrity for our Alaska trip this summer. We were cancelled on Celebrity Millie last year and didn't want that nightmare again for our one way Alaska sailing this summer. Celeb's loss is HAL's gain!!!

I guess they should get 14% off another cruise then instead of 25% since they are only missing 1/7th of the cruise.

Who is to say the person is taking another cruise, especially with the date restriction?

It should be based on what you paid.

For people who have to put in for their vacation from work a long time in advance, they may not be able to rebook under the deadline established by Celebrity.

There isn't a lot of advance notice here and people who are obliged to take their vacation as scheduled are out of luck for rebooking unless Celebrity is able to accomodate them on another of their ships for the same date.

It is possible some folks may not even be able to take the free cruise.

S7S....the cruisers who were canceled have a year and a half (December, 2006) to take their free cruise. Even the cruisers who lost one day out of their cruise have over a full year (June, 2006) to use the 25% discount. I don't think that's unreasonable. There probably will be some who won't use the 25% discount, but I bet most of the people getting the free cruise will find a way to take it. If my September Summit sailing meets the same fate, Celebrity will have a new best friend calling them every day until I'm booked on a future sailing.

• 10 months later...

You got a great deal! We were on Celebrity Millenium, had 2 days cut short and lost 2 big ports (Rome and Marseilles).. All we got was 20 percent of net cruise price (no port charges included) rebated, no future cruise credit.

Consider yourself very lucky. We didnt feel Celebrity handled this right and so, we are now taking our first HAL cruise!

S7S....the cruisers who were canceled have a year and a half (December, 2006) to take their free cruise. Even the cruisers who lost one day out of their cruise have over a full year (June, 2006) to use the 25% discount. I don't think that's unreasonable. There probably will be some who won't use the 25% discount, but I bet most of the people getting the free cruise will find a way to take it. If my September Summit sailing meets the same fate, Celebrity will have a new best friend calling them every day until I'm booked on a future sailing.

Tricia724 - this is 2006. Based on their comments the ones who lost one day on the cruise have only 2 months to schedule another cruise before they lose this offer. The ones who's cruise was canceled have only until the end of the year to take advantage of their offer.

Just because someone who books a steerage instead of a suite doesn't make them second class cruisers. They could spend the same amount on board as those in suites. People value differently how they spend their monies. We could afford to pay for the suite on our upcoming cruise but choose to spend our monies differently and booked a deluxe veranda instead - we value the veranda instead of a ocean view and paid that additional cost. The saved monies will be spent on on-board activities and excursions instead of the room. It's just a personal preference - IMO.

I do think it is strange that they have only 2006 to take advantage of the discounted cruise offer. Regarding the amount they get off the next cruise I could possibly agree that they should get 25% of the current cruise costs off the next cruise - I see that part of the argument.

I just hope nothing like this happens to us! We REALLY need this vacation!!!!

Blessings!

:o

I just saw that this thread was started a year ago in 2005!!! I agree - this was a good deal all around!

Helps if I pay attention to the posting dates of the original posting!!!!

Blessings!

I started reading these posts without noticing the date. I wondered why I had not read anything about this problem on the Celebrity board. Then I got to the end and saw that it was last year's problem. I wish these boards would lock threads automatically after a certain period without any new posts. That way I wouldn't get suckered into reading them a year later.

Archived