Why Are Other Lines So Much More Expensive

TravelGal22

We have cruised on Carnival, RCI and Celebrity. Celebrity in our opinion is by far the best for quality of food, entertainment and staff attentiveness. Carnival is good for what they offer, but fall far short of the quality of Celebrity.

..............and in my opinion Carnival has better food and selection than RCI & Celebrity. We are not loyal to any particular line; to me there just isn't that much difference in the cruise lines. They all have their good and bad points! :)

We have sailed on Disney and CCL.

I would love to sail the other lines, such as RCCL and Norwegian, just they are too much.

Unless you have some sort of Disney employee discount, you need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples. If you take for instance a sailing on the newest that each cruise line has to offer, this is what I found for the cheapest inside rate sailing on March 2 or 3 of next year not including taxes for a 7 day cruise.

RCI Oasis of the Seas 799

RCI Allure of the Seas 999

NCL Epic 629

Disney Fantasy 1295

The other Disney ships that sail out of Miami or Pt Canaveral only do 3, 4 & 5 day sailings, so of course they would be cheaper. Using the same time parameters as above, the Disney Dream has a 4 day sailing for 720 and the Wonder has a 5 day for 499. What I am saying is that if you can afford to cruise on Disney and you pay normal prices, then you can certainly afford to cruise on NCL and RCI.

Thanks so much for all of the interesting replies. I have learned allot from this thread. I've booked the Celebrity Summit for the end of Nov. 2013 and paid $589 for an OV in one of their refurbished cabins that has a huge window. We are very excited to try a new line and the itinerary is fantastic! It is for 7 days I believe.

Great choice. You will have a blast. :)

My experience on Carnival was not a good one. After being on Princess, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL, Carnival would be my last choice even if the price was really low. Do you like an Lexus or a Mazda?

I used to feel like you until I tried Carnival and frankly it is pretty equal and in someways better than RCI , NCL & even gasp Celebrity .

We have sailed on Disney and CCL.

I would love to sail the other lines, such as RCCL and Norwegian, just they are too much.

Unless you have some sort of Disney employee discount, you need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.What I am saying is that if you can afford to cruise on Disney and you pay normal prices, then you can certainly afford to cruise on NCL and RCI.
Yes I was also confused by crusinfamof4 post. Disney is almost always more then the other 3.

When you say "they are too much", are you referring to something other then $'s?

We cruised Royal Caribbean once and it was fine... and we will cruise them again to check-out Oasis or Allure of the Seas... but the only differences I remember between our Royal Caribbean cruise and Carnival are...

*Royal Caribbean allowed us to order the dining room menu for room service ~ even on formal night ~ we ordered escargot, chateaubriand, etc delivered to our room.

*Royal Caribbean had an ice skating rink on the ship but we didn't even know until the last day.

*Royal Caribbean had really strict alcohol policies so we couldn't order a bottle of alcohol to be in our room pre-cruise nor could we even get the bartender to give us a "glass" of alcohol (so we could take it to our room and make drinks, sit, read on the balcony).

*Excellent Internet connection

*A dedicated bar for smokers - 24/7

Overall, we didn't see anything that negated an increase in price. We loved our Royal Caribbean cruise. I'm sure we'll love another cruise with them. We have loved our Carnival cruises too. We like Carnival better and will continue to cruise Carnival for three main reasons:

*You can wear jeans to dinner

*You can order bon voyage alcohol

*Best prices in the industry without upcharges everywhere

On the same note, my relatives are wealthy which makes them think they should spend their money foolishly (it seems) and they cruised Carnival with us last year... and their biggest complaint of the cruise?? Noone was wearing tuxedos or formals but them. Seriously. THAT was their big "look down our noses on Carnival" complaint. My husband and I are still young-ish (30s) and I work every day at a job where I wear nice clothes... I do not enjoy dressing-up on vacation... it's the ONLY time I get to wear jeans!! They are old, retired, and they sit at home in jeans every day - they are just looking for a place to dress-up.... which is why they usually cruise with the old people... on Princess. I really hope when I get old I'm not so closed minded and foolish with my money.

• 3 weeks later...
My experience on Carnival was not a good one. After being on Princess, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL, Carnival would be my last choice even if the price was really low. Do you like an Lexus or a Mazda?

Can i ask When did you cruise CCL and what ship?

Not questioning your opinion at all, but we have actually felt carnival has been improving their product, especially value for dollar spent while RCCL has declined and NCL is next to last on our favorites after MSC, even though we are going on POA to Hawaii because its the best sailing for our situation.

Our favorite is HAL, we don't get to take them as much as we like for various reasons and we certainly consider them a notch up from the rest I've mentioned.

We find the longer ( 1week + ) cruises are better on all lines, and here lately CCL has offered good value for the money: reasonable prices, simpler foods prepared with fresh ingredients and some fun new 2.0 improvements with a relaxed, informal atmosphere, which i enjoy in the islands.

You may want to give them another look if the opportunity presents itself, I think you would be surprised .

Please don't think I'm questioning your judgement, you obviously have cruised quite a bit and know what you like:)

If a quieter time is what OP is looking for, HAL, Princess and Celebrity might fit the bill better than Carnival, Royal or Norwegian.

Celebrity as OP booked should be an excellent choice.

I am giving Celebrity a try myself, but on their newest ship over Christmas so I doubt it will quiet. It will be the first time I venture off the big three in cruise lines. I also intent to try Princess sometime next year. Heard good things about Hal and it's smaller ships but also heard awful things about their smoking policy. So HAL will not be in the immediate future.

I have sailed on all the major lines, including Cunard. Each has advantages and disadvantages. It depends on the on-board management. On a recent Celebrity cruise, men with shorts a t-shirts were allowed into the MDR on formal nights. I like the Princess ship designs best. Carnival has more drive-to home ports and the best dessert (warm chocolate melting cake). Carnival MDR food is usually quite good.

Itinerary is usually the first thing I look for, then cruise line. Price is also a factor, but higher prices don't always mean a better cruise.

I just got off a Disney cruise this past week. It was my 25th cruise after cruising on the three mainstream lines (CCL, RCCL, NCL). I have always been curious to know what the experience would be like as it was quite a bit more money then I would have paid on Carnival for the same cruise.

There was a lot more staff present.

They do not say no and go to great lengths to get whatever you need to make sure you are happy (I didn't really test this, but many people talked about it).

The ship was spotless and there was constant cleaning and detailing. I never saw anything laying out anywhere

The shows were full fledged major productions and they had three big shows on a four day cruise.

Basically, all of the products are a step above. They give you individual shampoo, conditioner and body lotion for example.

The ice cream is real (both soft serve and hand dipped). The buffet was great (Lamb, crab legs, big shrimp, etc). Free sodas with a lot of machines. There was more, but it is all in the details.

When you go to a photographer for a picture (with a character or a set) they have a staff member standing there to take a picture with your personal camera, as well as, a professional photographer. They actually encourage you to take your own pictures.

With all that said, I did find the ship crowded at times. Their birth ratio is pretty high with all the extra beds in the cabins. I was not a fan of the MDR food. Some was good, but there were too many misses. I was a little surprised by this. I did, however, like the rotational dining. Great concept and a lot of fun to go to a different dining room every night.

We are not really Disney fans either. I just wanted the experience. I am glad I did it, but would probably not do it again.

Next up for us is Celebrity, which I have wanted to try for awhile.

I just got off a Disney cruise this past week. It was my 25th cruise after cruising on the three mainstream lines (CCL, RCCL, NCL). I have always been curious to know what the experience would be like as it was quite a bit more money then I would have paid on Carnival for the same cruise.

There was a lot more staff present.

They do not say no and go to great lengths to get whatever you need to make sure you are happy (I didn't really test this, but many people talked about it).

The ship was spotless and there was constant cleaning and detailing. I never saw anything laying out anywhere

The shows were full fledged major productions and they had three big shows on a four day cruise.

Basically, all of the products are a step above. They give you individual shampoo, conditioner and body lotion for example.

The ice cream is real (both soft serve and hand dipped). The buffet was great (Lamb, crab legs, big shrimp, etc). Free sodas with a lot of machines. There was more, but it is all in the details.

When you go to a photographer for a picture (with a character or a set) they have a staff member standing there to take a picture with your personal camera, as well as, a professional photographer. They actually encourage you to take your own pictures.

With all that said, I did find the ship crowded at times. Their birth ratio is pretty high with all the extra beds in the cabins. I was not a fan of the MDR food. Some was good, but there were too many misses. I was a little surprised by this. I did, however, like the rotational dining. Great concept and a lot of fun to go to a different dining room every night.

We are not really Disney fans either. I just wanted the experience. I am glad I did it, but would probably not do it again.

Next up for us is Celebrity, which I have wanted to try for awhile.

This is what I have heard from someone who has worked for Disney for MANY years...and sails both Disney and Carnival (as well as other lines)....

that surprised me as well....

however he did say that the Disney presentation is top notch!!

I don't understand why people insist on comparing cruiseline A to B...the only real similarity is that they are all hotels on water. And, just like their land based cousins, though they both have rooms and beds, it is really about what the consumer wants and what the consumer is willing to pay for.

Besides, if what I wanted from a vacation was emphasis on a "certain" thing, I wouldn't be Cruising, anywhos, because what the lines are offering is a potpourri or a smorgasbord with emphasis on what they do "best". Entertainment...well obviously Disney 'cause that is what they have been doing for 80 years, Service...well I would pick a line where the ration of guests to staff is as close to 1 to 1 as possible and the fewer pax the better, food...obviously a cruise ship who only has a single source for food (no general buffet service or specialty locations), accommodations...lines where suites are the norm with private butler service, activities...big pools, water slides, sports courts, fitness centers, jogging tracks. A cruise line ISN'T for every passenger...some are about peeps with money, some about peeps with kids, some about peeps with time, some about peeps who want to live the experience of the Titanic (1st class) without the ice-berg, some about peeps who want private time, some about peeps who go to Las Vegas for the entertainment and not the gambling.

NO cruise can do it all...if someone thinks that they should they are in for a rude awakening no matter who they cruise. Its like thinking that a two week tour of Europe will allow you to see everything...it just doesn't happen.

I don't understand why people insist on comparing cruiseline A to B...the only real similarity is that they are all hotels on water. And' date=' just like their land based cousins, though they both have rooms and beds, it is really about what the consumer wants and what the consumer is willing to pay for.

Besides, if what I wanted from a vacation was emphasis on a "certain" thing, I wouldn't be Cruising, anywhos, because what the lines are offering is a potpourri or a smorgasbord with emphasis on what they do "best". Entertainment...well obviously Disney 'cause that is what they have been doing for 80 years, Service...well I would pick a line where the ration of guests to staff is as close to 1 to 1 as possible and the fewer pax the better, food...obviously a cruise ship who only has a single source for food (no general buffet service or specialty locations), accommodations...lines where suites are the norm with private butler service, activities...big pools, water slides, sports courts, fitness centers, jogging tracks. A cruise line ISN'T for every passenger...some are about peeps with money, some about peeps with kids, some about peeps with time, some about peeps who want to live the experience of the Titanic (1st class) without the ice-berg, some about peeps who want private time, some about peeps who go to Las Vegas for the entertainment and not the gambling.

NO cruise can do it all...if someone thinks that they should they are in for a rude awakening no matter who they cruise. Its like thinking that a two week tour of Europe will allow you to see everything...it just doesn't happen.[/quote']

It is human nature. People want to know what the differences are before they put down their money. The title of this thread was "Why are other lines so much more expensive". People were chiming in on what makes some cruise companies more of a "Premium Line" vs a "Mainstream". I figured it was a discussion of the differences so people could make an educated guess on wether they would want to spend the extra money to sail said lines.

This is why I talked of my Disney cruise. Of course the entertainment is going to be much, much, better. This is what Disney does. However, some people might not immediately think of this when they first hear of Disney Cruise Lines. They probably don't know of some of the smaller details as well. Things like they offer Elemis products along with after shave, razors, various lotions, slippers and robes in the free locker room.

Also, a lot of people who come on this forum are new to cruising. They haven't been around like some of us here. They generally want to know what the differences are between lines because it isn't always apparent.

It is human nature. People want to know what the differences are before they put down their money. The title of this thread was "Why are other lines so much more expensive". People were chiming in on what makes some cruise companies more of a "Premium Line" vs a "Mainstream". I figured it was a discussion of the differences so people could make an educated guess on wether they would want to spend the extra money to sail said lines.

This is why I talked of my Disney cruise. Of course the entertainment is going to be much, much, better. This is what Disney does. However, some people might not immediately think of this when they first hear of Disney Cruise Lines. They probably don't know of some of the smaller details as well. Things like they offer Elemis products along with after shave, razors, various lotions, slippers and robes in the free locker room.

Also, a lot of people who come on this forum are new to cruising. They haven't been around like some of us here. They generally want to know what the differences are between lines because it isn't always apparent.

I understand....but my point is you can say something is more expensive because it does A B and C without degrading something else because it does it differently and that is what I read so often. To say Cruise A has better entertainment than Cruise B is subjective. To say that Cruise A is known for their Entertainment that incorporates their 70 years of experience is sufficient, no one needs to add that Cruise B is inferior because it doesn't have that expertise.

Looking to do a cruise that includes St. Lucia and would like to try another cruise line just to see what it is like. They cost so much more than Carnival and I don't understand why. Could someone that has been on a different line please explain this to me?

It's difficult to respond to such a generalized comment. This is not always the case. Often other cruiselines are less expensive than Carnival for some cruises. You need to take the time and do the research for specific cruises and dates. You also have to factor in other costs, like transportant, hotels, etc.

I understand....but my point is you can say something is more expensive because it does A B and C without degrading something else because it does it differently and that is what I read so often. To say Cruise A has better entertainment than Cruise B is subjective. To say that Cruise A is known for their Entertainment that incorporates their 70 years of experience is sufficient' date=' no one needs to add that Cruise B is inferior because it doesn't have that expertise.[/quote']

Oh alright, I didn't realize you were referencing another post. Thank makes more sense and I completely agree with that. I get tired of the bashing as well, but that also seems to be something a lot of people feel they need to do. It seems when people make a brand choice (Toyota vs Honda, CCL vs RCCL, Playstation vs Xbox, etc) they feel the need to bash the competitor to make it seem their choice was the "right" one. I find it annoying to say the least.

Since I'm single I usually cruise solo so CCL fits me when it comes to the cruise price but CCL has changed over the years when it comes to the amount of Families on their ships so I would like it to try other lines it is just a matter if I want dish out more money.

Gary

I get tired of the bashing as well, but that also seems to be something a lot of people feel they need to do. It seems when people make a brand choice (Toyota vs Honda, CCL vs RCCL, Playstation vs Xbox, etc) they feel the need to bash the competitor to make it seem their choice was the "right" one. I find it annoying to say the least.

That is what really frustrated me over on the Royal boards. I was over there gathering some information before our Explorer cruise over Labor Day and I was bashed big time by the Loyal Royals. The most adamant bashers were those who had switched allegiances from Carnival to Royal. I had thought of taking the time to give a review of our cruise, but I then I said to myself, why bother, I would just have to spend more time defending my right to spend my vacation dollars the way I want.

Since I'm single I usually cruise solo so CCL fits me when it comes to the cruise price but CCL has changed over the years when it comes to the amount of Families on their ships so I would like it to try other lines it is just a matter if I want dish out more money.

Gary

In case you did not know, Norwegian has solo cabins on their newer ships like the Epic and the Breakaway that might be appropriate for you.

Gary

Other lines still have lower single supplements. It depends on the sailing, date, etc but it is worth looking into. Princess, RCCL and NCL all have lower single fares on a lot of their dates. Sometimes they will only show closer to the sailing, but I know Princess with throw then out there pretty early at times.

That is what really frustrated me over on the Royal boards. I was over there gathering some information before our Explorer cruise over Labor Day and I was bashed big time by the Loyal Royals. The most adamant bashers were those who had switched allegiances from Carnival to Royal. I had thought of taking the time to give a review of our cruise, but I then I said to myself, why bother, I would just have to spend more time defending my right to spend my vacation dollars the way I want.

Trust me, I know where you are coming from. I cruise different lines, but the majority of my cruises have been Carnival. I get irritated by the looks I get when someone asks me what line I did what cruise on and I reply Carnival. It happens all the time. People feel the need to have something to look down upon.

I admit, I am not a fan of the changes Carnival has made recently. However, it is still a great value for the money at times. I am cruising less and less with them, but I would never be condecending to someone who does. That is just rude.

Gary

Gary NCL has studios specially priced for singles normally 250 dep vs 500 dep today for a special a 125 deposit and once onboard you can buy an FCC for 250 and get 100 OBC on the present cruise

Gary NCL has studios specially priced for singles normally 250 dep vs 500 dep today for a special a 125 deposit and once onboard you can buy an FCC for 250 and get 100 OBC on the present cruise

yes they do --have seen one ---they are quite nice and there is a private lounge for peeps in singles cabins

Archived